Cicada

Question in regards to Schools/Grading

16 posts in this topic

Hey, sorry that I've been asking too much about schools, I just wanna know as much before I can start preparing. First things first, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've heard somewhere that you need High School credits or something like that, and even to get into High School from Middle School you'd need to have some credits, again. I would like to know if you're an Immigrant (LPR / Permanent Resident F2A Visa) how would they go on by getting your credits from before you joined in? 

Basically, I just wanna know how they'll "simulate" or "generate" other years before your year if you entered school at let's say 9th grade. How would they get the credits for 7th, 8th, and so on. 

Sorry if my question's unclear, please lemme know if you've experienced this or have any idea, here's some things that I already know from previous answers:
They'll get my school records from where I lived (Egypt) or they'll test me, or do both. 

I don't know if that also works on this situation.
Thanks!

You need to get your records from your old schools and check what the US require. You will probably need a transcript. But it's on you to acquire that paperwork. 

They might also test you and place you in proper grade. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Yes I understand that, but I was asking if the US has like, Middle School credits that are required to be at a certain number before you can go to High School, if that is the case, then will they figure it out based on the tests?

I know it's a confusing question a bit, but it's because I've heard about High School credits/Middle School credits before you go to the next level. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You should probably contact the appropriate School District to ask.  Each might have its own criteria, or criteria set by the state.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

That sounds like a good idea.  Good luck.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 8/14/2018 at 3:15 AM, Cicada said:

Yes I understand that, but I was asking if the US has like, Middle School credits that are required to be at a certain number before you can go to High School, if that is the case, then will they figure it out based on the tests?

I know it's a confusing question a bit, but it's because I've heard about High School credits/Middle School credits before you go to the next level. 

No, they know other school systems may work totally differently. Make sure you get your school report/transcript as well as any conversion of grades (what percentage translate to an A can mean something very different in different countries) and the school will figure out where to place you, usually determined on some combination of grades achieved (the school my child entered focused on English and math grades) and age. 

Filed: Timeline

Do not waste your time getting middle school or high school records.  There are useless here in the US.  There is no such thing as transferring credits from a foreign high school to a US high school.

When a child enrolls in a middle school or high school, the school will assess the child and place the child in the appropriate classes.  This is true even for US citizen children who enroll in new schools without records from their previous schools.

Lots of immigrant kids immigrate here without school records and are fine.

==========

You may need school records to show the petitioning parent is listed as the parent on the school records.  This would be good for your interview.

===========

My LPR brother petitioned for his kids over age 21.  They are enrolled in community college.  Didn't need anything from the home country.  

==========

The only 2 questions at F2b visa interview: 1.  When was the last time you saw your father?  (Last year when he visited.)

2.  When was the last time you talk to your father?  (Last night.  He called me on FaceTime.) 

Visas approved.  Never looked at any paperwork they brought with them.

Edited by Jojo92122

2 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

Do not waste your time getting middle school or high school records.  There are useless here in the US.  There is no such thing as transferring credits from a foreign high school to a US high school.

When a child enrolls in a middle school or high school, the school will assess the child and place the child in the appropriate classes.  This is true even for US citizen children who enroll in new schools without records from their previous schools.

Lots of immigrant kids immigrate here without school records and are fine.

Too broad a statement. Both schools my kids were put into looked at their past school records to determine what grade to put them in, and for the older kid, what math class to put her into. Both of them would probably have been put a year lower without their records (due to age + different school year) and both have done very well in their assigned grades. Yes of course they have to put you somewhere even without school records, but having those records can only help find a good fit.  Agree there is no transferring credits, but that doesn’t mean records are useless. If you have them, bring them.

Oh, on another note - not sure if you’ve asked this elsewhere - be sure to make a copy of the vaccination worksheet you get at your immigration medical exam to take to the school with you as it’s set out in such a way that the school will easily be able to see if you meet its vaccination requirements (which you should if you’ve passed the visa medical).

Alright, so thank you all so much for replying, this made it better, so far what I can get is.

--When I go for my Medical (Still waiting for our priority date, we should be for Sept) get my vaccination records which come with the Visa Medical. Okay, sure.
-- I have my School Records but ones in Egypt, so I finished till 7th grade, took a pause and it's been 2 years, won't go too far into why we took a pause, long story. But I should be in 9th grade, most likely will be placed in 8th grade.

Lemme summarize what I learned so far from all your guys' comments (Appreciated btw) 
(1) Bring Visa Medical vaccination records (Do-able) 
(2) Bring School Transcripts (Do-able) 
(3) Ask the school district about what type of system they have for enrolling students who are Immigrants. 
[Question/Unsure] ---> (4) That there are no "credits" for Middle School to go to High School?
So therefore they'd just work off my past grades from my past school records then they'd place me accordingly.

Another question so I can just be sure, will the grades from my past schools be put into my High School Degree? (Sorry I'm not familiar with how US School systems) 
Or if they're not, then what's going to be a filler. ((If this was answered already please remind me again. I'm a bit tired, it's 11 AM here.)

I'm just really anxious about this fellas, don't mind me haha.

Thanks in advance. 

Timeline

Someone else can answer your newest questions (I can't; sorry).

I'd like to say that you should get multiple certified copies of vaccination & school records.

You'll need them.

Get the same for other expensive/hard-to-get official documents (birth certificate, etc.).

You'll be glad you did.

2 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Someone else can answer your newest questions (I can't; sorry).

I'd like to say that you should get multiple certified copies of vaccination & school records.

Maybe school dependent but we didn't need to certify any of the above. 

8 hours ago, Cicada said:

Alright, so thank you all so much for replying, this made it better, so far what I can get is.

--When I go for my Medical (Still waiting for our priority date, we should be for Sept) get my vaccination records which come with the Visa Medical. Okay, sure.
-- I have my School Records but ones in Egypt, so I finished till 7th grade, took a pause and it's been 2 years, won't go too far into why we took a pause, long story. But I should be in 9th grade, most likely will be placed in 8th grade.

Lemme summarize what I learned so far from all your guys' comments (Appreciated btw) 
(1) Bring Visa Medical vaccination records (Do-able) 
(2) Bring School Transcripts (Do-able) 
(3) Ask the school district about what type of system they have for enrolling students who are Immigrants. 
[Question/Unsure] ---> (4) That there are no "credits" for Middle School to go to High School?
So therefore they'd just work off my past grades from my past school records then they'd place me accordingly.

Another question so I can just be sure, will the grades from my past schools be put into my High School Degree? (Sorry I'm not familiar with how US School systems) 
Or if they're not, then what's going to be a filler. ((If this was answered already please remind me again. I'm a bit tired, it's 11 AM here.)

I'm just really anxious about this fellas, don't mind me haha.

Thanks in advance. 

1. Yes (bring a copy as they may want to keep it for their records)

2. yes

3. no need to ask - they will do whatever they do when you get there and register

4. No, middle school ends when it ends and high school is a 'clean slate' so to speak. (The only link is that some kids are more advanced and do for example math classes in middle school that others will only do in high school, so some will be ahead, but again what class you can go into will be assessed on your past record anyway. But a high school transcript in the US will only has the high school classes and grades on it, nothing is carried over.)

You won't be able to transfer grades from an overseas school as far as i know. If you have already started high school and you go in later than a new freshman, then discuss with your counsellor about how they will calculate your grades, GPAs, college requirements etc.  Again, this is not unusual, many people do it, the school will have a system to deal with it. Actually your counselor will probably have a long session with you to explain everything anyway when you register at the school - that's what happened when we arrived - so you should be good!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.