beso36

Traveling with Pending i-751

10 posts in this topic

I am looking to travel in a few weeks for short business trip, I already have my Expired 2Y GC  and i551 Stamp so it should be sufficient to re-entry. But I had my i751 interview last week and still waiting for a decision hopefully they will approve my case but what happens if God forbade my case got denied while I am outside of the country, what is the case when I tried to re-enter the US? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I have seen on VJ people saying that their case was denied when they were out of the country and had a hard time being allowed entry at POE. It will depend on the POE officer of course. If the I-751 petition is denied while you are abroad, you may not be able to reenter the U.S. Personally I would hold on that trip until you know for sure you are approved. Why risk it? You are almost there. You just got your interview.

Edited by Sunnyland

On 6/19/2018 at 11:59 PM, Sunnyland said:

I have seen on VJ people saying that their case was denied when they were out of the country and had a hard time being allowed entry at POE. It will depend on the POE officer of course. If the I-751 petition is denied while you are abroad, you may not be able to reenter the U.S. Personally I would hold on that trip until you know for sure you are approved. Why risk it? You are almost there. You just got your interview.

Thanks for the advice. I agree with what you said, I will try to delay the trip but I am not sure I will be able to do that as it's work-related. Any estimate about how long I should wait before hearing from them back, the office mentioned between 90-120 days but this seems too long??

Timeline

Did you check your status online? To see if you got any update? 

PS: A friend of mine that had her interview in March, received her GC within less than 1 month from the interview. 

Edited by Sunnyland

11 hours ago, Sunnyland said:

Did you check your status online? To see if you got any update? 

PS: A friend of mine that had her interview in March, received her GC within less than 1 month from the interview. 

Yeah, I am checking it every day. it didn't reflect the interview letter but it shows received at my local office status On April 9, 2018, but I already had my interview on June 13. it's been 2 weeks now.  Hopefully will get it an approval soon.

BTW my case more complex and it's divorce wavier, I hope this would not effect the timeline.

Timeline

If anything, maybe you can make an uscis  InfoPass appointment to see if they can give you an update so you can do your trip with a peace of mind.

On 6/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, Sunnyland said:

If anything, maybe you can make an uscis  InfoPass appointment to see if they can give you an update so you can do your trip with a peace of mind.

i think this the best way to figure things out. thanks for the advise

On 6/19/2018 at 10:44 PM, aabdellah said:

I am looking to travel in a few weeks for short business trip, I already have my Expired 2Y GC  and i551 Stamp so it should be sufficient to re-entry. But I had my i751 interview last week and still waiting for a decision hopefully they will approve my case but what happens if God forbade my case got denied while I am outside of the country, what is the case when I tried to re-enter the US? 

I recently got my stamp for traveling purposes and asked the officer if I could travel without worrying about re-entering the country. He said that it is normal for us to travel while i-751 was pending, that's the purpose of the stamp. I even asked if I could renew my passport, have my old one with the stamp in it and my new one and use both. He said that there shouldn't be a problem. I emailed CBP anyway to confirm just in case. I also asked what if the case gets approved meanwhile I am out of country. He saw our NOA1 date and kind of laughed saying we won't be hearing anything before next year (we filed 08/07/2017). 

• 1 month later...

Thank God, I didn't travel. I just heard from my lawyer yesterday that my case was denied and I was traveling tomorrow and this would be a real issue when i come back. It sucks now because I need to refile a new application. 

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, beso36 said:

Thank God, I didn't travel. I just heard from my lawyer yesterday that my case was denied and I was traveling tomorrow and this would be a real issue when i come back. It sucks now because I need to refile a new application. 

Sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing why your case was denied and what’s the interview all about? 

God has perfect timing; never early, never late. It takes a little patience and it takes a lot of faith but it's worth the wait. ❤️

I was on a K-1 Visa on 2014.

I-751 Timeline California Service Center:

• Sent Packet: July 03,2017
  • NOA 1 Receipt Date: July 05,2017
  • NOA 2 Receipt Date: July 14,2017
  • Biometrics: August 02, 2017
  • Case Received at My Local Office - No Mail Notice- Just Online Status: February 26,2018
  • I-551 Stamp: August 13, 2018
  • 18 Months Extension Letter Receipt Date: August 18,2018
  • 18 Months Extension Letter Received: August 25, 2018
  • New Card is being Produced: October 15, 2018
  • Case was Approved: October 16,2018
  • Card was Mailed to me: October 17,2018
  • Card was picked up by the USPS: October 18,2018
  • Card Received/on Hand: October 19,2018

N-400 Timeline Las Vegas Field Office:

• Online Application : January 03,2019
  • Biometrics Appointment Scheduled: January 04, 2019
  • Biometrics: January 25, 2019
  • Interview Scheduled: August 16,2019
  • Interview Day: September 23, 2019
  • Approved Application: September 23, 2019
  • Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled: October 10,2019
  • Naturalization Day: November 15,2019
  • Passport Applied: November 15,2019 (Regular Processing)
  • Passport Received: January 07, 2020

IR-5 Timeline California Service Center - MOTHER:

• I-30 Online Application - January 08, 2020
  • NOA 1 Receipt Notice Received - January 13,2020
  • Approved (Approval Notice was uploaded online) - May 18,2020
  • NVC Number was issued via E-mail - May 18,2020
  • Submitted Documents on CEAC - July 23,2020
  • Documentarily Qualified - September 29,2020

Waiting for the interview schedule before doing the medical....

IR-5 Timeline California Service Center- FATHER

• I-30 Online Application : January 08,2020
  • NOA 1 Receipt Notice Received: January 13, 2020
  • Approved (Approval Notice was uploaded online) - October 23,2020
  • NVC Number was issued via E-mail - October 28,2020
  • Submitted Documents on CEAC - November 02,2020
  • Documentarily Qualified - January 27,2021

Waiting for the interview schedule before doing the medical....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.