Steeleballz

Trump faces backlash after saluting North Korean general

50 posts in this topic

The look on everyone's face in the background says it all. Trump was played.

180614-trump-salute-screengrab-1160.png

By REBECCA MORIN

06/14/2018 01:09 PM EDT

Updated 06/14/2018 02:23 PM EDT

President Donald Trump is facing some heat Thursday after he went against presidential norms by saluting a North Korean general.

“I’m not trying to be gratuitous or unfair but isn’t saluting a General from an enemy military sort of a big deal?” tweeted Hawaii Sen. Brian Schatz, a Democrat.

North Korea's state news channel on Thursday was the first to broadcast a 42-minute long video from Trump’s meeting this week with Kim Jong Un. In a clip shared by the BBC, Trump is shown meeting various North Korean officials, including a North Korean military general.

The general first salutes Trump, to which the president salutes back, before shaking his hand. Kim is seen smiling in the background of the interaction.

“To no one’s surprise, North Korea used our President for their propaganda campaign," tweeted Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), calling it "nauseating" to see the salute after Trump had just bashed traditional U.S. allies days earlier over trade disputes at Group of Seven meeting.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/14/trump-north-korea-general-salute-646248

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

4 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

By REBECCA MORIN

President Donald Trump is facing some heat Thursday after he went against presidential norms by saluting a North Korean general.

“I’m not trying to be gratuitous or unfair but isn’t saluting a General from an enemy military sort of a big deal?” tweeted Hawaii Sen. Brian Schatz, a Democrat.

North Korea's state news channel on Thursday was the first to broadcast a 42-minute long video from Trump’s meeting this week with Kim Jong Un. In a clip shared by the BBC, Trump is shown meeting various North Korean officials, including a North Korean military general.

The general first salutes Trump, to which the president salutes back, before shaking his hand. Kim is seen smiling in the background of the interaction.

“To no one’s surprise, North Korea used our President for their propaganda campaign," tweeted Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), calling it "nauseating" to see the salute after Trump had just bashed traditional U.S. allies days earlier over trade disputes at Group of Seven meeting.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/14/trump-north-korea-general-salute-646248

Of course the so called "backlash I am seeing is coming from those that have NEVER served a day in their lives. This is common courtesy throughout the military around the world is that you salute higher ranking officers of a foreign military. The big difference thing is Who saluted first, because the person saluting first is ALWAYS the lower ranking officer or official. While the higher ranking officer or official is the one receiving the salute, acknowledges it, and returns it if need be.

If he didn't salute the General then there would be backlash as well because "Trump was disrespecting a high ranking General".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

35251090_1723197344425718_25690542387935

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

7 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Of course the so called "backlash I am seeing is coming from those that have NEVER served a day in their lives. This is common courtesy throughout the military around the world is that you salute higher ranking officers of a foreign military. The big difference thing is Who saluted first, because the person saluting first is ALWAYS the lower ranking officer or official. While the higher ranking officer or official is the one receiving the salute, acknowledges it, and returns it if need be.

If he didn't salute the General then there would be backlash as well because "Trump was disrespecting a high ranking General".

I think you missed the big picture here. This looks like it was a photo-op set up for the legitimacy of the NK regime. It's not Trump exchanging salutes, it's a picture of the general extending a hand shake and Trump giving back a salute. While KJU sits in the background nodding approval. 

As far as the salute itself I don't care. Anyone who freaked out when Obama returned a bow to a foreign leader certainly looks like a hypocrite if they don't see anything wrong here. That aside though, it should be obvious that Trump was set up here. Just another way North Korea got what they wanted from the summit. Now hopefully we will find out later that they had to actually give something in return.

40 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

By REBECCA MORIN

I think he should be impaled and then impeached. As a former grunt, I would have saluted him also, just like prisoners did in POW camps. It says more about the person saluting than the person being saluted him also.

I take it you never served ?

Filed: Timeline

I agree that Trump should never have saluted first, to any ranking officer of any military.  The lower rank always initiates the salute, and holds it until after the higher rank drops his.

However, Trump never served, and probably doesn’t know that.  Obama ignored salutes from Marines several times, didn’t put his hand over his heart nor face the flag during the national anthem,  going against protocol many times.  Didn’t change much in history, and probably only military folks noticed.

1 minute ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I think he should be impaled and then impeached. As a former grunt, I would have saluted him also, just like prisoners did in POW camps. It says more about the person saluting than the person being saluted him also.

I take it you never served ?

Totally anecdotal, and not that I have really paid attention, but willing to wager that the majority of the left-leaners on this forum did not serve.  I can think of at least 5 or 6 who have been very vocal against Trump, and know for a fact they never did.

9 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

I agree that Trump should never have saluted first, to any ranking officer of any military.  The lower rank always initiates the salute, and holds it until after the higher rank drops his.

However, Trump never served, and probably doesn’t know that.  Obama ignored salutes from Marines several times, didn’t put his hand over his heart nor face the flag during the national anthem,  going against protocol many times.  Didn’t change much in history, and probably only military folks noticed.

I'm pretty sure I read that the NK General saluted first, then offered his hand. Trump then saluted, before shaking his hand.

I think in most situations (with most countries) people wouldn't have a problem with it. The news articles I've seen upset about it are more focused on the general "flattery" that Trump extended toward North Korea and its military, considering North Korea's long history of human rights abuses etc... It's not just this interaction, it's repeatedly saying things like how KJU is "honorable" and a "great guy" etc...

For me I sort of recognize it as being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think in order to get through to KJU you need to flatter him (In some ways his personality strikes me as similar to Trump's). Does it suck that we have to essentially build up and compliment an evil dictatorship? Yes, but if it truly does lead to denuclearization it may be worth it.

Edited by bcking

7 minutes ago, bcking said:

I'm pretty sure I read that the NK General saluted first, then offered his hand. Trump then saluted, before shaking his hand.

I think in most situations (with most countries) people wouldn't have a problem with it. The news articles I've seen upset about it are more focused on the general "flattery" that Trump extended toward North Korea and its military, considering North Korea's long history of human rights abuses etc... It's not just this interaction, it's repeatedly saying things like how KJU is "honorable" and a "great guy" etc...

For me I sort of recognize it as being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think in order to get through to KJU you need to flatter him (In some ways his personality strikes me as similar to Trump's). Does it suck that we have to essentially build up and compliment an evil dictatorship? Yes, but if it truly does lead to denuclearization it may be worth it.

If that is the case, then good on him, he handled it properly.  NOT saluting would have been a sign of disrespect.

6 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

If that is the case, then good on him, he handled it properly.  NOT saluting would have been a sign of disrespect.

Exactly that. As I said I think most media outlets complaining about it are really just complaining that he decided to show respect to KJU and his Generals, despite the knowledge that they are a military dictatorship that uses and abuses their people. Some question whether that type of diplomacy is appropriate for that kind of person.

As I said - If it gets the job done, I personally don't care as much. I think it really works on KJU, just like that sort of behavior works well on Trump. We saw that in the "back and forth" they had before the meeting.

30 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

Right, that part is not a big deal to me. Now do you think the North Korean general didn't know that? Or do you think there was maybe a reason for the photo to end up looking like this. If you didn't catch it in the article, North Korea released this picture. A lot of the so called experts on North Korea weighed in with what they though the North was trying to accomplish with this meeting. Looks like they may have been right.

2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Right, that part is not a big deal to me. Now do you think the North Korean general didn't know that? Or do you think there was maybe a reason for the photo to end up looking like this. If you didn't catch it in the article, North Korea released this picture. A lot of the so called experts on North Korea weighed in with what they though the North was trying to accomplish with this meeting. Looks like they may have been right.

Dude, it don't matter what army you are in that is one of the first things you learn. 

31 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Dude, it don't matter what army you are in that is one of the first things you learn. 

Yes, but then why are you are still having some trouble with what happened here.  It's not the salute by Trump that is the issue, it's the fact the North Korean General did not hold his salute and they end up getting a picture where Trump is the only one saluting. I am saying they did that on purpose, and Trump got caught because he doesn't know any better. That is propaganda 101 and Trump walked right into it. 

Or are you suggesting Trump is the lower rank of the two? Cause that's what the picture is saying to the North Koreans. 

7 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

The newest non issue CNN will spend all their time talking about.

Saw it on the local FOX affiliate too. As the linked article says, Trump generally salutes foreign military officers. I have no issue with that. I do think he was set up here. As the linked article shows, not all former military personnel agree with him saluting either.

Retired Rear Adm. John Kirby, a military and diplomatic analyst, called the moment “striking.”

“They can see a propaganda value here and this is basically them showing the level of deference and respect that Trump has paid to them and to their military leaders,” Kirby said.

“It was an inappropriate for him to do from a protocol perspective, but now he’s played right into the North’s propaganda about their legitimacy on the world stage.”

Edited by Steeleballz