62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Barry Krebs said:

Then you might consider consular processing.  The new permanent resident then gets immediate work authorization.  That's what I did when I immigrated.  And the fees are slightly lower.  In any case, having a fee waiver for AOS defeats the purpose of meeting public charge requirements. That all being said,  better hope that you have co-sponsors for I-864 just in case.  And someone in US can who lend you the money for AOS should u choose this route to a green card.

According to his timeline, they've already gone through the K-1 process and she's now here in the USA. Only option at this point is AOS

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
10 hours ago, RevGreen said:

Hi there. Does anyone have experience in a fee waiver for the AOS? Advice? Technically I earn well above poverty guideline, but there is no chance we can afford the AOS fee now or any time in the foreseeable future.

There is nothing like a fee waiver when it comes to the important part of case processing especially when it's in NVC "AOS" it is very important to pay the AOS fee i had to pay almost another $500 i guess for AOS and IV because we paid for i-129 already after the petition was sent to texas center 

Another advantage of the CR-1 - they could have had two incomes from day one of her being here in the country. And no AOS to pay. Too late for the OP now but worth mentioning for the benefit of lurkers who have not started the process yet. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

16 minutes ago, Don Godwin said:

There is nothing like a fee waiver when it comes to the important part of case processing especially when it's in NVC "AOS" it is very important to pay the AOS fee i had to pay almost another $500 i guess for AOS and IV because we paid for i-129 already after the petition was sent to texas center 

1. AOS is referring to Adjustment of Status I-485) here, not Affidavit of Support (I-864). NVC (and the I-864 review fee) is not involved involved with adjustment of status....it is handled by USCIS directly.
  2. K-1 is I-129F, not I-129. (I-129 is a petition for a foreign worker).
  3. An I-129F for a fiancee would have been sent to the Dallas lockbox, but processed at CSC (California), not TSC (Texas).
  4. K-3 is an obsolete path. It will turn into a CR-1/IR-1 anyway.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was wondering why they went the K1 route, perhaps find a 'joint sponsor' who will help them with the application fee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

12 hours ago, RevGreen said:

Realistically? A few months. If I had $1500 to spare I obviously wouldn't be making this post. I don't know why people are criticizing me.

We are to marry this week, but she just wants to start working and having her own money sooner rather than later. Also we need to travel back to Thailand later this year.

I don’t think you’ll be headed back to Thailand this year. You probably will not have her AP until sometime early next year, unless you’re lucky. But then again, you won’t get her AP even then if you dont apply for AOS right away. 

@RevGreen,

You have already been given good advice. But since it hasn't been mentioned yet, here is the current* cost for future processes that your wife will have to go through.

Removal of Conditions (ROC) in 2 years = $595 +$85 (biometrics fee) = $680

Naturalization (optional) in 3 years = $640 + $85 (biometrics fee) = $725

Green Card renewal (if not naturalized) in 10 years = $455 + $85 = $540

*Note: These fees for 2018 are subject to change in the future.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Like a lot of people previously stated, I'm confused how you've made it so far in the process without having prepared for the AOS fee. I know as soon as I started looking through the guides on this site I began saving for all the fees.

1. If you don't have a the money on hand though and your credit is not horrible go with a personal loan. The rates can be pretty good or at least better than a credit card, and you won't kill your credit score from having credit card usage.

2. Only other thing I can think of, is to get a side gig. Drive uber/lyft, work for amazon flex, retail or something extra that would help you save/pay off your debt.

Removing Conditions 

I-751 Sent:    04-Nov-2020

i-751 Received: 10-Nov-2020

Fee charged: 14-Dec-2020

NoA1: 14-Dec-2020

NoA1 Received: 17-Dec-2020

24 mo. Extension: 15-Nov-2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Where you not aware she was going to have to go through AOS? Why did you decide to go with the K1 instead of the CR1 which is cheaper and she can work right away? How are you going to afford ROC  2 years after AOS and possible citizenship application?

Even if you apply right now, she probably isn't getting AP until early 2019. It's about 6 months of a wait right now. We are already in month 4, and according to the timelines we have at least 2 months to go. Also, it isn't like the fee is new. We knew it was coming before we applied for the K1. We have to prepare for these things. Age has nothing to do with it. I am also in my mid-20s. But all of us have to prove we have a certain salary.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Then you might consider consular processing.  The new permanent resident then gets immediate work authorization.  That's what I did when I immigrated.  And the fees are slightly lower.  In any case, having a fee waiver for AOS defeats the purpose of meeting public charge requirements. That all being said,  better hope that you have co-sponsors for I-864 just in case.  And someone in US can who lend you the money for AOS should u choose this route to a green card.

Then that person will have to borrow money for the fees and perhaps a joint sponsor for form I-864.  Otherwise it will be difficult to meet 125% + poverty guidelines.  In my opinion, K1 visas are a bad idea unless the sponsor is wealthy (high net worth) and having one stream of income will suffice for a long while.  You have to meet two poverty tests.  It will do no good if you can meet the first but not the second.  There are also too many restrictions.  You can't work until you are married and apply for AOS and get work authorization and you need permission to leave the country.  It is fine if you are coming to get married and you and your other half leave to live elsewhere in the world.  It is another if the applicant stays and is in a long limbo.  K1 and AOS are also incredibly expensive.  Some of the many drawbacks of K1.  Food for thought here.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

But for the record - we married last week. Today we sent our paperwork off. I was able to take a project outside of work that covered the fee, so all is well. Thanks for all the real answers, and no thanks to all the personal judgements made.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
On 7/31/2018 at 10:16 AM, RevGreen said:

But for the record - we married last week. Today we sent our paperwork off. I was able to take a project outside of work that covered the fee, so all is well. Thanks for all the real answers, and no thanks to all the personal judgements made.

Sorry that you had to deal with all of the judgemental responses.

i requested a few waiver for my husband’s k1 aos based on temporary financial hardship. Clearly the people saying that you cannot file a fee waiver for aos have not read.

There are certain circumstances that would allow you to qualify. For myself, immediately after my husband got to the US, I became ill, had 3 surgeries within 3 weeks, hospitalized for two weeks, and incapacitated for 3 months. During that time, unfortunately I had no short term disability or paid time off. Therefore with me being the only one working, we had no income for 3 months. I have returned to work now, but that situation hit us hard! I sent in all documentation from the hospital, doctors, and my job as evidence of the dates I was off, hospitalized, and a statement saying I had an unpaid leave of absence...My Affidavit of support and the tax returns back up that I’m well over the poverty level. 

Im glad that you were able to come up with the money. Even though we want to find people on here who have gone through what we are embarking on, some people can’t be helpful or are just misinformed!

I hope that everything goes well for you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.