Tristan1978

I-864 Co-Sponsor Tax Extension Question

17 posts in this topic

My co-sponsor has not filed his 2017 (business owner) tax information yet, and we are ready to submit all documents to the NVC but cannot proceed with this info.

If we say he has filed for an extension until October, what proof will we need?  Will a written statement be acceptable? 

14 hours ago, Tristan1978 said:

My co-sponsor has not filed his 2017 (business owner) tax information yet, and we are ready to submit all documents to the NVC but cannot proceed with this info.

If we say he has filed for an extension until October, what proof will we need?  Will a written statement be acceptable? 

Congrats on moving to the next step! The NVC website has the following guidance here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html  If you scroll down and expand the "Obtain financial evidence" section, the first part talks about IRS Tax Transcripts. It says: 

"Extensions: If you filed an extension for the most recent tax year, submit a photocopy of your IRS Form 4868 (PDF - 509 KB) or write and sign a statement indicating you filed an extension."

So it looks like they will accept either a copy of the extension form filed or a signed statement. I would guess then you would just need to make sure you have other evidence of your joint sponsor's income for that tax year (paystubs, employer letter, etc).

Good luck! We're waiting for our case number now, so hopefully it won't be too long and we'll be ready to submit our documents, too!

Beneficiary Country: UK / Consulate: Sydney, Australia / Nebraska Service Center

27-Nov-2017 - Sent I-130 package to Chicago Lockbox

30-Nov-2017 (+3 days, 3 days) - NOA1, petition sent to Nebraska Service Center

28-Jun-2018 (+210 days, 213 days) - NOA2, petition approved

16-Jul-2018 (+18 days, 231 days) - Petition sent to Department of State

23-Jul-2018 (+7 days, 238 days) - Petition received by NVC (confirmed via phone on 24 July)
21-Aug-2018 (+29 days, 267 days) - Welcome Letter received by email, paid AOS and IV fee

23-Aug-2018 (+2 days, 269 days) - IV Application (Form DS-260), Civil Documents, Affidavit of Support, and Financial Documents all submitted to NVC on CEAC

7-Sep-2018 (+15 days, 284 days) - NVC Case Complete

18-9-2018 (+11 days, 295 days) - Interview scheduled, received notification from NVC via email - interview set for 16 October

16-10-2018 (+28 days, 323 days) - Interview - visa approved!

18-10-2018 (+2 days, 325 days) - Passport and visa received by AusPost Express Platinum

8 hours ago, Keeley said:

Congrats on moving to the next step! The NVC website has the following guidance here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html  If you scroll down and expand the "Obtain financial evidence" section, the first part talks about IRS Tax Transcripts. It says: 

"Extensions: If you filed an extension for the most recent tax year, submit a photocopy of your IRS Form 4868 (PDF - 509 KB) or write and sign a statement indicating you filed an extension."

So it looks like they will accept either a copy of the extension form filed or a signed statement. I would guess then you would just need to make sure you have other evidence of your joint sponsor's income for that tax year (paystubs, employer letter, etc).

Good luck! We're waiting for our case number now, so hopefully it won't be too long and we'll be ready to submit our documents, too!

Thank you Keeley, I was starting to stress as he hasn't filed for 2017 yet and everything else is ready to go... just waiting for the fees to clear and we can submit everything... Finally :D

It wont be long until you get your case number, is Australia pivot? 

2 hours ago, Tristan1978 said:

Thank you Keeley, I was starting to stress as he hasn't filed for 2017 yet and everything else is ready to go... just waiting for the fees to clear and we can submit everything... Finally :D

It wont be long until you get your case number, is Australia pivot? 

No problem! Yes, Australia is pivot. I’ve been closely following the NVC thread and there are several people who have gotten case numbers after about 3ish weeks. NVC received our case two weeks ago, so I’m starting to get antsy. 😊 I’m trying not to get too excited though, because it seems like for other people it takes much longer! 

Beneficiary Country: UK / Consulate: Sydney, Australia / Nebraska Service Center

23-Jul-2018 (+7 days, 238 days) - Petition received by NVC (confirmed via phone on 24 July)
21-Aug-2018 (+29 days, 267 days) - Welcome Letter received by email, paid AOS and IV fee

23-Aug-2018 (+2 days, 269 days) - IV Application (Form DS-260), Civil Documents, Affidavit of Support, and Financial Documents all submitted to NVC on CEAC

18-9-2018 (+11 days, 295 days) - Interview scheduled, received notification from NVC via email - interview set for 16 October

18-10-2018 (+2 days, 325 days) - Passport and visa received by AusPost Express Platinum

3 minutes ago, Keeley said:

No problem! Yes, Australia is pivot. I’ve been closely following the NVC thread and there are several people who have gotten case numbers after about 3ish weeks. NVC received our case two weeks ago, so I’m starting to get antsy. 😊 I’m trying not to get too excited though, because it seems like for other people it takes much longer! 

You will be soon I'm sure, I'm pivot and it was just over 3 weeks... I know what you mean, until that interview is booked I cant relax! 

1 minute ago, Tristan1978 said:

You will be soon I'm sure, I'm pivot and it was just over 3 weeks... I know what you mean, until that interview is booked I cant relax! 

I know!! It’s so true. I just keep reminding myself that this process will soon be just a distant memory! Good luck with everything!

5 minutes ago, Keeley said:

I know!! It’s so true. I just keep reminding myself that this process will soon be just a distant memory! Good luck with everything!

You too! 

Sorry to jump in @Keeley my petition was received by NVC on July 18 and I'm also going through Sydney so we'll maybe be going through this at the same time.

Also glad to see this thread, my wife is trying to get her taxes filed right now to make things easier but we were held up by her Australian group certificates.

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

14 hours ago, redvines said:

Sorry to jump in @Keeley my petition was received by NVC on July 18 and I'm also going through Sydney so we'll maybe be going through this at the same time.

Also glad to see this thread, my wife is trying to get her taxes filed right now to make things easier but we were held up by her Australian group certificates.

Hey, great to hear there's another Sydney applicant! We seem to be few and far between on this forum. :) Good luck with the NVC process!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

What NVC will accept and forward to the Consulate has no actual bearing on whether the Consular Officer will make a positive decision on the public charge question.  Legitimate excuses for not having file a tax return work for the IRS, but no so much for Consular Officers.  If the past years show plenty (far more than the required minimum) of income, you may will be OK.  Otherwise, not good.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

5 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

What NVC will accept and forward to the Consulate has no actual bearing on whether the Consular Officer will make a positive decision on the public charge question.  Legitimate excuses for not having file a tax return work for the IRS, but no so much for Consular Officers.  If the past years show plenty (far more than the required minimum) of income, you may will be OK.  Otherwise, not good.

Thanks pushbrk, so does that mean the NVC will accept the statement from my co-sponsor as by the time I get to the interview it will be available. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Tristan1978 said:

Thanks pushbrk, so does that mean the NVC will accept the statement from my co-sponsor as by the time I get to the interview it will be available. 

Probably, yes.  It depends on what is stated as the current income.  It should come from line 22 of the latest filed tax return.  However the CO, will want to see that the 2017 tax return shows enough income on line 22.   Bringing the tax return to the interview should solve that problem.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

9 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Probably, yes.  It depends on what is stated as the current income.  It should come from line 22 of the latest filed tax return.  However the CO, will want to see that the 2017 tax return shows enough income on line 22.   Bringing the tax return to the interview should solve that problem.

My co-sponsor owns his own business and the last job went upside down, I believe he's trying to balance the books before he submits it to the IRS. I know for fact he earns way over the threshold so we wont have any problems at the interview.  

Timeline

For the self employed, the only "earnings" they consider would appear on line 22 of a tax return.  Have you seen that line on 2016?  If not, and 2017 isn't filed yet, you, (in fact) do NOT know your sponsor's income/earnings are sufficient.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

On 8/9/2018 at 12:19 AM, pushbrk said:

For the self employed, the only "earnings" they consider would appear on line 22 of a tax return.  Have you seen that line on 2016?  If not, and 2017 isn't filed yet, you, (in fact) do NOT know your sponsor's income/earnings are sufficient.

Hi @pushbrk, I'm struggling with the I-864 form as both my wife & co-sponsor have filed for extensions until October, however on the I-864 form it needs to know both of their income for 2017... what would we put in that section of the form as they wont know the total until October?  

I would really appreciate you input, as we need to get this submitted ASAP and seem to be going round in circles.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.