BRENTWOOD

Should we move from California to Arizona????

46 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, BRENTWOOD said:

Yes brutally hot so make sure to have A/C and stay out of peak heat times... for sure especially I'm from Canada haha so either deal with snow or extreme heat :) 

Do you think it is a good place to start a family? or start out a life as a new married couple? I feel the pros outweigh the cons in arizona whereas cali the cons seem to outweigh the pros, people suffer for the perfect weather every day I guess haha I will admit the weather is perfect here can't complain about that but my dreams are more important than the weather!

Thanks for your advice! 

I have lived in southern, middle, and northern Arizona.

Most locations, at least when I lived there, had swamp coolers...it's too dry for normal AC.

Also the temperature in the desert at night can be quite cold compared to day temperatures.

If I could pick where to live in Arizona, it would be in the northern part of the state.

Phoenix is too large.

Southern part is too barren and hot.

Northern part has hills/mountains that actually get snow.  So you might feel a little more at home there.

While the money won't be as much in smaller towns, the quality of life will far outweigh that imo.

Just be open minded and take advantage of wherever it is you decide to move to.  

Appreciate the people and customs... :-)

jj

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Bay Area native here. Most of my adult life I've lived elsewhere. Moved back here almost 3 years ago. Primary reason I'm here is family. If I were in your situation, I'd probably move. Life is too short to deal with the cost of living here, plus the traffic and whatnot. Great food and weather, but that's not enough to stay right? 

That being said, you won't get a better wage as a nurse and probably won't get better conditions than you will in CA. I met a ton of nurses last year, and many of them moved here from elsewhere in the country. Why? A) great pay and b) due to state laws, the nurse:patient ratio is better than the rest of the country. Does that outweigh the hoops you have to jump through to become licensed here? I have no idea. I am not a nurse myself nor work in the medical field. Just thought I'd share that bit of info. 

Edited to add: there are a ton of other places besides AZ too. I'd look at CO, UT, NM, ID, and even OR if wanting to stay in the western US. 

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, BRENTWOOD said:

Hello,

Not sure if anyone has any advice on this, but I thought I would throw it out there anyways because everyone is always SO extremely helpful on this site and they have gotten me through some difficult times. My question is I am having a difficult time with California I find it very expensive, very crowded, very unforgiving. Basically we are living in the Bay Area and houses are over $1 million its just unaffordable, a decent rental is about $2900/month. With me not working and my husband is a chiropractor we don't necessarily need to be in this area but we feel stuck. Our lease is ending end of August and I am considering that we just pick it all up and move to Arizona which would be much more affordable in terms of property. Can get  a nice house for $300 k rent is about $1000/month? Also in California the nursing board is making it very difficult for me to become a nurse here, they want me to take a microbiology course and a psychology course with my Canadian degree and just a million hidden fees and costs of living in California. Is leaving a good idea or is it a rash decision? I have lived here for 4 months and my husband for 5 years he is from Chicago and went to chiro school here. Anyways any advice or experience is greatly appreciated. We are slightly lost at the moment so come on down with any ideas! hahah

Thanks!

❤️

Take time be patient CABRN isn't making u do anything extra that any foreign degreed person has had to go through. Each yr tighter restrictions with the board due to fraud and patient safety.  As a 16 yr nurse endorsed here and someone who is chiropractor with CA license here 2yrs endorsed. Ca can seem tuff at times but just rethink through. Also the valley is at least 1000 cheaper a month than the bay area.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
3 hours ago, BRENTWOOD said:

Hello,

Not sure if anyone has any advice on this, but I thought I would throw it out there anyways because everyone is always SO extremely helpful on this site and they have gotten me through some difficult times. My question is I am having a difficult time with California I find it very expensive, very crowded, very unforgiving. Basically we are living in the Bay Area and houses are over $1 million its just unaffordable, a decent rental is about $2900/month. With me not working and my husband is a chiropractor we don't necessarily need to be in this area but we feel stuck. Our lease is ending end of August and I am considering that we just pick it all up and move to Arizona which would be much more affordable in terms of property. Can get  a nice house for $300 k rent is about $1000/month? Also in California the nursing board is making it very difficult for me to become a nurse here, they want me to take a microbiology course and a psychology course with my Canadian degree and just a million hidden fees and costs of living in California. Is leaving a good idea or is it a rash decision? I have lived here for 4 months and my husband for 5 years he is from Chicago and went to chiro school here. Anyways any advice or experience is greatly appreciated. We are slightly lost at the moment so come on down with any ideas! hahah

Thanks!

❤️

I have been living in California for 21years now and I will not go to anywhere else. How does your husband feel about moving? Yes rent is very expensive but the weather is amazing. There are other areas in California that are less expensive than the bay area. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would say move. California is overly expensive for no reason at all. There are lots of places with the same weather, food, etc at less than 50% of the cost. 75k a year will take  you miles further in Arizona than 150k a year where you are now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, BRENTWOOD said:

. Anyways any advice or experience is greatly appreciated. We are slightly lost at the moment so come on down with any ideas! hahah

Thanks!

❤️

I lived in Cal twice, but nor more than a few years each, and that is in 79' and yes, the red tape was crazy then  to start a small business.  I don't even like stepping foot over the line if I don't need to.   I am an Arizonian, 32 years, 30 of it in the same place.  You could also consider Nevada without their income tax,  Tahoe is great and so is around Vegas but prices are topping off now.  In AZ, it's pretty much conservative red state, as in they respect the 2nd Amendment, ie Carry open or concealed without the permission of the state.  It's a right to work state so unions have little influence here.  Yes it's got for a couple months, but I'm used to it.  Flagstaff is nice, high up, cool, gets snow in the winter but melts off.  Sedona is the top of the line in fine housing and beauty.  Phoenix and Tucson is too crowded, and for me living near the clean blue Colorado river is a water lovers Mecca!  Great ghost towns to visit and wine that does not have traces of radiation.  Pay scale is lower but so is cost of living. Smaller towns, you get a new home for $160s, give or take.  I do agree with others though, take a a few days and make the loop around Arizona, and you use Zillow to look at real estate, google stats on the state for averages etc.  Best of luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I totally get the appeal of the Bay Area having lived in Vancouver, BC most of my life. San Fran would easily be my number 1 city to live in. But the cost of living is out of this world. My spouse is a dual citizen but grew up in Southern California. We waited too long to relocate and if it wasn't so expensive we'd be living in Cali. The politics is about as similar as you will get in contrast to Canada. I love the lifestyle, climate and the people. But how anyone with a middle income can make it in the Bay area is beyond me.

We decided on Las Vegas because it's one of the last major cities with homes under 300K. Our house is a beauty and only a couple years old. No state tax and there is always a ton of stuff to do. It can feel transient with so many people coming and going. However, people I have found to be very warm. I've managed to make friends since moving here in March. The politics has been something to get used to having moved down from Canada. Fortunately in the Vegas area though it's pretty split. Whereas in Arizona you will find it more red. There is an overall do what you want approach in Vegas. Marijuana just became legal and you meet "professional dancers". Vegas is a very diverse city with mormons, military, entertainers and average working professionals.

We just came back from a vacation from So Cal. From here to LA is under 4 hours driving (if you need an ocean fix). The awesome part of living in Vegas is flights are cheap everywhere. It's a short drive to Cali if you want to get away for a long weekend. My spouse having grown up in Cali loves the close proximity. A lot of Californians are cashing out and coming this way just because of what you get with your money. The overall cost of living is very reasonable. The freeways can get a bit of congestion but after returning from SoCal we don't have much to complain about.

My spouse's head office is in Arizona and from his chats the way of life is a bit different. Values can be different. It might be worth vacationing and getting a feel of what you are getting into. We went on several vacations to Vegas before we took the plunge and we were glad we did. Reality is always different but we were able to talk to the locals and see what things were like. I love Vegas for the fact you always have visitors coming. It's not lonely. There is always stuff to do. There are also lots of palm trees :). It's hot June, July and August but the rest of the year is great. Just thought I'd throw it out as an option.

I love California.  My son graduated from Berkeley in May of this year, and at 22 is living the life as a software engineer in the Mission in SF.  

I was born in Seattle, and although I have travelled the world and the USA, I still live in Seattle.  I am an oncology RN.  Nursing wages for experienced RNs here are excellent.  I have worked alongside numerous Canadian nurses throughout my career, and I don't believe they had to jump through hoops, except for taking the state boards for a license.  

Quality of life is is great.  Housing prices are out of control, however, and many people predict we are on our way to becoming another Bay Area.  We are right there with Vancouver in terms of prices.

Last April I took my younger son to Arizona to check out ASU.  I loved it.  I particularly love the desert plants, and the lack of mud!   

I could see living there in winters, but I couldn't live where the temps are incompatible with human life for 4-6 months of the year.  Also, I love living near saltwater.  

Good luck with your choices.  Luckily, you both work great fields with lots of options!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't know about the rest of the requirements, but microbiology is usually a pre-requisite to even get into a nursing program in this area.

That being said, I'd move somewhere with a low cost of living.  It is a lot less pressure on you two and as a nurse, I can't imagine your salary will be vastly different in both places.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Did you check if your nursing degree is going to be recognized in Arizona? I would move to a state where you can easily work (you by getting licenced, your spouse by getting clients). 

Personally, Arizona is not for me, but it might be the best place for you :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

It all depends on where you live in California, though I would agree with you that the cost of living here is a lot higher compared to other states. Personally, I live in a small desert town in the Mojave Desert and the cost of living is very low compared to other areas. It ultimately just depends on what you're looking for. 

unitedstates.gift4518.gifbelgium-flag.gif

Met Online March 3, 2016

Became a couple April 2, 2016

First trip to Belgium: June 28 - August 11, 2016

Second trip to Belgium: December 15, 2016 - March 11, 2017

K1

Sent in I-129F September 14, 2016

Visa received in hand April 6, 2017

I-129F to K1 in hand: 204 days (6 months 23 days)

Arrived into the US May 10, 2017

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Sent AOS packet January 19, 2018

Greencard received in mail June 14, 2018

AOS to Greencard in hand: 146 days (4 months 26 days)  

2 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

I don't know about the rest of the requirements, but microbiology is usually a pre-requisite to even get into a nursing program in this area.

That being said, I'd move somewhere with a low cost of living.  It is a lot less pressure on you two and as a nurse, I can't imagine your salary will be vastly different in both places.

Nurse salaries does vary greatly from state to state... NP in Mass, California and a few other states will hit 6-figure; and only make half of that in Alabama or Mississippi.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Nurse salaries does vary greatly from state to state... NP in Mass, California and a few other states will hit 6-figure; and only make half of that in Alabama or Mississippi.

A NP only makes 50k in those states?  Do they have a smaller scope of practice or something?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

2 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

A NP only makes 50k in those states?  Do they have a smaller scope of practice or something?

I don't think so, my guess is that most of them are not unionized and that is still an ok salary to live there. I'll have to ask my nurse friends/relatives I'd they know more about it. 

It's probably similar to police officers salaries/specialized trades.  Not necessarily much more in their pockets in the end with the difference in COL.

11 hours ago, BRENTWOOD said:

Hello,

Thanks!

❤️

Honestly I don't blame you for wanting to move.  I, too live in the Bay Area.  I was born and raised here and can't wait to move.  California is beautiful, but ridiculously expensive.  I say go for it.  A lot of people are moving from California and I heard Arizona is pretty nice.  You can definitely live a high quality life outside of California.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.