3 posts in this topic

Hello very one I apologize for my broken English but I will try my best to explain my situation 

My brother sponser me and I came to USA in 2014 and got my green card and in 2016 I got into a fight and charge with felony 4 in Ohio and ICE arrest me and immigration court told me I’m deportable and inadmissible bc of my offense in the mean time my lawyer file asylum for me so my criminal lawyer can change plea or drop my charges to lower charges and I can stay here the judge didn’t revoke my green card yet  but unfortunately they changed my plea felony 4 to felony 5 and it’s also fall in petty offense exemption and I also got married in 2014 too and my wife also filled I-130 n got approved 

At this moment my asylum case is pending and not till 2023 and I also fall in Petty offense exemption and also my I-130 approved to

What I don’t understand if I fall in petty offense exemption why my lawyer is not pursuing that one where I can save my current green card instead of waiting for asylum to get approved or adjustment of status through my wife 

Please also help I will really appricate it

Honestly don't understand why you failed for asylum AND why your wife filed i-130 for you if you already have a green card. And don't understand how your brother sponsored you to arrive in the U.S. but it took 2 years for you to receive a green card.  Something really doesn't add up. 

Also - keep those questions for the lawyers because I'm sure this is beyond DYI website. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Your lawyer filed an asylum claim for you, but you're still a green card holder?

I do not believe they can adjudicate an adjustment of status application while you have a pending asylum case, so the AOS through your wife's I-130 is premature (assuming the I-130 has not been destroyed yet and a new one needs to be filed). Not to mention, they need to revoke your LPR status before you can apply for a  new LPR status.

A denied asylum case can normally result in removal proceedings, but it sounds like you already have proceedings pending. A frivolous asylum claim can result in a permanent bar as well.

This very much not a DIY case, and there seems to be a significant backstory/timeline and details not explained here. I suggest a very good immigration attorney to make sense of it. If you are happy with your current lawyer, that's fine. If not, then you can look for a new one that can better explain the situation to you and next steps to be taken.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.