RainbowDucks

i-130 for Step child (11) alone - Affidavit of support and general process and fees

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Have not had any luck finding information regarding this.  We are looking to bring my daughter to the USA (currently living in Australia with her dad) and my husband (US citizen) will petition her.    I've been here 6 years already so follow to join is not an option.

I am trying to find out if at any point during the process my young daughter is given the affidavit of support and my husbands last 3 years taxation information?  Is she required to have this herself to take to the consulate interview?  Do they give it to her as included in her package she has to give at the POE when she arrives in the USA?  And is the package for POE in the USA sealed?

I can't seem to find a step by step guide that is for young children, only spouses. 

I'm also confused on the Adjustment of status and the Immigration visa and when that's done and the fees etc.  There's a lot of conflicting information out there.  :(

Anyone been through this recently with a step child doing the i-130 alone?  Any help on this or the process in general would be really helpful.

Thanks.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, khals and greg said:

Have not had any luck finding information regarding this.  We are looking to bring my daughter to the USA (currently living in Australia with her dad) and my husband (US citizen) will petition her.    I've been here 6 years already so follow to join is not an option.

I am trying to find out if at any point during the process my young daughter is given the affidavit of support and my husbands last 3 years taxation information?  Is she required to have this herself to take to the consulate interview?  Do they give it to her as included in her package she has to give at the POE when she arrives in the USA?  And is the package for POE in the USA sealed?

I can't seem to find a step by step guide that is for young children, only spouses. 

I'm also confused on the Adjustment of status and the Immigration visa and when that's done and the fees etc.  There's a lot of conflicting information out there.  :(

Anyone been through this recently with a step child doing the i-130 alone?  Any help on this or the process in general would be really helpful.

Thanks.  

Process is actually for immediate relative so it is exactly the same

affidavit is submitted through nvc

it will be an ir visa so no adjustment of status, immediate green card on arrival

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

Thank you guys, that helps clear some of that up.  Our concern with Affidavit of Support was other family members that are helping her with her interview or living in the same residence etc would be able to view those personal financial records should she be given them to carry.    Does anyone know whether or not the consulate would give copies of that information to my daughter during the process?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

ditto

same process as yours,  if you were married before she was 18. your husband files for her the i130

she will need her dad's permission to leave the country

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, khals and greg said:

Thank you guys, that helps clear some of that up.  Our concern with Affidavit of Support was other family members that are helping her with her interview or living in the same residence etc would be able to view those personal financial records should she be given them to carry.    Does anyone know whether or not the consulate would give copies of that information to my daughter during the process?

Nope.  It remains in the sealed file

YMMV

Timeline

@Dee elle , ok, yeah that's what we were concerned about.  I was hoping they would not require her to carry a copy if she were a minor applying alone.  Thanks for clarification.

Do you know if she needs to leave those copies with the consulate at her interview?  Or does she just have to have them to show and then take them back home with her?

Edited by khals and greg

Timeline

@Dee elle , I can't be there no.  I won't be able to get over there for the interview.  Not sure about someone else being there as current relatives would have to agree to someone else taking her.  It's a good point though and I can try that way.  

~~moved to bringing family of USC to the USA from IR1/CR1 process and procedures~~

So the child will have the ORIGINAL documents with her and the NVC will have photocopies.  She will need to get the originals back after they're looked at.  She will need to be responsible enough to do this.  Someone will also have to take her to and from the interview, I am assuming her father since you are not able to be there?

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Normally only a USC would be able to go, so I hope that your ex will be able to enter since he won't have an interview and isn't a USC. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Do they allow minors to enter by themselves? 

Doubtful, but not sure if the USC or LPR parent has to be the one to accompany the child either.  This would be a question for the embassy or consulate. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.