Hello729

Do you have any regrets?

43 posts in this topic

K1 is more expensive and longer.....CR1 is cheaper.

No regrets though.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Me and my now husband went the K-1 route and it took way longer than expected. I too wish we had chosen the CR-1 instead, for several reasons, would definitely not go for a K-1 again ifI had to do it all over again.

What I did like about the K-1 is that we didn't have to be separated after getting married, which is the main reason we chose the K-1 in the first place. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Knowing what I know now, and had my fiance and I been in a relationship a bit longer... I probably would consider going the CR1 route. At the time we filed, of course we planned to marry, but we also had only been engaged for 6 months, and dating for a year and a few months, and at that point had visited in person 4 times including the time I first met her.... On the other hand, I generally think it's a good idea to live with someone for at least a short time before getting married too... (I've been married and divorced before, and had live in significant others in the past)... so I don't regret doing the K1 at all either. 

I think both have their place, and each couple's circumstances would make one preferential to the other. 

K1 / K2 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Kyiv, Ukriane

I-129-F mailed to USCIS 2017-11-10

Case Status received (NOA1) by USCIS: 2017-11-14

Check cashed: 2017-11-17

Case Received Email Notification: 2017-11-17

Case status available on myUSCIS: 2017-11-20

NOA1 Hardcopy received by mail: 2017-11-24

NOA2 Approval (204 days): 2018-06-06

Approval status updated on  new website: 2018-06-08

-- no updates on old website, no text, no email --

NOA2 Hardcopy received by mail: 2018-06-12

NVC Case Number Generated (21 days since NOA2): 2018-06-27

Case Left NVC: 2018-07-10 (13 days at NVC)

Case Received by Embassy: 2018-07-12 (2 days travel time!)

Medical Exam: 2018-07-16

Interview: 2018-08-08 (Approved)

Entry: 2018-09-19 (Chicago POE)

Marriage: 2018-10-12

"New" Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

"Old" Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, VisaCode said:

Yup, I wish we'd gone CR1 now, for sure. Oh well, "it is what it is", "the grass is always greener on the other side", etc...

One reason we didn't go that route is getting married in Indonesia requires a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy. The K-1 process seemed a lot faster/easier, and getting married in the US was a lot less bureaucratic... That was back in 2014 though when the K-1 process wasn't that long and the EAD/AP was less than a 3 months wait. If we were doing it now, we'd probably go the CR-1 route.... 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

If I had not been denied a tourist visa 3 times we would have chosen the CR1 visa. Just last year thankfully the K1 was going much faster and we had been 6 years of us being long distance and  we just wanted to close this distance gap ASAP. 

IfI had my tourist visa I would have been able to stay in my home country and work and travel and come see my now husband and do the CR1 visa and skip this whole AOS process that's taking forever. 

Wedid consider it but based on our circumstances we went with the K1, no regrets, but it's because of what were up against that we have no regrets

If you have the ability to travel and see each other then do the CR1. It's better especially with current timelines!!

Edited by NicoAndNelle

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, TNJ17 said:

Nope. Even though CR1 was cheaper and time to greencard faster I would do K1 all over again if I had to. It got us together faster, even if just by a couple of months. We were getting so stressed out towards the last couple of months because we couldn’t be together that it was worth getting a K1 for. AOS takes a long time and it’s more money but if you go in with that in mind you can make it because at least you are going through it together.

Thanks for sharing!

10 minutes ago, NicoAndNelle said:

If I had not been denied a tourist visa 3 times we would have chosen the CR1 visa. Just last year thankfully the K1 was going much faster and we had been 6 years of us being long distance and  we just wanted to close this distance gap ASAP. 

IfI had my tourist visa I would have been able to stay in my home country and work and travel and come see my now husband and do the CR1 visa and skip this whole AOS process that's taking forever. 

Wedid consider it but based on our circumstances we went with the K1, no regrets, but it's because of what were up against that we have no regrets

If you have the ability to travel and see each other then do the CR1. It's better especially with current timelines!!

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much, everyone!

DD5B56DF-4C70-4A4F-A074-C72EA2413B5E.jpeg

Timeline
15 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

One reason we didn't go that route is getting married in Indonesia requires a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy. The K-1 process seemed a lot faster/easier, and getting married in the US was a lot less bureaucratic... That was back in 2014 though when the K-1 process wasn't that long and the EAD/AP was less than a 3 months wait. If we were doing it now, we'd probably go the CR-1 route.... 

Thanks for sharing!

Timeline
20 minutes ago, x_driven_x said:

Knowing what I know now, and had my fiance and I been in a relationship a bit longer... I probably would consider going the CR1 route. At the time we filed, of course we planned to marry, but we also had only been engaged for 6 months, and dating for a year and a few months, and at that point had visited in person 4 times including the time I first met her.... On the other hand, I generally think it's a good idea to live with someone for at least a short time before getting married too... (I've been married and divorced before, and had live in significant others in the past)... so I don't regret doing the K1 at all either. 

I think both have their place, and each couple's circumstances would make one preferential to the other. 

Thanks for sharing!

46 minutes ago, janet3 said:

Absolutely, I have regrets. I went the k1 route and would absolutely do the cr1 now if I had to do it over again. Our k1 visa took 10 months (at the time cr1s were taking 12 to 14 months). We filed for AOS and EAD/AP in January....,my husband received his EAD/AP on June 30....he has not been able to drive or work or travel (outside the US) for 7 months......and even now worries about the travel because he doesn’t have the green card.....so absolutely YES......I wish we would have done the CR1

Thanks for sharing!

Timeline
58 minutes ago, Amadia said:

K1 is more expensive and longer.....CR1 is cheaper.

No regrets though.

Thanks for sharing!

45 minutes ago, VisaCode said:

Yup, I wish we'd gone CR1 now, for sure. Oh well, "it is what it is", "the grass is always greener on the other side", etc...

Thanks for sharing!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The reason we chose K visa instead of CR was that we had K-2 who was over 18yo. Fiancee visa was the only way for us to bring her here. If not for the daughter, we would've done CR-1 for sure. AOS is taking forever; it's been 13 months since we applied and we're still waiting. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, JSWH said:

The reason we chose K visa instead of CR was that we had K-2 who was over 18yo. Fiancee visa was the only way for us to bring her here. If not for the daughter, we would've done CR-1 for sure. AOS is taking forever; it's been 13 months since we applied and we're still waiting. 

Thanks for sharing!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.