TabeaK

New extension letters to be valid 18 months

34 posts in this topic

https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/update-form-i-797-receipt-notices-form-i-751-and-form-i-829

The way I read this:

- new filers will start getting 18 months extension letters from the get-go.

- Currently pending filers will get new extension letters.

Not sure what to think about this - on one hand it is good that USCIS tries to ease the burden of getting infopasses, stamps etc; on the other hand it clearly shows they are not focused on getting the I-751 processing time frames down to a reasonable level (which would be 6 months or less in my book).

Will also be interesting how long it'll take for the wider community (CBP, airlines, state agencies etc) to clue about new 18 months extension letters...

It's about time!!!! Great news for those of us who have to file for Removal of Conditions next year.......but it would so much better if they just sped up the process....

It is their passive aggressive method of encouraging people to apply for citizenship as soon as they're eligible (so more fees for USCIS, woo hoo!). Just kidding- I think...

lol.

So I will receive another (third!) extension letter for my oct 2017 filing, even though it will still be useless as my card expired over two years ago now. More stamps for me- yay.

Farcial. USCIS on fine form as usual. 

23 minutes ago, mindthegap said:

lol.

So I will receive another (third!) extension letter for my oct 2017 filing, even though it will still be useless as my card expired over two years ago now. More stamps for me- yay.

Indeed, another waste of paper and ink. LMAO!!!!

51 minutes ago, mindthegap said:

lol.

Serious question - does anybody know what's actually wrong with them? Even government workers can't be this feckless, disorganized, and stupid, can they? Also, they have discretion to raise fees to deal with short-staffing issues, it's not like they are dependent on congressional budgets...

40 minutes ago, Jameson78 said:

Serious question - does anybody know what's actually wrong with them? Even government workers can't be this feckless, disorganized, and stupid, can they? Also, they have discretion to raise fees to deal with short-staffing issues, it's not like they are dependent on congressional budgets...

To be fair, that individual's case is outside the norm. They've had a long and rough ride. :(

It's probably more efficient to just issue everybody a new letter than handle the exceptions to the rule. A few extra (worthless) letters is cheaper than paying people to create a few extra query statements and have the testing teams test different use cases.

Fee changes take quite a bit of time since it has to go through various committees, go through a mandatory period of public comment + review of those comments, provide documented evidence of the need for the change + budget projections, and then have it posted in the Federal Register. Existing laws also set various rules as to when and how they can make fee adjustments.

1 hour ago, mindthegap said:

lol.

Im a november filer, looks like that's what's happening. I think this is good news in a new, at least they won't be as busy with infopasses and giving stamps to thousands of people and they can focus on our cases

51 minutes ago, Jameson78 said:

I don't think they are that bad. This country probably receives the biggest number of immigrants and the department isn't there to handle ROC only. There are the dreamers issue going on, etc etc. They're busy.

Since CSC is freaking backlogged and take forever to process I-751. They should give 2-year extension letter. This wouldn't be the best possible solution either. They need to speed up the process of the cases by increasing their manpower. 

1 minute ago, Name O Boy said:

Since CSC is freaking backlogged and take forever to process I-751. They should give 2-year extension letter. This wouldn't be the best possible solution either. They need to speed up the process of the cases by increasing their manpower. 

true, but let's hope the wait for anyone is gonna go over two years.

also portland filer here, cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.