Todd L F

Where to marry?

29 posts in this topic

A passport and your visa can be used in lieu of an SSN, in general you should be able to speak to the clerk about it (yes some may not be up on things, be not polite, or simply aren't aware, or perhaps are not deserving of your business  :devil:). And it could be different on a county by county level. Surely the state of SC has heard of 'destination' weddings before. I'd imagine Myrtle Beach would be popular for Oceanside weddings....

But K1's are eligible for an SSN asap, which I'd recommend doing before marriage anyway.

This is from the Charleston, SC probate court marriage division: says not much about SSNs (and mentions what to do if you don't have one) https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/probate/marriage-license.php

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Call around and make absokut sure that a SSN is really a requirement. I have heard this statement before, "can't marry because we need an SSN", which proved to be wrong in the end. Most places require the SSN if the person already has one, not to those who never had one.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

That is not a restriction. Anyone can marry as long as they have proof of ID. You don’t need a SSN to get married. I do suggest you get an SSN as soon as you arrive just because you will need an SSN for basically everything including health insurance and if you wait for USCIS to issue you one you’ll be waiting a really long time. You’re eligible for an SSN as soon as you are admitted into the country and you can apply for one as early as the same day you arrive. 

5 hours ago, Todd L F said:

Hello all,

I am near the end of this daunting process and planning on traveling to the states next month after my interview which is in 2 weeks. Me and my fiancé are expecting a baby in late September so this basically put our big wedding plans aside so we agreed to just do something small at a reception so we are legally married and to have a large wedding a few years down the road. Now my problem is this, we will be living in South Carolina and it seems the laws there about marrying foreign nationals are very strict. They need social security number of both participants and of course I will not have this just yet. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or know of a state close to SC where we can marry. Not had much luck with researching online beleive it or not. 

Thank you! 

You can get your social security card in Franklin NC. They are easy to work with. Ask for Chris. Very nice, helpful, and professional. Good luck!  

1 hour ago, TNJ17 said:

That is not a restriction. Anyone can marry as long as they have proof of ID. You don’t need a SSN to get married. I do suggest you get an SSN as soon as you arrive just because you will need an SSN for basically everything including health insurance and if you wait for USCIS to issue you one you’ll be waiting a really long time. You’re eligible for an SSN as soon as you are admitted into the country and you can apply for one as early as the same day you arrive. 

SSN isn't required for health insurance. Companies try to enforce that, but it's not a law. It's HR not knowing how to handle people not having them. 

8 hours ago, Todd L F said:

Hello all,

I am near the end of this daunting process and planning on traveling to the states next month after my interview which is in 2 weeks. Me and my fiancé are expecting a baby in late September so this basically put our big wedding plans aside so we agreed to just do something small at a reception so we are legally married and to have a large wedding a few years down the road. Now my problem is this, we will be living in South Carolina and it seems the laws there about marrying foreign nationals are very strict. They need social security number of both participants and of course I will not have this just yet. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or know of a state close to SC where we can marry. Not had much luck with researching online beleive it or not. 

Thank you! 

Per Charleston SC, I assume they are a big city there: No SSN needed

https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/probate/marriage-license.php

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

Per Charleston SC, I assume they are a big city there: No SSN needed

https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/probate/marriage-license.php

Interesting as I will actually be living in Charleston , I’ve heard they don’t accept foreign weddings. Thank you 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
12 hours ago, Todd L F said:

Hello all,

Thank you! 

NC! I've been married twice here, both did not have SSNs at the time. They were told to fill in with all zeroes and show their passport. Married in Greensboro. Fairly sure you could make a border run to up to Charlotte and get the same results

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

3 hours ago, Todd L F said:

Interesting as I will actually be living in Charleston , I’ve heard they don’t accept foreign weddings. Thank you 

Where did you hear they will not accept 'foreign weddings'? Tbh this would be very illegal and very much cause them to be sued. No doubt you can find bigots and all sorts, but if you should ever encounter one, they are not worthy of your business.

The only other thing I can find is that the State requires both parties are lawfully present (which the government grants you with your visa). Marriage is in the domain of the state, so unless there is a state law specifically prohibiting a foreign national, it all comes down to county by county. And if one county won't serve you for some reason, there will be plenty of others. Looking at the State Law marriage code? There's nothing that says that foreign nationals cannot marry (kind of implies any county that would deny  is spitting state law), only that they should be lawfully present and produce a number proving that, should they not have an SSN. You will be lawfully present, as you have a K1 visa in your passport giving you legally issued identification and an A# number.

Whether you choose to provide an SSN to them or not will be up to you.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Where did you hear they will not accept 'foreign weddings'? Tbh this would be very illegal and very much cause them to be sued. No doubt you can find bigots and all sorts, but if you should ever encounter one, they are not worthy of your business.

The only other thing I can find is that the State requires both parties are lawfully present (which the government grants you with your visa). Marriage is in the domain of the state, so unless there is a state law specifically prohibiting a foreign national, it all comes down to county by county. And if one county won't serve you for some reason, there will be plenty of others. Looking at the State Law marriage code? There's nothing that says that foreign nationals cannot marry (kind of implies any county that would deny  is spitting state law), only that they should be lawfully present and produce a number proving that, should they not have an SSN. You will be lawfully present, as you have a K1 visa in your passport giving you legally issued identification and an A# number.

Whether you choose to provide an SSN to them or not will be up to you.

Yeah Ive just been reading the code too, so looks like we can actually get married here. I was told that we couldn’t by someone else, so I guess I’ll have to do more research before trusting others advise lol. Just curious, where will I find my A# and when will I get it?

Thank you to everyone for your help on this matter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Requiring SSN for marriage is a myth. A lot of people seem to think they do. They ask if you have it and if you do you write the number down but if you don’t have it you don’t. Lots of foreign tourists get married in all states of the United States every day and tourists aren’t eligible for SSN. You just say you don’t have it because you’re not a resident. That’s it. End of story. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 hours ago, Todd L F said:

Yeah Ive just been reading the code too, so looks like we can actually get married here. I was told that we couldn’t by someone else, so I guess I’ll have to do more research before trusting others advise lol. Just curious, where will I find my A# and when will I get it?

Thank you to everyone for your help on this matter.

A# should be on your first NOA you will get after filing the i485. I don't recall exactly where, but it is roundabouts the upper, left part of the notice along with name/DOB/receipt number. It is probably on your k1 NOA2 if you kept that, it also may be already written on your i94 from POE, but that isn't always done.

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

17 hours ago, Todd L F said:

Just curious, where will I find my A# and when will I get it?

Should be on the visa in your passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.