WOG

ready to go - AOS package

10 posts in this topic

Hi All - sorry in advance for long post!

Fiancee comes over on the K1 from the UK next week and should be ready to send the AOS package (including right to work) shortly after our NYC courthouse wedding. Wanted to put together a summary of the package and some questions to get the groups feedback. For background our case is somewhat straightforward - no children, previous marriages, issues with support, etc. 

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated

Including in my package to be sent to USCIS in Chicago:

1. G-1145

2. I-485 form + filing fees - $1,225

3. I-797 - assumption here is that this is in my fiancee's unopened package includes this? otherwise I only have the 797C showing receipt of the I-129F form

4. Copy of Marriage Certificate - understanding is that this does not need to certified?

5. Birth Certificate Copy (long form including parents names)

6. Copy of passport page w/ nonimmigrant visa

7. Copy of passport page w/ admission or parole stamp

8. 2 passport photos

9. Copy of Form I-94 this form i will pull directly from the CBP website - is it updated in real time (i.e. can i pull my fiancee's arrival info next day?)

10. I-864 form of support

11. I-765 - no fees needed if with I-485. to confirm - any way to expediate this? I believe there isn't

12. I-693 - currently not planning on including - can file later/possibly not needed as within one year and good on vaccinations

Questions

On I-485

• Part 1, Q15-21 – to confirm this information for K1 holders would be the time they entered the US on the K1 visa (i.e. the last time they arrived)
    • For 19. does the packet include a nonimmigrant visa number?
  • Part 1, Q22 – to confirm you would select 22.a. for K1 individuals – I’ve written “K Visa Holder”
  • Part 1, Q23a-c. – assuming this information is pulled from online after K1 holder has entered country
  • Part 1, Q24. – as we have gone from engaged to married, I’ve put “K1 visa holder, now married” to reflect the current immigrant status – since I am assuming it has changed since her arrival on the K1?
  • Part 2, Q3-4 – assumption here is that I will need to pull the information from the K1’s visa holder packet after she is in the country
  • Part 3, Q1 – assumption here is that you would select no for a K1 visa holder (as their application for a K1 visa was not a permanent resident application)
  • Part 5, Q10 – As a USA citizen, I would assume that I would select “No” here as I as the spouse am not applying (just my fiancée/now wife)

On I-765

• Q18 – I’ve written “K1 visa holder” – confirm accurate?
  • Q19. – I’ve written in “K1 visa married applying for AOS and EAD” should I be putting something different here?

Thank you in advance to anyone who has a chance to take a look!

Thanks

J

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 minutes ago, WOG said:

Hi All - sorry in advance for long post!

Fiancee comes over on the K1 from the UK next week and should be ready to send the AOS package (including right to work) shortly after our NYC courthouse wedding. Wanted to put together a summary of the package and some questions to get the groups feedback. For background our case is somewhat straightforward - no children, previous marriages, issues with support, etc. 

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated

Including in my package to be sent to USCIS in Chicago:

1. G-1145

2. I-485 form + filing fees - $1,225

3. I-797 - assumption here is that this is in my fiancee's unopened package includes this? otherwise I only have the 797C showing receipt of the I-129F form

4. Copy of Marriage Certificate - understanding is that this does not need to certified?

5. Birth Certificate Copy (long form including parents names)

6. Copy of passport page w/ nonimmigrant visa

7. Copy of passport page w/ admission or parole stamp

8. 2 passport photos

9. Copy of Form I-94 this form i will pull directly from the CBP website - is it updated in real time (i.e. can i pull my fiancee's arrival info next day?)

10. I-864 form of support

11. I-765 - no fees needed if with I-485. to confirm - any way to expediate this? I believe there isn't

12. I-693 - currently not planning on including - can file later/possibly not needed as within one year and good on vaccinations

Questions

On I-485

• Part 1, Q15-21 – to confirm this information for K1 holders would be the time they entered the US on the K1 visa (i.e. the last time they arrived)
    • For 19. does the packet include a nonimmigrant visa number?
  • Part 1, Q22 – to confirm you would select 22.a. for K1 individuals – I’ve written “K Visa Holder”
  • Part 1, Q23a-c. – assuming this information is pulled from online after K1 holder has entered country
  • Part 1, Q24. – as we have gone from engaged to married, I’ve put “K1 visa holder, now married” to reflect the current immigrant status – since I am assuming it has changed since her arrival on the K1?
  • Part 2, Q3-4 – assumption here is that I will need to pull the information from the K1’s visa holder packet after she is in the country
  • Part 3, Q1 – assumption here is that you would select no for a K1 visa holder (as their application for a K1 visa was not a permanent resident application)
  • Part 5, Q10 – As a USA citizen, I would assume that I would select “No” here as I as the spouse am not applying (just my fiancée/now wife)

On I-765

• Q18 – I’ve written “K1 visa holder” – confirm accurate?
  • Q19. – I’ve written in “K1 visa married applying for AOS and EAD” should I be putting something different here?

Thank you in advance to anyone who has a chance to take a look!

Thanks

J

I-94 can be printed the next day. I suggest to get SS# before getting married and before changing your name if that is the case. Sorry couldn't tell who the beneficiary is. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Thanks Alabamk - As a part of the form I-765, we will be applying for a SS number for my fiancee/soon to be wife. 

Is there a benefit to doing this before/separately? 

From a name change standpoint, we determined it best to leave our names exactly as is - just makes things easier. 

4 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

I-94 can be printed the next day. I suggest to get SS# before getting married and before changing your name if that is the case. Sorry couldn't tell who the beneficiary is. 

Thanks Alabamk - As a part of the form I-765, we will be applying for a SS number for my fiancee/soon to be wife. 

From a name change standpoint, we determined it best to leave our names exactly as is - just makes things easier. 

Hi, here are answers to your questions (in bold) based on my experience. I applied for AOS along with EAD and Advanced Parole in November. Received my EAD/AP card in the mail yesterday and my social today. I didn't realise that I could apply for SSN when I first arrived on the K1, so I applied for it with AOS. I regret not applying for my SSN when I arrived as I haven't able to open a bank account, get a driving licence or be put on my wife's health insurance without it. You can apply for a SSN up to 14 days (I believe) before your K1 visa expires and I would strongly urge you to do this, especially as the waiting times for EAD/AP from filing AOS is currently around 5-7 months, and  the SSN is only issued when they are approved.

Questions

On I-485

• Part 1, Q15-21 – to confirm this information for K1 holders would be the time they entered the US on the K1 visa (i.e. the last time they arrived) Yes
    • For 19. does the packet include a nonimmigrant visa number?  The nonimmigrant visa number is written on the visa in the K1 holders passport and should be entered here
  • Part 1, Q22 – to confirm you would select 22.a. for K1 individuals – I’ve written “K Visa Holder” Yes, select 22.a. I wrote 'NONIMMIGRANT FIANCE VISA HOLDER' in the box
  • Part 1, Q23a-c. – assuming this information is pulled from online after K1 holder has entered country Yes
  • Part 1, Q24. – as we have gone from engaged to married, I’ve put “K1 visa holder, now married” to reflect the current immigrant status – since I am assuming it has changed since her arrival on the K1? I left this blank based on what I had read, as I don't believe the status has changed, even though you are now married
  • Part 2, Q3-4 – assumption here is that I will need to pull the information from the K1’s visa holder packet after she is in the country I left blank based on what I had read. I don't think you need to fill it in as there is no underlying petition
  • Part 3, Q1 – assumption here is that you would select no for a K1 visa holder (as their application for a K1 visa was not a permanent resident application) Correct, select 'No'
  • Part 5, Q10 – As a USA citizen, I would assume that I would select “No” here as I as the spouse am not applying (just my fiancée/now wife) Correct, select 'No'

On I-765

• Q18 – I’ve written “K1 visa holder” – confirm accurate? Yes (I put 'K1 visa)
  • Q19. – I’ve written in “K1 visa married applying for AOS and EAD” should I be putting something different here? I just put 'K1'
Edited by FlashLG
typo correction

Also, from your list it doesn't look like you are applying for Advanced Parole. I would suggest doing this anyway, even if your fiance isn't planning on travelling back to the UK any time soon. You never know in the future between submitting AOS and receiving the Green Card if the need might arise to urgently travel back to the UK, as this can be a long time (a year or more). It's better to have the option to do be able to do so and not need it, than to not have the option and need to travel, especially as the consequences of traveling outside the US without AP and before GC can be severe. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, WOG said:

Some SSA don't allow till you get your EAD if you changed your name after marriage. In your case that shouldn't matter since she wont change her name. We decided not to change her name and still applied for SS# before we send our AOS out.

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

10 minutes ago, FlashLG said:

Also, from your list it doesn't look like you are applying for Advanced Parole. I would suggest doing this anyway, even if your fiance isn't planning on travelling back to the UK any time soon. You never know in the future between submitting AOS and receiving the Green Card if the need might arise to urgently travel back to the UK, as this can be a long time (a year or more). It's better to have the option to do be able to do so and not need it, than to not have the option and need to travel, especially as the consequences of traveling outside the US without AP and before GC can be severe. 

This make sense - thank you so much - wasn't thinking of it this way. 

9 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

Some SSA don't allow till you get your EAD if you changed your name after marriage. In your case that shouldn't matter since she wont change her name. We decided not to change her name and still applied for SS# before we send our AOS out.

So can i apply for the SS now? Arrival in the US is on the 18th of June, Wedding on the 22nd? It appears you would not be able to as need to be in the country (only other option looks like through I-765 form)

Additionally - on the I-765 form, if applying separately, I'm assuming you would mark 10 as No? (and then accordingly skip question 11-13)?

I'm assuming the SSA would come quickly and benefits would include the items mentioned above - healthcare, bank accounts, etc?

Thank you both for the input and thoughts - incredibly valuable!!!

Timeline
44 minutes ago, WOG said:

This make sense - thank you so much - wasn't thinking of it this way. 

So can i apply for the SS now? Arrival in the US is on the 18th of June, Wedding on the 22nd? It appears you would not be able to as need to be in the country (only other option looks like through I-765 form)

Additionally - on the I-765 form, if applying separately, I'm assuming you would mark 10 as No? (and then accordingly skip question 11-13)?

I'm assuming the SSA would come quickly and benefits would include the items mentioned above - healthcare, bank accounts, etc?

Thank you both for the input and thoughts - incredibly valuable!!!

yes, under the k-1 rules, you can apply as soon after you do POE. You need I-94, birthcertificate and passport with k-1 visa. Translation if not in english. You could get manual verification, which is done electronically, but it will take couple of weeks to get SS#

Edited by Alabamak1

Just to pop in with 3 points since everyone else has given great answers:

1.  If you do apply for the SSN, which I would also highly recommend, there is a spot on the I-485 to include the Social Security number of the petitioner.  You will need to wait for the Social Security card to arrive in the mail to know the number to include on the form and it will take a couple of weeks to arrive.  I don't think there will be an issue if you don't fill this in but just something to keep in mind.

2.  I know it sounds crazy but some members of these forums have received an RFIE/RFE for a translated copy of a UK birth certificate even though it is already in English.  I don't understand why it happens to some people and not others but if you want to avoid this potential delay/hiccup you might want to include a certified translation copy.

3.  Make sure to include any additional evidence that you might have to show proof of marriage/living together.  If you are leasing and can get your partner added to the lease before submitting AOS, include a copy of that.  Also some updated photos/photo of wedding day/etc.  You'll have the option to add additional paperwork at the time of your interview (joint bank account, additional photos, joint utility bills, proof of being on each other's insurance, 401k/life insurance beneficiary information, etc.) so make sure you start to get/save/collect that in the months between submission and interview.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

02/27/17 - I-129F sent; 03/10/17 - NOA1 hard copy received; 06/15/17 - NOA2 hard copy received; 07/16/17 - NVC processing completed; 08/24/17 - Interview (Approved); 09/04/17 - Visa in Hand; 10/26/17 - POE; 12/20/17 - Marriage

AOS Condensed Timeline:

02/06/18 - I-485 sent; 02/20/18 - NOA1 hard copy received; 03/09/18 - Biometrics Completed; 04/21/18 - Interview Appointment Letter Received; 05/14/18 - Interview; 06/08/18 - Approved/Card in Production; 06/16/18 - GC Received

RoC Condensed Timeline:

3/10/20 - I-751 sent; 3/20/20 - NOA received - LIN; 3/10/21 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Reused; 4/05/21 - New Card is Being Produced

N400

03/25/21 - Application filed online; 01/15/22 - Interview Scheduled Notification;  02/22/22 - Interview; 02/22/22 - Interview Passed and Same Day Oath Ceremony.  DONE!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.