Dashinka

Travel Question With Two Passports w/ Different Names

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I know the usual method when the passport name is a maiden name and the GC name is in the married name is to purchase the tickets in the passport name and make sure one has a copy of the marriage certificate with them.  Now my question is what if someone has a passport in two different names?  My wife recently was naturalized and will soon have her US passport in her married name, and we are taking a trip to Russia.  I was pondering getting the tickets in her married name, but I relented and used the Russian passport name since that is where we are traveling.

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with two passports with different names?

Thanks.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I know the usual method when the passport name is a maiden name and the GC name is in the married name is to purchase the tickets in the passport name and make sure one has a copy of the marriage certificate with them.  Now my question is what if someone has a passport in two different names?  My wife recently was naturalized and will soon have her US passport in her married name, and we are taking a trip to Russia.  I was pondering getting the tickets in her married name, but I relented and used the Russian passport name since that is where we are traveling.

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with two passports with different names?

Thanks.

I have heard of people using the Russian passport to go over there and the US passport to go back.

Edit. I have only seen this on hear and do not have first hand experience with it.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I have heard of people using the Russian passport to go over there and the US passport to go back.

Edit. I have only seen this on hear and do not have first hand experience with it.

That is what I was wondering.  On this trip, I did it just like we did with the GC and purchased the tickets in the name on the Russian passport since she does not actually have the US passport in her hand (it is on expedite and should be here next week), but going forward.  The only real hiccup I could think of was when checking into her flight to Russia if the tickets were in her married name.  We have much more experience with checking into a flight to the US with a Russian passport (maiden name) and GC (married name), so may want to just keep doing that method.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

That is what I was wondering.  On this trip, I did it just like we did with the GC and purchased the tickets in the name on the Russian passport since she does not actually have the US passport in her hand (it is on expedite and should be here next week), but going forward.  The only real hiccup I could think of was when checking into her flight to Russia if the tickets were in her married name.  We have much more experience with checking into a flight to the US with a Russian passport (maiden name) and GC (married name), so may want to just keep doing that method.

You can't enter and exit the US on a foreign passport if you are a USC

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

You can't exit?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yes you can use one passport for the outgoing trip and another for the incoming one. My brother has three citizenships and does this multiple times a year. 

@Bill & Katya But the concern here is that the ticket will be either in one passport's name, or the other. So that means for one leg of the journey, the ticket won't match the name on the passport. Yes, I think this COULD be an issue.

One possibility to avoid this is to buy two one-way tickets and make sure each ticket matches the name of the passport she is using for that leg. Ie ticket to Russia matches the Russian passport, and ticket to the US matches the US passport. 

4 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

One can use the Russian passport to enter Russia and the US passport to enter US. You only need to show passport to exit the country to 1) prove identification and 2) prove you are authorized to enter the country you are flying to. So yes, she can do use Russian passport to exit the US to Russia

Edited by Teemo

Timeline
3 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

You can't exit?

I have dualies (kids).  I am basing enter / exit on the following information (I picked a random embassy, the FAQ's are the same)

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/u-s-passport-faqs/u-s-citizenship/

U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on valid U.S. passports, even if they hold a passport from another country. If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, or if it has expired, you must apply to replace it before traveling to the United States.

We ALWAYS scan the US passport with the airline ticket, coming and going.   We do show the airline the other passport that will be used to enter the destination country when they ask us for the visa.  I know that this does not help you with your question but I would never use a non-US passport in the US.

Destination country immigration:  We show the foreign passports going in and coming out.  At the same airport we still fly out on the passport we booked the ticket on - the US passport.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I have dualies (kids).  I am basing enter / exit on the following information (I picked a random embassy, the FAQ's are the same)

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/u-s-passport-faqs/u-s-citizenship/

U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on valid U.S. passports, even if they hold a passport from another country. If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, or if it has expired, you must apply to replace it before traveling to the United States.

We ALWAYS scan the US passport with the airline ticket, coming and going.   We do show the airline the other passport that will be used to enter the destination country when they ask us for the visa.  I know that this does not help you with your question but I would never use a non-US passport in the US.

Destination country immigration:  We show the foreign passports going in and coming out.  At the same airport we still fly out on the passport we booked the ticket on - the US passport.

Thanks.  Since we are on two different airlines flying through China on their 24-48hr visa free program, I am considering changing the name on my wife’s US carriers ticket, then when we get to China outbound, she can show her Russian passport that matches her ticket on the next airline, then when we are coming back she can use her US passport that matches her ticket for the flight that leaves for the US in 12hrs.

I think that will work as she will be able to show Chinese immigration that she has a connecting flight within the visa free window.

Thoughts?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Not exactly two passports, but plane ticket to home country was in my Greencard name, not in my passport name (wasn't thinking). Airline had no problem with it, just told me to show TSA the Greencard rather than the passport at security, leaving the country. 

Last year, when my ticket was in my passport name, not the Greencard, flying out of home country they did some typing in the system and told me I would be selected for a random security check. Sure enough, I was pulled to the side to open my bags, totally randomly.

9 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Thanks.

I have read of instances where a US Citizen or legal resident that holds a US Passport uses say their Philippine passport.  The US state department warns that you should always use your US passport.  Just in case you get into any kind of trouble while out of country.  You don't want the US to tell you to go see the country whose passport you are carrying.

Timeline
45 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

I have read of instances where a US Citizen or legal resident that holds a US Passport uses say their Philippine passport.  The US state department warns that you should always use your US passport.  Just in case you get into any kind of trouble while out of country.  You don't want the US to tell you to go see the country whose passport you are carrying.

Sure, we understand that, but in this case we are traveling to he country where my wife has her other passport.  If we were going to a different country, we would only use her US passport.  The big issue we have is changing her name in the Russian passport is really a big pain.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Sure, we understand that, but in this case we are traveling to he country where my wife has her other passport.  If we were going to a different country, we would only use her US passport.  The big issue we have is changing her name in the Russian passport is really a big pain.

I think you should be fine take both passport and court document showing the rule to change her name. And hand only the Russian passport when exiting Russia and if they ask for visa give them the US passport and if they wonder about the name than you give them the court order. But always present the Russian passport since her ticket is in her Russian name. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Thanks.  Since we are on two different airlines flying through China on their 24-48hr visa free program, I am considering changing the name on my wife’s US carriers ticket, then when we get to China outbound, she can show her Russian passport that matches her ticket on the next airline, then when we are coming back she can use her US passport that matches her ticket for the flight that leaves for the US in 12hrs.

I think that will work as she will be able to show Chinese immigration that she has a connecting flight within the visa free window.

Thoughts?

Once we enter ASEAN we generally fly on the non-US passports - at least my family does.  We arrive at destination - go through immigration on my US/their foreign passport, and any short local flight we take (regional) is booked on the passport we entered immigration through. 

What you are thinking here seems to be very similar to what we do by habit and in fact I know of Indonesian dualies (because Indonesia doesn't recognize dual citizenship after a certain age I believe 19) who fly to a regional ASAEN airport on a US outbound/inbound booked on their US passport, enter that country on their Indo passport, then after a brief stay have outbound/inbound flights from that country booked on their indo passports to actually stamp out from one country and stamp into Indonesia on their Indonesian passports. 

Based on these experiences, what you are considering looks like a really good option to address your problem.  We have researched this a lot not necessarily because it's a problem but on the remote chance that someday my wife might get a US passport.  She doesn't want one, but who knows.

My one practice that I never deviate from is that US inbound/outbound are always booked (and the travel info that is entered with the booking) on the US passports.  It is based on the information shared above, which hasn't changed in years.

Best of luck to you guys,

Can you add both of her last names on her ticket? That might be easier. 

I have 2 last names. Sometimes I got tickets (bought by work) that had one of my last names. Nobody cared at the airport. Once they asked for an additional proof of my name and I gave them a credit card and another ID. 

I know that it is not the same, but it could be a solution. She can take evidence that she changed her last name. 

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
11 hours ago, Teemo said:

Yes you can use one passport for the outgoing trip and another for the incoming one. My brother has three citizenships and does this multiple times a year. 

Be careful here with advice on travel.  For my family I follow and always advise to follow this rule rigorously and never, ever use non-US passports for travel, booking, or passenger entry data for flights in or out of the US.  There is an entry/exit record kept somewhere, USC or not, and for me since I don't know how those records are collected or kept we choose to keep US entry/exit booking info with the US passport to avoid ever being flagged.

This is on the main state department website (it's all over the place but this is a second reference on this rule)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.  

To/from the US:  US passport.  To/from any other country:  Doesn't appear to matter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.