LYX888

Can I go to school in the US while NVC processes my CR1 immigrant visa?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We've just sent through our DS-260 forms and files to the NVC for our CR1 immigrant visa petition. I have been accepted into a grad school in the US with school start dates in mid-September. Between now (end of June) and September, I don't think that will give me enough time to get my visa in order to enter the US to go to school. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I've already asked the school and they said they cannot issue me a student visa while my immigrant visa is processing. So I will just need to defer if I don't get my visa in time this year...I really don't want to have to defer my school acceptance next year because I missed it by a few weeks....

Does anyone know if there's a way around this or if there's anything I can apply for in the meantime to allow me to make it for the school year in September? 

Thanks so much! 

Nope. No way around it. 

You can start school once you have your green card. Like you said, no one will issue you this last minute student visa. 

Might have to wait until next year. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

You just have to wait for the CR1 visa in this case. It is unfortunate that you might miss it by just a few weeks or so (of course there's no way to know exactly how long NVC will take), but the CR1 is your only option at this point.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Consulate issue Visa's not Schools.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sometimes you can defer to the Spring semester (January), but you might have classes that are part of a sequence and it might not be possible. It depends on the grad program. You could ask about it.

But I wouldn't make any changes until the last minute because it might work out in the end. You should start making arranges and packing so that you can schedule the interview as early as possible. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.