Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Peot said:

Always be prepared! The CBP officer might be having a bad day and you don't want to always rely on luck ;)

The K1 visa process does NOT affect your ability to travel while it's processing. Don't worry about it.

In terms of the employment, that's a touchy subject. I can easily see how they can you working from home in the US while remotely working for a Dutch company would raise a lot of red flags for them. Basically, if you travel on a tourist visa they don't expect that you'll be working upon entering the country. This is also a problem if your Dutch company specifically tells you they want you working for them in the United States and employs you to do so without filing the proper paperwork.

Even if it's totally legit,  you may have issues proving it. 

Since the whole thing is a big "what if" though, use your own judgement at the border. Simply explaining that you have the ability to work remotely for a Dutch company sounds a lot better than "I'll be working while in the US"

Thanks so much! :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, Peot said:

Always be prepared! The CBP officer might be having a bad day and you don't want to always rely on luck ;)

The K1 visa process does NOT affect your ability to travel while it's processing. Don't worry about it.

In terms of the employment, that's a touchy subject. I can easily see how they can you working from home in the US while remotely working for a Dutch company would raise a lot of red flags for them. Basically, if you travel on a tourist visa they don't expect that you'll be working upon entering the country. This is also a problem if your Dutch company specifically tells you they want you working for them in the United States and employs you to do so without filing the proper paperwork.

Even if it's totally legit,  you may have issues proving it. 

Since the whole thing is a big "what if" though, use your own judgement at the border. Simply explaining that you have the ability to work remotely for a Dutch company sounds a lot better than "I'll be working while in the US"

Visitor status does not allow you to work in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
8 hours ago, Dutchess said:

Thanks!

I visited last year around the same the same time and I had no problems whatsoever. I've actually never had any issues before, but now we are in the K1 process. 

I also have more than enough savings :)  

Also, I might not be unemployed by that time. The company where I interned for in the Netherlands said they were looking for someone working for them in the US, Westcoast, but we still have to work that out. Should I mention that if that actually works out? Working from home for a Dutch company is allowed, right?

If your company want you to for them in the US, then they need to get you the proper work visa.

Working from home for a Dutch company is not allowed if there are US contacts - US customers, US office, US clients, US anything.

Edited by Jojo92122

I mean, you can inform CBP you will do some at-home work for a Dutch company if you want to but prepare to be send back on the first flight available

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

We just receive our NOA2 on June 8th ,waiting for NVC case number,I'm flying to visit my fiancé on July 1st for 8 days will I need any proof regarding my intention to return back to Uk 🇬🇧 

17 hours ago, Gary JT said:

We just receive our NOA2 on June 8th ,waiting for NVC case number,I'm flying to visit my fiancé on July 1st for 8 days will I need any proof regarding my intention to return back to Uk 🇬🇧 

They might ask for your return ticket, so have that in hand just in case.

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

13 minutes ago, audacieux89 said:

They might ask for your return ticket, so have that in hand just in case.

Thank you 😅 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just thought I'd add my experience since I just went through this.

I've actually stopped for 2 weeks in the US on my way to Montreal in Canada to do my interview.

I was quite nervous but ended up breezing through almost more quickly than I usually do. They were more concerned about the food I had declared. I simply mentioned I was visiting my fiancee, to which he asked for how long. I said two weeks, he took a quick peek at my printed flight itinerary and said have a good visit. Didn't even have to mention our process (though do NOT avoid it if they do ask).

As per another poster, I got my boss to write up a quick notice of return: "___ is an employee at ___ and has been given leave for vacation from __ to __. They are expected to return as of __. Any questions please contact me at __. 'signature' "

Helps to solidify your ties to home, though if you have a return ticket and are honest you should be more than fine. Go see your sweethearts! :)

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Question:

My last name on my passport was my previously married name.

My maiden name currently is my legal name.

Can I still travel with my passport even though the K-1 visa will pop up in the custom system with my legal last name?

I would hate to get to Europe and be given a return ticket back to the states.😕

On 6/19/2017 at 11:28 PM, AZSunshine78 said:

Question:

Can I still travel with my passport even though the K-1 visa will pop up in the custom system with my legal last name?

You probably should bring official documents to prove your legal name change...? Divorce decree (showing your married name) and some sort of legal paper that shows you changed from your married name to maiden name.

I know someone who travels with her daughter (minor) and they have different last names because she got divorced. They always get stopped at the checkpoint so she has to bring her papers with her all the time to prove that she is traveling with her daughter.

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
On 6/19/2017 at 11:28 AM, AZSunshine78 said:

Question:

Bring documents proving legal change name. And mostly, get your passport updated asap!

On 16/06/2017 at 10:49 PM, LittleLeaf said:

I just thought I'd add my experience since I just went through this.

I've actually stopped for 2 weeks in the US on my way to Montreal in Canada to do my interview.

I was quite nervous but ended up breezing through almost more quickly than I usually do. They were more concerned about the food I had declared. I simply mentioned I was visiting my fiancee, to which he asked for how long. I said two weeks, he took a quick peek at my printed flight itinerary and said have a good visit. Didn't even have to mention our process (though do NOT avoid it if they do ask).

As per another poster, I got my boss to write up a quick notice of return: "___ is an employee at ___ and has been given leave for vacation from __ to __. They are expected to return as of __. Any questions please contact me at __. 'signature' "

Helps to solidify your ties to home, though if you have a return ticket and are honest you should be more than fine. Go see your sweethearts! :)

I obtained a letter on headed paper from work stating my intention to return on July 11th a return ticket too,hope this is enough 😁😁

Another recent trip of mine:

We had NOA2. I flew out to visit for 2 weeks. We received NVC case number while I was there visiting :)

Nobody asked me for any evidence of anything, and I was completely honest with my intention for travel. Was through CBP in about 30 seconds.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Non English and Off topic  post removed.  It's is English only in the Upper forums. Please do not spam the boards with the same post.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi everyone! I want my fiancé to visit in sept for an engagement party and to help me pick out our new place for when he's here. By then he should have scheduled his interview. Our NOA1 date is 4/3/17. The issue is he doesn't have a job. He's really concerned they will turn him away. He'll have his return ticket as well as his interview date, hopefully. What else can we do to guarantee his entry in. We plan for him to be in for no longer than two weeks. He's coming from the U.K.  Thank you so much for the information in advance. 

Met at University in Scotland - August 2013

Tiae left Scotland - October 2014

Jonathan visited Tiae in the States - August 2015, August 2016, April 2017

Jonathan proposed - February 2016

Filed I-129f - March 2017

NOA1 - April 3, 2017

NOA2 - August 10, 2017

NVC Rec'd - August 28, 2017

NVC # rec'd - August 29, 2017

Left NVC - August 31, 2017

Consulate Rec'd - September 5, 2017

Package 3 Received - September 5, 2017

Package 3 Response - September 5, 2017

Medical Appt - September 15, 2017

Interview - September 25, 2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.