HMC

SSN Status

1 post in this topic

Hello there

It's my first post and unfortunately I come in search of answers

I wish I had come across some of this information before I applied for my SSN. Thanks all for the valuable information

POE was 22nd May on an E-3 visa. I managed to get the I-94 straight away and printed out a copy and presented that with my passport at the local SSA office to apply via the SS-5 form. There I was advised that there may be a 4-6 week waiting period as I hadn't appeared on the SAVE system yet and required verification at the DHS (I regret not reading up and waiting the 10 days). I found the SAVE case check and was able to track my case from the point of application (case being reviewed) up to the point of status change (case has been returned to agency- Maryland- Singlesignon) on the 30th of May. 

I know it's only been 3 weeks yet but no one at the local SSA is able to give me any information about status apart from "it's pending verification". Also someone told me on the phone today it's the main branch in Maryland that gets the request back from the DHS and I was supposed to start work last month so it's making me a bit stressed as I need to apply for another license (only possible with the SSN) prior to being able to work and that may also take time.

Does the SSA still reply to emails regarding SSN application status as I know there was a customer help web form people were able to use last time?

Second of all, is there anything I can possibly do to try to expedite the process? Can I present at the SSA branch and ask for them to try the i-94 search on SAVE again? Have people ever tried retracting an application at this point should they be found on the SAVE database at this stage?

Thanks all for taking the time to read and any suggestions!

PS. sorry I just checked the forum headings and this may be in the wrong section...

Edited by HMC
added footnote

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.