LarryHickman

Confused about these sites referring to K1 visas

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hello everyone, I’m a bit confused, all along I have followed the steps for the K1 Nonimmigrant VISA from this page and it talks about a DS 160 form

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#4

Here we go to the US Bolivian Embassy (my fiancé is from Bolivia) site where it talks about a Fiancé Visa but on this page it says DS 260 and calls it a an Immigrant VISA. 

https://bo.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee/the-interview/

And also here at this link for steps to get ready for the medical and interview at the Bolivian Embassy it refers to a DS 260 but no reference associated with a Fiancé VISA. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/LPZ-La-Paz.pdf

Im more concerned with the first two links above, one stating information about a Fiancé VISA called Non Immigrant with a DS 160 form and another site stating information about a Fiancé VISA called Immigrant with a DS 260 form.

Edited by LarryHickman

Just now, LarryHickman said:

Hello everyone, I’m a bit confused, all along I have followed the steps for the K1 Nonimmigrant VISA from this page and it talks about a DS 160 form

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#4

Here we go to the Bolivian Embassy (my fiancé is from Bolivia) site where it talks about a Fiancé Visa but on this page it says DS 260 and calls it a an Immigrant VISA. 

And also here at this link for steps to get ready for the medical and interview at the Bolivian Embassy it refers to a DS 260 but no reference associated with a Fiancé VISA. 

Im more concerned with the first two links above, one stating information about a Fiancé VISA called Non Immigrant with a DS 160 form and another site stating information about a Fiancé VISA called Immigrant with a DS 260 form.

K1 is a dual intent visa which allows for change of status from entering as a non immigrant to an immigrant

K1 uses DS 160 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

K1 is a dual intent visa which allows for change of status from entering as a non immigrant to an immigrant

K1 uses DS 160 

Thanks maybe I’m not getting it, what is the DS 260 used for? On the second link it clearly talks in tandem with a Finace VISA so what’s the point of the DS 260?

Just now, LarryHickman said:

Thanks maybe I’m not getting it, what is the DS 260 used for? On the second link it clearly talks in tandem with a Finace VISA so what’s the point of the DS 260?

DS 260 is used for immigrant visa applicants such as spouse and parents of USC 

Yout will find several places where this confusion exists.. sometimes you will search for your K 1?case number as a non immigrant case, other sites list it as  an immigrant ..

Agreed. It's a bit confusing as the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa but is processed by the immigrant visa unit at the consulate. So it goes through almost all of the motions that an immigrant visa does, and is handled by the same people, but is technically non-immigrant so it uses the DS-160 (and I-134 vs I-864 for the interview).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

I’m not sure if they really care the confusion this causes and to me this is a legitimate concern. I get a non immigrant to immigrant person in the end ONCE your beneficiary is in the USA but mixing the DS 160 with the DS 260 associated with the fiancé VISA is my biggest problem there is already enough stress,  thanks for the help.

3 hours ago, LarryHickman said:

I’m not sure if they really care the confusion this causes and to me this is a legitimate concern. I get a non immigrant to immigrant person in the end ONCE your beneficiary is in the USA but mixing the DS 160 with the DS 260 associated with the fiancé VISA is my biggest problem there is already enough stress,  thanks for the help.

Yep .. preaching to the converted here!! but not much we can do except help others through the maze.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello there,

I you are planning on taking your partner to the US, your process start with a petition to take her as a afiance(e), and that begins with a petition that you as a US citizen must fill. In the link attached is the explanation and purpose of the form. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

®️

Timeline
6 hours ago, Valmabe said:

Hello there,

I you are planning on taking your partner to the US, your process start with a petition to take her as a afiance(e), and that begins with a petition that you as a US citizen must fill. In the link attached is the explanation and purpose of the form. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Hi, yes I have already filed the I 129F. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, LarryHickman said:

Hi, yes I have already filed the I 129F. 

Hi, it is definitely the DS-160 that you need, but the US site and what the consulate in your country states may differ.

my UK site states exactly this:

Complete the application online Form DS-160 for each family member applying for a visa and print the confirmation page as it will be required at the time of your interview.  If a question does not apply to you, please mark it with a N/A.

Based on this, I would contact the consulate in Bolivia to clarify what they require. 

Also there is this link I've found on VJ which states what is expected at the consulate in Bolivia:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Bolivia&cty=La Paz

I hope this helps. :)

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi again,

No need to be confused, the key here is to follow the instructions when they arrived. The instructions sheet should be your sole source information, just take your time when making ready for the interview. I understand the anxiety, we all are on the same boat. I, myself am really anxious about our NOA2, at least 3 months wait. The matter here is when we start searching on what the next step will be and is when we come across with all that information and the confusion starts.

As LeesaMarie mentioned the form you´re looking for is DS-160, if your interview is soon congrats and good luck. 

®️

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 7/15/2018 at 10:35 PM, LarryHickman said:

Here we go to the US Bolivian Embassy (my fiancé is from Bolivia) site where it talks about a Fiancé Visa but on this page it says DS 260 and calls it a an Immigrant VISA. 

in the stps  says fill the form ds 160 When you fill it in a part , it asks you what kind of visa you are asking for , there are options like tourist, work etc and it will be fiance and obviously click there thats it.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Bigo said:

in the stps  says fill the form ds 160 When you fill it in a part , it asks you what kind of visa you are asking for , there are options like tourist, work etc and it will be fiance and obviously click there thats it.

Thanks bigo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.