Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you can ... again on NOA 2

Back in Dec/Jan - I reported that there was no hitch at all visiting my fiancé in Hawaii while waiting for our NOA2.

People here expressed their concern that it will be harder to visit once NOA2 has been received. I just wanted to share my experience in case you are contemplating on visiting your sweetheart in the US.

Our application got approved Feb. 1st,  I entered US Feb. 13 (yesterday) - it was the smoothest US Customs experience ever.  As in Ever. Of all my numerous travels to the US, this is the first time that the CO did not ask me a single question. CO looked at my passport, looked at his computer screen, stamped & returned my passport and said Have a good trip. That's it.

Flew with Air Canada/United Air out of Toronto (Pearson International Airport).

Hope this will help ease some of your apprehensions if you are thinking of meeting up with your loved one. <3 

(as usual, I came prepared with employment letter, lease, etc.. to show strong ties with Canada, just in case)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
19 hours ago, Habitaters said:

Yes, you can ... again on NOA 2

Back in Dec/Jan - I reported that there was no hitch at all visiting my fiancé in Hawaii while waiting for our NOA2.

People here expressed their concern that it will be harder to visit once NOA2 has been received. I just wanted to share my experience in case you are contemplating on visiting your sweetheart in the US.

Our application got approved Feb. 1st,  I entered US Feb. 13 (yesterday) - it was the smoothest US Customs experience ever.  As in Ever. Of all my numerous travels to the US, this is the first time that the CO did not ask me a single question. CO looked at my passport, looked at his computer screen, stamped & returned my passport and said Have a good trip. That's it.

Flew with Air Canada/United Air out of Toronto (Pearson International Airport).

Hope this will help ease some of your apprehensions if you are thinking of meeting up with your loved one. <3 

(as usual, I came prepared with employment letter, lease, etc.. to show strong ties with Canada, just in case)

How long did uour process take?

Did you use a service like rapidvisa?

Have you planned a wedding date yet?

My fiance and i are shooting for August 4th and sending in the I129 Monday when I return from Japan....praying POTUS CHEETOFACE doesn't hold things up too much for us.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Zumbadaddy said:

My fiance and i are shooting for August 4th and sending in the I129 Monday when I return from Japan....praying POTUS CHEETOFACE doesn't hold things up too much for us.

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Transferred? California Service Center on 2017-06-26
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
I-129F Sent : 2017-06-24
I-129F NOA1 : 2017-06-27
I-129F RFE(s) : 2018-01-13
RFE Reply(s) : 2018-01-20
I-129F NOA2 : 2018-02-01

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Boiler said:
K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Transferred? California Service Center on 2017-06-26
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
I-129F Sent : 2017-06-24
I-129F NOA1 : 2017-06-27
I-129F RFE(s) : 2018-01-13
RFE Reply(s) : 2018-01-20
I-129F NOA2 : 2018-02-01

Thanks Boiler... where is your fiance coming from.... what country?

Timeline
Just now, Zumbadaddy said:

Thanks Boiler... where is your fiance coming from.... what country?

I came from the UK many years ago, I was answering your post.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I came from the UK many years ago, I was answering your post.

Thank you... the reason I asked what country you came from... I read that fiances coming from. Mexico and countries Trumpbdoesntlike are taking longer for approval... my fiance is coming from Japan... and were really hoping for an easy transition.  Also were using RapidVisa...and hoping the process goes smoothly withthem.

Timeline

We have had some horror stories from people using Rapid Visa.

Hopefully yours goes OK.

Mexico well obviously they deal with huge numbers and seems a well oiled machine and very rarely have I come across procedural issues, not sure about Japan. Do not see that many to comment.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Zumbadaddy said:

How long did uour process take? -  7 long months!

Did you use a service like rapidvisa? - No, we prepared our application package on our own.

Have you planned a wedding date yet? - Yes, shooting for October 2018

Best wishes to you and your fiancée.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Habitaters said:

How long did uour process take? -  7 long months!

Did you use a service like rapidvisa? - No, we prepared our application package on our own.

Have you planned a wedding date yet? - Yes, shooting for October 2018

Best wishes to you and your fiancée.

Thank you... and best wishes for your October Wedding date... we have deposits on our venue and also the DJ but they are also in the loop that the dates can change due to K1-Visa hold ups.... otherwise we will be looking around Xmass 2018... but with both of us having kids in college and there involvement we really want our 1st date to go thru.

On 2/9/2018 at 3:57 PM, Canadianmusician said:

Anyone have experience with visiting the US for the first time after your "Application for Entry Withdrawn" incident? I tried to visit my boyfriend back in September with a lot of luggage and a one-way ticket, and the woman at the border was having none of it. I have since wised up to the system, and also my OPT from my F-1 student visa that was still valid at that time has expired. I should be ok just entering as a Canadian visitor for 2 weeks, right? I have a ton of evidence of ties to Canada to take with me: Round-trip ticket, letters from employers, recent pay-stubs, bills with my home address on them (I live with my parents right now so no rental agreement...). If they ask me about what happened in September, I should just tell the truth, right? Any Canadians who've had this situation and visited with no problems the next time? Thanks! 

*UPDATE* - I entered the US on Monday evening via pre-clearance in Victoria BC, Canada. The officer was very nice, and asked me all about my last attempt to enter when I was turned back in September. He let me explain what had happened, and wasn't at all aggressive or unpleasant. He looked at everything I had brought with me as evidence of ties to Canada (tax returns, proof of address, pay stubs and letters from employers), as well as the NOA1 for my K-1 petition (received in January). He made sure that I realized the consequences of trying to overstay my visit, and asked me to stop by the US immigration office when I get back in 12 days' time to prove to them that I came home. I'm really glad I made the effort to visit, although I'm aware that it's up to each individual officer to make the call...Just thought I'd update my story! Best of luck to everyone out there trying to visit their partners during this process :) 

• 10/30/2018 POE on K-1 visa
  • 12/03/2018 Married 😍
  • 12/07/2018 Sent AOS, EAD and AP forms 
  • 12/13/2018 NOA1
  • 12/21/2018 Received Biometrics appointment letter
  • 12/26/2018 Successful walk-in biometrics 
  • 03/20/2019 USCIS online case status for I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" 
  • 06/10/2019 EAD/AP expedite request submitted with evidence through Congressman's office
  • 06/17/2019 New Card is Being Produced! (EAD)
  • 11/15/2019 Interview! Approved 4 hours later
  • 11/23/2019 Received Green Card in the mail
  • 8/19/2021 Sent Removal of Conditions form
  • 8/24/2021 Application received, NOA1
  • 10/25/2021 Received biometrics waiver (dated 10/21/21)
  • 11/22/2021 Received 24-month extension letter
  • 11/7/2022 Filed N-400 Online
  • 4/6/2023 Naturalization Interview
  • 5/12/2023 Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I have read and searched lots of forums am facing the reoccurring issue of can you visit the USA once you have your K1 visa. Has anybody else recently done this (not whilst the K1 is pending). 

On the ESTA FAQs ... it says If applying for a B-2 visa, you will be required to furnish evidence of your residence outside the United States to which you intend returning at the end of your temporary stay. Although a pending immigrant or fiancé(e) visa application is not necessarily conclusive evidence of intent to abandon a U.K. residence, it is a factor considered by consular officers reviewing a visa application. If you are unable to convince the consular officer reviewing the application that you do not intend abandoning your residence, you will not be issued a visa.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-faqs/applying-for-an-immigrant-or-fiancee-visa-2/

It only describes a pending application not a granted. I know every case is different and up to the consular officer but experience or stories of people that have done this would be appreciated. 

Here someone from the UK who says it is possible and has done it but that it is stressful! 

A post I found:

Just an update for future travellers,

I landed at SFO a couple of nights ago and handed the border officer my passport with the K1 page visible. I explained that I had the K1 visa, but that I wanted to use it in January and that this trip was just a visit. The officer asked why I didn't want to use the visa right away. I explained that there was a few things I needed to do back home towards my phd before I could be free to move permanently to the USA. He said that makes sense.

The officer was really nice, as usual for SFO. He said it would be no problem, but they would need to ask a few more questions and take a look at the documents I brought, so he sent me to secondary.

I handed my passport to the officers in the secondary interview waiting area. I explained the situation and he said that it would be no problem. His exact words were "you're free to choose which one you want to use". This is the same as what we were told over the phone by immigration at the airport and in person by officers at the airport when my partner returned home in August.

We got talking about the visa, they said I'd get the K1 pack soon, I replied that I had it right here with me just in case and they both chuckled. Anyway I took a seat and waited for my name to be called. It took about 40 minutes, then I simply approached the desk and they handed back my passport stamped with the VWP entry clearance stamp. It was smiles all around, the officer said congratulations and "see you in January". It was such a great feeling :)

I wasn't asked to present any documents and had no probing questions. The officers were all very nice and professional. Man I love this country! What a contrast from the s*** storm of abuse my partner got from the Heathrow border officers when she came to visit.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's advice.

And in return, my advice for future travellers is to try and avoid doing what we did, as it was worrying (but I do worry more than the average person). If you decide to go for it, remember that the officer at the airport has absolute power. Prepare your evidence in advance (to give yourself confidence if nothing else) be polite and respectful. Be prepared to wait and go home with a smile if necessary (don't do anything to compromise your marriage visa)!

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just wanted to share my recent experience - I entered via Stewart airport (New York) on the Thursday the 22nd  Feb- I was incredibly nervous and had been fretting the entire flight about being refused entry and sent back! I had prepared and brought a letter from my employer stating the date I was returning to work - anyway, the interaction went as follows:

Me: Hi

Officer: How long are you visiting for?

Me: I fly back on Monday the 26th

Officer: What do you do for work?

Me: *states employer and job title*

Officer: Enjoy your stay

All that fretting for two questions!! <_<:D

NOA1: February 13th

NOA2: September 4th

NVC case # assigned: September 21st 

Medical @ Knightsbridge: December 5th

Interview: December 17th

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Just been approved my B2 tourist visa to go see my fiance for a motnh or so.

I applied at the Nairobi embassy as a Kenyan and went in shitting myself becasue of some feedback here, went with lots of evidence of ties to home country etc.

I was simply asked:

-have you been to usa before?

-where have yout ravelled before?

-why are you coming?

-who will you stay with?

-How long?

-do you have a job?

-how long have you had it?

Finally she ended by warning me not to overstay or I will jeopardise my K1.

I made it clear I am doing the k1 process and I just miss my fiance who cant get time off to come to kenya. 

If anyone is considering applying for a visa, DO IT. Its worth the risk of $160 application fee.

Thanks for the advice guys!

2 hours ago, peterad said:

Hi everyone,

Just been approved my B2 tourist visa to go see my fiance for a motnh or so.

I applied at the Nairobi embassy as a Kenyan and went in shitting myself becasue of some feedback here, went with lots of evidence of ties to home country etc.

I was simply asked:

-have you been to usa before?

-where have yout ravelled before?

-why are you coming?

-who will you stay with?

-How long?

-do you have a job?

-how long have you had it?

Finally she ended by warning me not to overstay or I will jeopardise my K1.

I made it clear I am doing the k1 process and I just miss my fiance who cant get time off to come to kenya. 

If anyone is considering applying for a visa, DO IT. Its worth the risk of $160 application fee.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Wow congratulations. I just returned from visiting my fiance for 9 days.  The whole thing at the airport went smoothly.  Hope you have a great time with your loved one

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.