SpaceAge

Petitioner lost job, embassy interview up next

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I am conscious this is a public forum so need to be careful with the level of information here but I desperately need help. 

I have had my UK medical, my interview is in less than 2 weeks and my fiance just got fired. I cant quite believe it myself.

I have a completed affidavit that was all correct at the time of completion I had ready to take.

Do I cancel my interview and hope he gets a new job by the time my medical expires? If it was to expire, how long can I sit ‘in limbo’ before they abandon the case or deny the application?

I know I need to enter the US before the medical runs out IF I got approved and face another affidavit. I am struggling to find any assistance on changes of circumstances and of cause they do not help by phone.

The only helpful information is that rescheduling my interview is free and they hold the fees for a year to rebook. (So worst case we start over and hope at least this bit wouldnt need paying over) 

I am finding all the co sponsor hard to understand and just need $$ figures to know who to approach and how to approach it. Finances are a personal thing! I really didnt want a co sponsor to be responsible for me.  Realistically only his Mom may be able to sponsor but I dont think she may make enough as it says she has to cover both households? She lives with her husband in her home (he’s retired) and we would reside elsewhere so how much does she need to earn? She’s self employed. 

On assets only, I understand we need like $100,000 of liquid assets and we don’t have that. We would sell everything if we had to to try but it won’t solve the immediate problem. 

Have I failed with a couple of weeks to go and face starting over and losing all the costs paid out so far? :cry:

I have cried for 3 days solid. Any advice is appreciated as I had pretty much sold up and was ready to go in the next 8 weeks. I cant even face telling my friends and family. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

The mom would need to show proof of finances to support herself, her retired husband and you. So $20,780 is for a family of 3. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

While you may feel (and many others) that finances are a personal thing, this is also important to do. 

You can still live elsewhere - she should understand the role of sponsoring someone, but I feel that in "real life" most people are self-sufficient and your fiance would have a good chance of finding another job soon and you would be back on your way. 

My suggestion would be to attend the interview as scheduled with the co-sponsor information. You can try to do it without the co-sponsor, that's your choice - but if the consulate asks for it then you would sit in Administrative Processing until that time. I always think it's best to have something and not need it than to not have it. 

I also think that the UK allows for self-sponsorship (if you make enough money). 

Try to do more information on that as well if you feel that you may qualify. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Self sponsorship is for K1's, not sure which is involved here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, EandH0904 said:

The mom would need to show proof of finances to support herself, her retired husband and you. So $20,780 is for a family of 3. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

While you may feel (and many others) that finances are a personal thing, this is also important to do. 

You can still live elsewhere - she should understand the role of sponsoring someone, but I feel that in "real life" most people are self-sufficient and your fiance would have a good chance of finding another job soon and you would be back on your way. 

My suggestion would be to attend the interview as scheduled with the co-sponsor information. You can try to do it without the co-sponsor, that's your choice - but if the consulate asks for it then you would sit in Administrative Processing until that time. I always think it's best to have something and not need it than to not have it. 

I also think that the UK allows for self-sponsorship (if you make enough money). 

Try to do more information on that as well if you feel that you may qualify. 

Thanks for the replies both @Boiler

have you any idea of the amount for self sponsorship? This is the first I’ve heard of it but I have saved easily enough to see me well past 90 day (£25k). 

I can show this easily with my ISA which I was going to close out and put into my current account and use as required anyway even before he loat his job as I didn’t want to be a burden before I got a job.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.