AngelieBalidbid

HOW WE MET - K1 VISA PACKET

23 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Fadae said:

I personally sent 34 photos (22 in proof of ongoing relationship and 12 for proof of having met in the past two years). Each photo was written on the back with the date, where it was taken, and a description of what we were doing and who we were with. My fiance and I decided to go with "the more the better" mindset since he is from North Africa and they tend to scrutinize that area more. 

That sounds about what I printed out in terms of conversations and then I also included call logs for a couple months. 

When I made my packet, I made a cover letter but also made mini table of contents for both the "Proof of Ongoing Relationship" and "Proof of having met for the past two years, it helped organize my photos and many conversations. 

What kind of pictures you sent for proof of your ongoing relationship? We just have call logs, messenger chats, video chats, social media posts and screenshots of convo with both of our families.

For the proof of met for 2 years, we just have boarding passes, visa stamps, hotel, amusement and restaurant receipts, airbnb itinerary and review, Delta itinerary, engagement receipt, her mom and dad affidavit of witness letter.

Are we good or do we miss something? We are both nervous and wanna make sure everything are submitted. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
28 minutes ago, AngelieBalidbid said:

nahh, because many people said that they received RFE by not including "Our love story". I personally don't want anymore of that but im scared that we may receive RFE because of it in the future so we just wanna make sure we're good to go! 

I challenge you to find a single RFE for a love story

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
1 minute ago, AngelieBalidbid said:

What kind of pictures you sent for proof of your ongoing relationship? We just have call logs, messenger chats, video chats, social media posts and screenshots of convo with both of our families.

For the proof of met for 2 years, we just have boarding passes, visa stamps, hotel, amusement and restaurant receipts, airbnb itinerary and review, Delta itinerary, engagement receipt, her mom and dad affidavit of witness letter.

Are we good or do we miss something? We are both nervous and wanna make sure everything are submitted. Thanks!

Sounds good to me, I had a lot of those things too. I know it's nerve-racking, my fiance has his interview next week. *fingers crossed* We worried about the smallest things but in the end, we did tons of reading about it and a lot of people get approved with a lot less evidence. 

My pictures for ongoing relationship were from when we first met, like my fiance visiting the zoo, going to my dad's birthday dinner, going to the beach, ect. Ours might be a little different in terms of evidence because we met while we were both going to school in the US (he was on a student visa).  Then I also sent some pictures of our engagement in Tunisia(proof of meeting in past two years).  Like I said, we went with the more the better, since we really didn't want to get a request for more evidence. 

2 minutes ago, Fadae said:

Sounds good to me, I had a lot of those things too. I know it's nerve-racking, my fiance has his interview next week. *fingers crossed* We worried about the smallest things but in the end, we did tons of reading about it and a lot of people get approved with a lot less evidence. 

My pictures for ongoing relationship were from when we first met, like my fiance visiting the zoo, going to my dad's birthday dinner, going to the beach, ect. Ours might be a little different in terms of evidence because we met while we were both going to school in the US (he was on a student visa).  Then I also sent some pictures of our engagement in Tunisia(proof of meeting in past two years).  Like I said, we went with the more the better, since we really didn't want to get a request for more evidence. 

Yeahh I know! We also trying our best to avoid RFE for more evidence. Anyway, thanks for your good advice and I wish the best for the both of you! Praying for your approval *finger crossed*😊. Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, AngelieBalidbid said:

Yeahh I know! We also trying our best to avoid RFE for more evidence. Anyway, thanks for your good advice and I wish the best for the both of you! Praying for your approval *finger crossed*😊. Thanks!

Awe! Thank you so much. <3 Praying for you guys too! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Don't take this the wrong way, but the officer(s) don't care about your love story. They probably don't care to have pages to read unnecessarily.

People receive RFEs for not providing enough required details or evidence. They want you to prove you've met in the last 2 years. Stick to that. When answering how you met, or the times you met in person, just give facts. You don't necessarily HAVE to use the extra space, or provide other pages.

That being said - I don't think anyone's ever been denied or received a RFE because they did provide extra info, so I suppose that's just totally up to you.

When filling out our K1 application, we just gave dates and locations of the times we met/were together in the last 2 years. When asked how we met - "online". No other details. And we were approved and my husband is here now when no issues. We also gave sufficient evidence to support our dates/locations, such as boarding passes, photos, etc. The evidence is what I think they care the most about, because words on a piece of paper don't hold much water, as far as this process goes.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, AngelieBalidbid said:

They don't need all that. They want evidence. All those things prove is that you took some trips, ate at a restaurant, bought a ring, etc. It doesn't prove you were together.

They don't want loads of irrelevant stuff. One photo from each time you were together is fine, photocopies of your passport pages and a letter giving the dates you were together and the parents affadavit. 

You're over thinking it. Keep it concise and to the point. Evidence and proof are what USCIS want. 

As for RFE, that is out of your control. They lost our evidence and we had to send it all in again. It's added an extra month to our process but that's the way it is. It is out of your control and you have to sit tight and ride it out. 

The other stuff you can take to the interview if you want. At this stage they are doing security checks (you are who you say you are, aren't a criminal or terrorist), and whether you meet the criteria for the visa you are applying for - for the K1 that's if you are free to marry, one of you is a US citizen, you have the income to support a spouse, and that you have met within the past 2 years (except under certain circumstances). They don't want to be bogged down with looking at extra paperwork, they're not interested in your love story. It's business for them and you'll make their job easier by not sending in unnecessary, superfluous "evidence" that isn't required. 

Edited by fip & jim

As others have said here, keep it simple. Give them what they ask for. They don't ask for a love story. Its irrelevant to them.

At the 129F stage, they are only interested in your proof that you've physically met with each other within the last 2 years. I provided each item of evidence (eg photo together, boarding passes, passport stamps, etc) on a number sheet of paper. I think wrote an itemized list of these. Eg

1) Photo of us together at XYZ attraction in Asheville, North Carolina on (date).
2) Booking, boarding pass, and passport stamp from trip dated XXX

etc.

Clearly the more proof you provide the better.  We were lucky that we had several trips to see each other before applying for k1 (and our first meeting was in a bar during my fiancee's business trip to UK, within the 2 years) so had plenty of documentation. But don't fill your packet with things that don't prove anything. Lots of chat logs don't prove you've met in the past 2 years, and that is what you need to prove to them at this point.

I'd guess that the best way to get approved is to give the official inspecting your packet what they want, without hiding it in lots of irrelevant information. I know at my interview for K1 they told me before the interview that they'd ask for various documents during the interview, and I should only hand them what they asked for. I imagine its very irritating when you are looking for a specific document or proof, and people keep handing you irrelevant things you didn't ask for.

I'm currently awaiting ROC and I took the same approach when providing documentation to prove we've lived together as a couple since our wedding. They aren't interested in a letter explaining how we've lived our life since we were married, they are interested in seeing house ownership documents, insurance policies, bank statements, photos and evidence of vacations together etc.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.