AH&JH

ROC & Driving License

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Wondering if someone has any experience renewing their DL while pending for ROC?

The DMV sent me a letter to renew my DL and I filled and sent it back but they haven't cashed the check nor send a new DL and im wondering if it is due to my pending ROC.

Do I need to go personally to the DMV? would they still renew my DL with my ROC pending?

Im in California.

Thank you

When did your green card expire? 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Just now, AH&JH said:

My GC expired on Feb 2017, my DL will expire in Aug 2018. I have the stamp on my passport extending my residency valid until January 2019

If the DMV suggests that expired card as being the reason, did you include your extension letter? 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler

N-400 FILER
Spoiler

US PASSPORT

My DL will expire so they followed the normal protocol of sending renewal letter but nothing has happened since I sent the letter filled and the check back and now im wondering if it has to do with my pending ROC. I did not send copy of extension letter or passport stamp

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I do not know how it works in CA but in VA if you're not a citizen you have to actually go to the DMV to get your license renewed. 

I had no issues going to the DMV and show them my extension letter and I got my license renewed years beyond the end of my extension letter.  You should have sent the extension letter. 

1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

I do not know how it works in CA but in VA if you're not a citizen you have to actually go to the DMV to get your license renewed. 

I had no issues going to the DMV and show them my extension letter and I got my license renewed years beyond the end of my extension letter.  You should have sent the extension letter. 

Thank you, I guess I will have to go to DMV. I didn't think about sending them the extension letter

20 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

My point exactly! 🙂

18 minutes ago, AH&JH said:

Thank you, I guess I will have to go to DMV. I didn't think about sending them the extension letter

Remember, your extension letter now acts as your green card so you need to use it where applicable. 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler

N-400 FILER
Spoiler

US PASSPORT

Agreeing with others about going to DMV.  Each state is different but here in NC my husband had to go in with the extension letter.  He got a new license with a new expiration date matching extension letter.   Once ROC was complete he went back in with his 10 year green card and got yet another drivers license.    And just to make sure DMV hell is complete, he's applying for citizenship and now I have to check if he needs to go in one more time after he takes the oath.   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 minutes ago, mtempelaar said:

Agreeing with others about going to DMV.  Each state is different but here in NC my husband had to go in with the extension letter.  He got a new license with a new expiration date matching extension letter.   Once ROC was complete he went back in with his 10 year green card and got yet another drivers license.    And just to make sure DMV hell is complete, he's applying for citizenship and now I have to check if he needs to go in one more time after he takes the oath.   

I don't think he needs to go until his license expires. Unless he really wants to get the note taken off his license that he has a license with shorter than "normal" expiration. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

From the DMV's perspective, you have no legal status in this country since your green card has expired and you have not sent them the renewal letter or any other documentation that you are legally residing here. So yes, of course that's the issue. Better to go in-person. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just wanted to update you all in case someone is going through the same.

I didn't have to go to the DMV after all.

I noticed they cashed my check a month after I sent the renewal notice. I called and they told me they were processing my license. One week before the expiration date I received the license with an expiration date of 2021

Thank you and hope this helps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I went to the DMV today to renew my DL, it expires next month. I gave them the extension letter and they renewed it on the spot, 18 months after the expiration date. No stamp on passport or nothing. 

PS: DMV is in Arkansas

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

You can definitely renew your license without having to visit a DMV office here in CA, it's very smooth and very nice not having to spend hours waiting in line.

They send you a letter when it's time to renew your license (about 60 days before the expiration date) and you just send in the form and whatever else they ask for (I sent a copy of my greencard and will send a copy of my extension letter when that day comes). Then your license shows up in your mailbox a few weeks later.

Worked like a charm for me and when I renewed my state ID the same way I didn't even have to pay anything. Glad it worked for you too.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.