RoseEinar

Lost Green Card

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iceland
Timeline

My husband received his permanent resident visa in March, and since then he's moved over here and we've left my parents' house for our own place. We didn't change the address that his card would get sent to, however, thinking that it might cause more problems than just leaving it alone. Well, it turns out that was a mistake because my father lost his card. He remembers the letter coming to the house (although he thought it was from the state we live in, I had to explain that's not what the Department of State is) but now can't find it. I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this, and how long from filing the I-90 did it take to get their card? USCIS website estimates 9-11 months but they also say it takes that long to get the card in the first place and it actually only took about 2 months... I'm hoping the process is not so long, and not very stressful! I could just kill my father. I thought we were done with these damn forms for at least a few years!

5 minutes ago, RoseEinar said:

My husband received his permanent resident visa in March, and since then he's moved over here and we've left my parents' house for our own place. We didn't change the address that his card would get sent to, however, thinking that it might cause more problems than just leaving it alone. Well, it turns out that was a mistake because my father lost his card. He remembers the letter coming to the house (although he thought it was from the state we live in, I had to explain that's not what the Department of State is) but now can't find it. I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this, and how long from filing the I-90 did it take to get their card? USCIS website estimates 9-11 months but they also say it takes that long to get the card in the first place and it actually only took about 2 months... I'm hoping the process is not so long, and not very stressful! I could just kill my father. I thought we were done with these damn forms for at least a few years!

wow !! I am speechless

I have no advice for your case, just can't believe my eyes that I read it !

ROC

- Mailed June 27,2020

- Delivered July 1, 2020

- SMS with Case Nr. SRC  and Check cashed July 8, 2020 

- NOA received July 20,2020- NOA dated July 14,2020

-Fingersprinting applied notification - Aug 10,2020

- Card being produced - Nov 2, 2020

23 minutes ago, RoseEinar said:

My husband received his permanent resident visa in March, and since then he's moved over here and we've left my parents' house for our own place. We didn't change the address that his card would get sent to, however, thinking that it might cause more problems than just leaving it alone.

Permanent resident is required to update his/hers address with USCIS.  Always. Until they receive citizenship. No matter if you think it can cause problems or not. 

"

Penalties for Failure to Comply

A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, you (or the parent or legal guardian of an alien under 14 years of age who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA Section 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of your stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize your ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit."

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

I still don't get why people don't have their green card locked up in a safe place.   Losing it should never happen.

Yes, I know it says that you have to carry it on you at all times.  My parents were green card holders for 20 years, they NEVER (not once) had it on their person.  And somehow they survived and are now citizens.  So it's possible to not carry it on your person.

You're required to carry it on you by law. But it's not enforced....a copy of it is all one would need to see to verify your status if somebody actually needed to see it (barring employment verification, entry into the US, etc., which need the physical card obviously).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

I wasn't actually looking for moral life lessons here, the point of this was more to ask if other people had gone through the same thing and had any useful advice. But thanks for all the judgements.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The stamp next to the visa in his passport substitutes for a green card for a year.  

Search the house thoroughly and if you don't find it, you already know what to do.

Did the Social Security Card arrive?  Do you have that?

The card came from USCIS, not the Department of State.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

I know that this is super frustrating, but the good thing is that your husband has only lost the card, he's still a permanent resident with all the benefits that that entails. So he can still work and travel just like any other permanent resident, he will just use the stamp in his passport rather than the green card itself. Honestly the worst part of the situation is having to pay the ridiculous fee for the new card lol

We lost my husband's card in late August of last year, and received the replacement in early April of this year, so about eight months in total. 

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you pushbrk and Miss Accountant, I really appreciate your comments and the fact that you can recognize hyperbole when you see it.

We do have his social security card, although we had to go apply directly at the local social security office even though we did check the "yes" box when we filed the last round of paperwork (it's been a while now and I've blissfully forgotten, I think that part was with the DoS? I wonder now whether the letter that came really was his green card, wouldn't that be just too much... I did check with USCIS and they said it was delivered though so I'm pretty sure it's gone) - the lady at the social security office said in her experience they only submit the paperwork for the SSN about half the time! And we do have the stamp in his passport which should be good until the replacement card comes. It's still a little unnerving, given the political climate, but it isn't the end of the world. We just got the letter informing us of our biometrics appointment so at least things seem to be rolling. Thank you again for talking to me like a human being who made a mistake instead of treating me like a responsibility-shirking homicidal monster. I wish everyone the best of luck with whatever future mistakes lie in their path and I hope they encounter compassionate people to help them through when they need it.

Edited by RoseEinar
missed space between words

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.