Troggy

Questions to be asked at AOS interview - stressed to heck!

50 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Can anyone that has been through the AOS interview please tell me specifically what questions you were asked? Ours will be at San Antonio.

My husband just lost his job, right before this AOS interview in a couple of weeks and we are stressed to the max.  Do you think they will ask him ''are you still employed at the same place?'' And if so, do we tell the truth and say no and will they boot me out? Or it won't matter? Or they don't even ask this question?

It says on the letter inviting us to AOS to bring the paperwork about what my husband earns only if we haven't already submitted it. Well, we did all that before, and they accepted it, he was earning a lot. We were under the impression that part had been satisfied and was over. We are hoping that they just want to see we are together to be satisfied that the relationship is real and they won't even ask about the job part. We don't have anyone to sponsor us, we have no-one to ask. 

He has a severance package that is quite generous and will last us quite a few weeks, so at the time of this interview, technically we are still earning the same as before. We can float ourselves financially for about another 7 months, he shouldn't have any problem finding a job by then.

Please, please reply - anybody!  

Thank you. 

Edited by Troggy
Typo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Troggy said:

Hello, 

Can anyone that has been through the AOS interview please tell me specifically what questions you were asked? Ours will be at San Antonio.

My husband just lost his job, right before this AOS interview in a couple of weeks and we are stressed to the max.  Do you think they will ask him ''are you still employed at the same place?'' And if so, do we tell the truth and say no and will they boot me out? Or it won't matter? Or they don't even ask this question?

It says on the letter inviting us to AOS to bring the paperwork about what my husband earns only if we haven't already submitted it. Well, we did all that before, and they accepted it, he was earning a lot. We were under the impression that part had been satisfied and was over. We are hoping that they just want to see we are together to be satisfied that the relationship is real and they won't even ask about the job part. We don't have anyone to sponsor us, we have no-one to ask. 

He has a severance package that is quite generous and will last us quite a few weeks, so at the time of this interview, technically we are still earning the same as before. We can float ourselves financially for about another 7 months, he shouldn't have any problem finding a job by then.

Please, please reply - anybody!  

Thank you. 

you can have a search for the keyword "interview experience" you can see some of our friends here shared their experience and you can get some idea about that.

It's also important to tell the truth during the interview process. NEVER LIE!

https://www.visajourney.com/sitesearch/?cx=partner-pub-3407508467788263%3A9725800110&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=interview+experience&sa=Search&siteurl=www.visajourney.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F678605-questions-to-be-asked-at-aos-interview-stressed-to-heck%2F&ref=www.visajourney.com%2F&ss=0j0j1

• Feb 17 2018 - Arrived USA with B2-Tourist Visa
  • Apr 01 2018 - US Citizen Boyfriend proposed
  • Apr 18 2018 - Got Married in Montana, USA
  • May 15 2018 - Mailed out USCIS applications (I-130, I-130A, I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) to Chicago Lockbox
  • (Day 1) May 16 2018 - Mail arrived Chicago Lockbox (confirmed by USPS) 
  • (Day 19) Jun 04 2018 - Received email & SMS notification - case received (All money orders being cashed on this day)
  • (Day 24) Jun 09 2018 - Received all receipts (NOA) from USCIS, also the Biometrics Appointment letter (Appointment date: Jun 18) 
  • (Day 33) Jun 18 2018 - Arrived Helena ASC at 9.15am (Appointment at 10am), finished at 9.35am (Yea it was super quick!)
  • (Day 35) Jun 20 2018 - Received SMS & Email notification request for evidence for my I-485
  • (Day 40) Jun 25 2018 - Courtesy letter for I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record) received
  • (Day 61) Jul 16 2018 - Case status of I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
  • (Day 64) Jul 19 2018 -  Case status of I-485 changed to "Interview Was Scheduled"
  • (Day 71) Jul 26 2018 - Interview notice received (Interview scheduled on Aug 23 - 9.50AM)
  • (Day 99) Aug 23 2018 - Interview approved on the spot! Yay! 🎉  I-485 status changed to “New Card Is Being Produced”,
  • (Day 100) Aug 24 2018 - I-131 & I-765 status changed to “Case Closed Benefit Received By Other Means”
  • (Day 107) Aug 31 2018 - I-485 status changed to “Card Was Mailed To Me”
  • (Day 111) Sep 04 2018 - I-485 status changed "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service"
  • (Day 113) Sep 06 2018 - Conditional Green Card Received!
  • May 23 2020 - Mailed out I-751
  • May 29 2020 - Received email & SMS notification - case received
  • June 1 2020 - Money order being cashed
  • July 15 2020 - status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken” 
  • Feb 16 2021 - Status changed to “New Card is being Produce”
  • Feb 19 2021 - Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • Feb 24 2021 - New card received in the mail!
  • Feb 24 2023 - Filed N-400 online
  • Mar 11 2023 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter in mail (Appointment date: Mar 20)
  • Mar 20 2023 - Case status changed to "Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS"
  • Apr 04 2023 - Received online update "Interview Was Scheduled" (May 23)
  • May 23 2023 - Interview Passed on the spot
  • Oct 26 2023 - Status changed to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed" (on Nov 9th)

http://pa1.narvii.com/5800/c9829514dbe031b3b25782c40cae78c189bfc3ab_00.gif

We were asked during the interview if all information on our application was still correct, and yes, the officer specifically asked my husband if he still worked for the same employer. NEVER lie during your interview. If they ask about his employer, explain the situation. Do you already have your EAD, and are you working? If so, bring your paystubs to show a continuation of income. I'd also bring documentation of that severance package. Good luck!

The officer talked to my husband and confirmed where he worked, his position, etc. So it is a possibility for you guys to be asked about employment.

In my opinion, if the information in the forms you sent out are no longer current, you should update them and hand out new forms on your interview.

Others may disagree, and, technically, if not asked, you shouldn’t give out info. So it may be that the interviewer won’t even touch that subject. If not asked you should be good, but if asked, you need to tell them the truth and that will lead to some hassle. 

To be on the safer side, I’d find someone (lpr/ us citizen) to be a backup joint sponsor. Better to be prepared if they do ask, and to show you as an immigrant will be supported and won’t become a public charge.

good luck

It is possible the IO will ask about the I-864 and/or his employment. If not, great...you don't have to disclose the change. If so, do not lie. EVER....that's a very serious issue with a potential permanent bar involved.

As noted, if you have an EAD then you may be able to use that to qualify as a backup. If so, I suggest writing up a new I-864 and having him include your income in the household income, and having all supporting documentation as well. Only show it if needed...don't volunteer it beforehand.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Thanks, folks... truly. (F)

So, we have this severance package, I guess now we are trying to work out how this counts as income in a way that satisfies USCIS, it's quite a lot of money for quite a long time. As I said, at the time of the interview date we will still be getting paid as usual.

What we will do is take all the paperwork showing the end of employment, details of the severance package, unemployment benefits if we qualify etc, if they ask us about whether he is still employed there, have it ready. If they don't ask us, don't volunteer it. But don't lie, of course. We figured that a couple of days ago but it's good to hear people just underscore it. 

My brain is fried. After all we've been through for me to be in the States, now all this two weeks before our interview. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

If I think of more questions/parts to add, I'll come back to the thread. 

6 minutes ago, Troggy said:

So, we have this severance package, I guess now we are trying to work out how this counts as income in a way that satisfies USCIS, it's quite a lot of money for quite a long time. As I said, at the time of the interview date we will still be getting paid as usual.

If the severance is a one-time payment, then it's definitely not income as far as USCIS is concerned. It's a one-time payment. USCIS cares about current income.

If it's a recurring sum, then it may count...I really don't have a good answer here on how the IO would treat it since it is, at the very least, a limited time process. Although they DO count unemployment compensation as income, which is also limited, so that's a positive.

What we will do is take all the paperwork showing the end of employment, details of the severance package, unemployment benefits if we qualify etc, if they ask us about whether he is still employed there, have it ready. If they don't ask us, don't volunteer it. But don't lie, of course. We figured that a couple of days ago but it's good to hear people just underscore it. 

:thumbs:

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

^ Thank you. The severance isn't a one-time, it pays our normal salary for 2 and a half months starting August 15th. The date of the AOS interview is Aug 8th. After that, unemployment will kick in in October which will go for another 6 months which is about half of what we were getting before, so that's 50,000 a year. Then we have savings of several grand that will last us a while. I have a little part time job too at the mo paying a bit but not much. 

I keep seeing all this 'sponsor' business when googling things like ''what if no longer employed at AOS''. We just don't have anyone to ask at all to be a sponsor! Please, does anyone know what the process here is likely to be?!

As I explained above we have some income in the form of this severance package and other things that will keep us afloat for months and months. If we get quizzed about this, can we just say that we have a certain amount of income laid down and fully expect to get jobs soon? And obviously show them paperwork to back to this up. It is true, my husband is a very skilled and experienced IT consultant. 

I feel like my mind is melting with all this. I mean, what are we talking about here?! They would just send me back to the UK and not even give a sh*t? Or they can't do that? Or what? I don't know what to say to them or how to say it. We have enough on our plates losing the job anyway without all this USCIS again now. 

:help::help::help:

Edited by Troggy
Added a bit.

What I would like to know is the answer to the "what if worst case scenario question". What if we go to the interview and they ask if I am still employed, we say no, they say we need a sponsor and we say that we don't have one? What is the actual process at that exact moment? Does a USCIS "police office" burst in, handcuff her and deport her on the spot? I highly doubt it. What is the actual procedure? I'm really not looking for opinions or guesswork. If you know, answer, if you don't, please refrain.

PS: I am the one that lost the job! :)

Edited by TriloByte

Click here to see my detailed timeline and experience.

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 Received Date :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

RFIE (Birth Cert, Translation)

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Distance is to love like wind is to fire… it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!

29 minutes ago, TriloByte said:

What I would like to know is the answer to the "what if worst case scenario question". What if we go to the interview and they ask if I am still employed, we say no, they say we need a sponsor and we say that we don't have one? What is the actual process at that exact moment? Does a USCIS "police office" burst in, handcuff her and deport her on the spot? I highly doubt it. What is the actual procedure? I'm really not looking for opinions or guesswork. If you know, answer, if you don't, please refrain.

PS: I am the one that lost the job! :)

You’ll be issued a rfe and will have a time frame to respond, if you don’t respond the aos will be denied and immigrant spouse will be put in removal procedures. There should be a hearing with immigration judge and all that, it’s not instant. 

A joint sponsor may be needed and would be the “easiest” form of complying with financial requirements when the main sponsor, the us citizen spouse, can’t. But there are other alternatives such as assets, but I’ll let other people more knowledgeable to respond about that.

p-ana, thank you so much. I'm beginning to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel with this now. It just was a big shock losing out livelihood out of nowhere and the worst timing. 

Does a sponsor need to be family? That's a no-no for us. But could we ask a friend? 

Edited by Troggy
Added a bit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.