RevGreen

Changing name after marriage

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

After arrival (but before we married) my wife obtained a SSN & card with her maiden name. We married last week, and today attempted to change the name on her SS card. Our local SS Office stated they can't change the name until it's been changed with DHS.

Any experience with this? Does this mean we need to also obtain her ID and license with her maiden name? Wait until AOS is completed to change her name to her married name? If that's the case, what do use for filling out the AOS / AP documents we will be sending in? Her married name or maiden name.

Edited by RevGreen

16 minutes ago, RevGreen said:

After arrival (but before we married) my wife obtained a SSN & card with her maiden name. We married last week, and today attempted to change the name on her SS card. Our local SS Office stated they can't change the name until it's been changed with DHS.

Any experience with this? Does this mean we need to also obtain her ID and license with her maiden name? Wait until AOS is completed to change her name to her married name? If that's the case, what do use for filling out the AOS / AP documents we will be sending in? Her married name or maiden name.

When did your wife come into the USA? If it's after the 90 day period then you will have to wait for the AP.

10 minutes ago, RevGreen said:

It's not 90 days yet, we still have 2 weeks or so.

Still not enough time left in 90 day window. Once it gets down to about 2 weeks left the SSA won't do anything. So now you have to wait, but don't worry because it's not a big deal. 

Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

Still not enough time left in 90 day window. Once it gets down to about 2 weeks left the SSA won't do anything. So now you have to wait, but don't worry because it's not a big deal. 

Most of the time you have to wait for your NOA1 from your AOS to get a license in your state. 

You'll get there, RevGreen. :)

Timeline
Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

So what about other documents? Should we just continue using her maiden name until the process is done, and then worry about changing it?

They usually want to see a government issued ID with her new married name to change it at the ssa. So you should apply for ead, ap and aos in her married name if that’s what she wants, and when she gets her ead/ap card, she can use that to change her name on the ss card. It’s that or else wait for the green card

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jaquelly said:

Most of the time you have to wait for your NOA1 from your AOS to get a license in your state. 

You'll get there, RevGreen. :)

Our local office said we only need the I94 /NOA2, Marriage Cert / SS Card / proof of address

Just now, RevGreen said:

Our local office said we only need the I94 /NOA2, Marriage Cert / SS Card / proof of address

In Texas, at least, my husband had to wait for his NOA1 for the AOS. I am not sure what it is in Kentucky to get her license. 

Also, when we went to get his SSA registered, they took his paperwork but said that it might take a few weeks for it to be issued since they couldn't verify it against the DHS system.

This is totally normal. I am sorry they didn't take her application, but you'll get there. :)

1 hour ago, RevGreen said:

So what about other documents? Should we just continue using her maiden name until the process is done, and then worry about changing it?

Until you get the SSN card changed then yes.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Yes, we’ve had experience with this. Go back to SS office or to a different one. Bring your marriage certificate showing name change and apply for card with new name. Talk to a supervisor if necessary. 

Immigration status

To prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us your current U.S. immigration document, such as:

• Form I-551 (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa);
  • I-766 (Employment Authorization Document, EAD, work permit); or
  • I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) or admission stamp in the unexpired foreign passport.

This is from the social security web site. You can get a corrected card. You do not have to wait for your EAD

17 hours ago, RevGreen said:

I would highly encourage you to get DL as soon as you get new social security card!

17 hours ago, RevGreen said:

Use her married name on all AOS paperwork, EAD and AP.  Very important to do this in order to prevent headaches down the road for name change with USCIS. Good luck!

Timeline

So I still don't fully understand.

As of now she is allowed to get a license and ID card, but the names have to match.

SS Office won't let us change the name.

We will keep her maiden name on SS and her state ID card. We will file EAD / AOS paperwork using her married name. At a later date we will then change her SS info & state ID info to reflect the married name.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am very surprised SSA would not let your wife change her last name using her I94 and marriage license and passport, because that's all that is needed.

Maybe try to go to a different SSA and try it there, but go before it is 2 weeks before the expiration date. I didnt know about that rule, so I went a few days before the expiration of my I94 and couldnt do it, so I had to wait until I got my EAD to change my SS card.

I was able to change my SS card with my EAD in maiden name, passport in maiden name and marriage certificate, and the application they make you feel out. Thats very weird.

I think you met with an ignorant person, try talking to a supervisor

Good luck

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.