KCMO

Will i be denied re-entry as a permeanent resident for Misdemeanor Class B Conviction?

32 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, KCMO said:

i believe i have already explained this couple of times in this thread including the original post. In order to change from a moving to non moving violation to avoid having points on my drivers record. As per my attorney we are reducing the charge to  a non moving violation by guilty plea to this. Otherwise it would remain as a speeding violation causing the points to be on my drivers record. 

I believe that you don't understand the legal system.  The words "misdemeanor" and "felony" are reserved for criminal convictions.  In 24 years of driving, I have never seen them used in relation to a traffic infraction.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

I believe that you don't understand the legal system.  The words "misdemeanor" and "felony" are reserved for criminal convictions.  In 24 years of driving, I have never seen them used in relation to a traffic infraction.

Yes this is what confused me - maybe @Cyberfx1024can shed some light as he quickly shut me down when I zeroed in on this. I've always seen a misdemeanor as something more than a traffic violation - it's more analogous to shoplifting or disturbing the peace or something. And for those, it is highly recommended to have the certified court disposition and police record.

@KCMO you keep saying that this misdemeanor conviction is better because it avoids points on your driving record, but is it actually BETTER for immigration purposes? On the face of it, if you are now "convicted of a misdemeanor," I'd say no it isn't. Or are you using the wrong language?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

Dont know what is your expertise or knowledge about the amended charges. but here is what i received from attorney today . he emailed me copies of e notification from the court and his own letter. In some time i will try to conceal peraonal details and upload the jpgs but for now here is some text from it.

(

The record of traffic disp issued :
The traffic Disp was sent electronically to DOR and/or MHSP for charge no 1 violation 302.020 -001 (and some numbers), -Failure to register Mt.Veh. The charge was diaposed as guilty plea.

And my attorney's letter says this : 
" Dear Client,

I filed a guilty plea on your behalf to failure to register a motor vehicle and paid your fines and costs. Enclosed is the documentation to verify that your charge was amended to Failure to register a motor vehicle. Your case is now concluded , file has been closed'. )

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
25 minutes ago, KCMO said:

i believe i have already explained this couple of times in this thread including the original post. In order to change from a moving to non moving violation to avoid having points on my drivers record. As per my attorney we are reducing the charge to  a non moving violation by guilty plea to this. Otherwise it would remain as a speeding violation causing the points to be on my drivers record. 

what confuses me is that you were originally charged with speeding...but the final disposition is in regards to "failure to register a motor vehicle"?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Going through said:

what confuses me is that you were originally charged with speeding...but the final disposition is in regards to "failure to register a motor vehicle"?

The OP may have this problem as well so the speeding got ignored by the Judge.  Also, OP, you could have opted for driving class and not have point your DL..? Hiring attorney etc may have been more of a hassle and expensive.

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, KCMO said:

Dont know what is your expertise or knowledge about the amended charges. but here is what i received from attorney today . he emailed me copies of e notification from the court and his own letter. In some time i will try to conceal peraonal details and upload the jpgs but for now here is some text from it.

(

The traffic Disp was sent electronically to DOR and/or MHSP for charge no 1 violation 302.020 -001 (and some numbers), -Failure to register Mt.Veh. The charge was diaposed as guilty plea.

" Dear Client,

I filed a guilty plea on your behalf to failure to register a motor vehicle and paid your fines and costs. Enclosed is the documentation to verify that your charge was amended to Failure to register a motor vehicle. Your case is now concluded , file has been closed'. )

You keep saying "disp." What is that? A certified disposition, like what I have been saying you should have on you?

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Teemo said:

You keep saying "disp." What is that? A certified disposition, like what I have been saying you should have on you?

For the purposes of admissibility to the US, the OP still won't need to present the certified disposition at the border since it's still a traffic violation that didn't involve a DUI/DWI.  

For the purposes of the N400 (if OP wishes to go that route later on down the road) it may come in handy then, but even still unlikely needed since it was a traffic violation with a fine less than $500.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

You won't be denied entry as an LPR, although nobody is guaranteed entry except a US citizen. You would either be admitted or paroled (with or without detainment while the case is referred to an immigration judge).

For your specific case, I wouldn't worry at all about it...it's not a CIMT or even serious.

3 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

What are you talking about? This is not a DUI/DWI so he will be fine.

For entry, yes. But it's good to have in case they file for naturalization later...the IO could always ask for the court papers for even minor offenses or violations.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, Going through said:

For the purposes of admissibility to the US, the OP still won't need to present the certified disposition at the border since it's still a traffic violation that didn't involve a DUI/DWI.  

For the purposes of the N400 (if OP wishes to go that route later on down the road) it may come in handy then, but even still unlikely needed since it was a traffic violation with a fine less than $500.

Thanks. This makes so much sense :). I will still take the letters thatmy sttorney sent me and print out docket entry from county records that show the traffic ticket charge was amended. 

btw if you google amending traffic tickets there are many articles showing that attorneys try to get the drivers record free by amending traffic tickets to nonmoving violation. 

Screenshot_20180614-022123.png

Timeline
6 minutes ago, KCMO said:

Thanks. This makes so much sense :). I will still take the letters thatmy sttorney sent me and print out docket entry from county records that show the traffic ticket charge was amended.

Keep proof of payment for the traffic ticket---that's most what's on an IO's mind (when adjudicating the N400 regarding traffic citations if you ever file for citizenship).

Certified court documents are also a good thing to have (not just for an N400 but other things as well in your future), since the case actually wound up in court.

I understand your trepidation over this as I do have a criminal history with a more serious CIMT charge and sweated bullets whenever crossing the border before and when I was a LPR----really, you should be fine as it's a minor traffic violation.  

Edited by Going through

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Going through said:

Keep proof of payment for the traffic ticket---that's most what's on an IO's mind (when adjudicating the N400 regarding traffic citations if you ever file for citizenship).

Certified court documents are also a good thing to have (not just for an N400 but other things as well in your future), since the case actually wound up in court.

I have asked my husband to talk  my attorney about these. I hope i dont have to have these while getting back to the country. But yes , lets hope i receive them asap.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, KCMO said:

I have asked my husband to talk  my attorney about these. I hope i dont have to have these while getting back to the country. But yes , lets hope i receive them asap.

If anything, you can get your full driving record from the DMV...it would show all violations and payments as received.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline
5 hours ago, KCMO said:

(

" Dear Client,

First, Even an individual can speak to the district attorney or prosecutor in the court room and ask for leniency and very typically if you have a clean record the charges are reduced. Very common. In my town they are reduced to a parking ticket. The town still gets their money and no record for the  driver. Secondly, as a ex-police officer, I have never, never, ever seen not having a registered car being a misdemeanor..It is just a ticket punishable by a fine and still no record for the owner. Most times if you get the car registered before the court date the ticket is just thrown out. And lastly, having read your info above, where does it even say "misdemeanor" ? Finally, as others have stated, you are good to go.( IMHO, I doubt that this ticket will ever appear in any kind of immigration database anyway)

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Enigma11561 said:

First, Even an individual can speak to the district attorney or prosecutor in the court room and ask for leniency and very typically if you have a clean record the charges are reduced. Very common. In my town they are reduced to a parking ticket. The town still gets their money and no record for the  driver. Secondly, as a ex-police officer, I have never, never, ever seen not having a registered car being a misdemeanor..It is just a ticket punishable by a fine and still no record for the owner. Most times if you get the car registered before the court date the ticket is just thrown out. And lastly, having read your info above, where does it even say "misdemeanor" ? Finally, as others have stated, you are good to go.( IMHO, I doubt that this ticket will ever appear in any kind of immigration database anyway)

Awesome. Thanks for that. I just saw some wording on county website and freaked out . i will share some screenshots  with personal details masked.

20180614_025550.png

20180614_024758.jpg

20180614_025023.png

20180614_021837.jpg

Edited by KCMO

7 hours ago, KCMO said:

IMO, this is a nonissue. You’re not going to be denied entry due to a traffic ticket - moving or non moving violation. RELAX. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.