5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I’m looking for some advice, my interview is next week and I’m a little concerned if I’m asked “when did he propose/how did he propose” so wondered if anyone could shed some light...

I first started talking to my fiancé in 2016, we met in July 2017 when I went to the US, we had discussed marriage throughout our relationship and when I was there in July we mutually decided to get married however we didn’t purchase rings. 

We filed for a K1 visa in October and he visted me in November 2017 and after meeting my parents and receiving their blessing, we exchanged rings however there was no formal “on one knee proposal” (that isn’t us).. plus we were already referring to each other as fiancé etc. 

if im asked the above question .. how do I word the above without going into too much detail? Do I say he didn’t formally propose and it was a mutual engagement? We exchanged rings later??! Help! 

Just say the truth.. 

Embassy don't care if anyone got down on their knees, or had a party, or whatever their rings were silver or gold..

As long as you mutually agreed to get married, it's fine.  

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My interview is next week too & our story is similar.

I guess you answer them like you have here if that question is asked, you can go in to detail if you want to. Like Roel said, they don't mind how you came to your decision, they want assurances that you will get married and not slip through the system. Since you're not coming from a "high fraud" country I would think that the interview won't focus so much on the authenticity of your relationship. You have evidence of visiting each other, you've got approval so far which means you have everything in order up until now, it's fine (that's what I keep telling myself anyway :wacko: ).

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We have a similar story, we both decided that we wanted to get married and then started our visa application, it wasn't until a good few months later that he 'officially' proposed - gave me an engagement ring, etc. Good luck in your interview :)

NOA1: February 13th

NOA2: September 4th

NVC case # assigned: September 21st 

Medical @ Knightsbridge: December 5th

Interview: December 17th

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.