Umka36

Immigrant doctors in rural America are sick of waiting for green cards

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Personally, they need to make an exception for doctors/medical profession under the H-1B visa especially when they working at an underserved community. I don't equate them to IT workers.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/08/news/economy/immigrant-doctors-green-card-backlog/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fmoney_latest+(CNNMoney%3A+Latest+News)

13 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

Personally, they need to make an exception for doctors/medical profession under the H-1B visa especially when they working at an underserved community. I don't equate them to IT workers.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/08/news/economy/immigrant-doctors-green-card-backlog/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fmoney_latest+(CNNMoney%3A+Latest+News)

I am sick of waiting on my wife's citizenship.  Does the wIt prevent them from doctoring 

37 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

I'm sure you wife isn't going to waiting over a decade or more for her Citizenship. The US has a shortage of medical doctors, it's a win-win for both sides.

It's not a win win for the poor countries that we take the best and brightest from

1 hour ago, Umka36 said:

I think there is; EB-2 with a national interest waiver. Used to be a relatively quick process that didn't require labor certification. 

I think what is at issue here is what would actually qualify as an underserved area.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I can't cite details or links, but rural areas in the U.S. have desperately been trying to attract doctors for a long time.

I dimly remember arrangements whereunder rural communities would allocate funds to pay something (part of medical-school debt?) if newly minted doctors would commit to practice there for one or two years.  Wish I could recall the details.

When one compares the medical/dental resources of the big Texas cities with the part-time clinics available in the Big Bend area, for example, the difference is stark.  If I were granted several wishes, one would be for a full-service, fully staffed hospital to be established in Marfa or Presidio or any other town in that region.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have had this discussion with friends and family over the years.

I went to dental school in KY, a state with a LOT of rural underserved areas.  The "answer" to solve this problem was to create more dentist to provide in these areas.  Kentucky has two dental schools that graduate nearly 200 new dentist each year.  A lot for a state with a relatively small population.  There continues to be a problem with underserved areas.

There is a reason those areas are underserved.  THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MONEY THERE.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
19 hours ago, Neonred said:

There is a reason those areas are underserved.  THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MONEY THERE.

This is the reality, sad though it be.

Dentists & doctors deserve to make a decent living after all their training & expenses (school debt).

Rural work probably means 'round-the-clock pestering and perhaps long travels for urgent house-calls.

It takes a special professional commitment, and certainly an understanding family.

Several rural residents have told me that their life there is OK, as long as they're within range of a bigger city.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Dentists & doctors deserve to make a decent living after all their training & expenses (school debt).

Rural work probably means 'round-the-clock pestering and perhaps long travels for urgent house-calls.

It takes a special professional commitment, and certainly an understanding family.

Several rural residents have told me that their life there is OK, as long as they're within range of a bigger city.

My daughter went to dental school at U. of Louisville and graduated 6 year ago.  Her mother and I paid $260,000+ just for tuition.  It is more now.  She borrowed money for living expenses.  She married at the end of school (another dentist) and he had military obligation because the army paid for his dental eduction.  Stationed at Ft. Campbell.  My daughter worked public health in Clarksville TN during his 4 year commitment.  The government repaid $50,000 of her student loans. 

I never thought of Clarksville as a rural underserved area but it qualified.  At first she worked in Springfield TN, a more rural and underserved area but it did not qualify for loan repayment.  Apparently it is just a few miles too close to Nashville.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

In this rural town, we have plenty of doctors.. most of them not very qualified, some very scammy (some recently arrested), and pill mills. If you want a good doctor most of us travel either to Baltimore, out of state, or at least two counties away to get care. The hospital here is a death trap. My dentist (in town) has always made a killing though, and just recently expanded. He's the most redneck asian immigrant you could want. :P He does have some competition.. one of those corporate dental chains moved in but I never see many cars there.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I don't know what other countries have it but in Turkey they have mandatory working requirements for doctors and dentists right after they finish school. I believe it is for 1.5-2 years. They usually send them to eastern part of the country where they have difficulty attracting talent. Maybe US could do a similar thing, the gov't either at state or federal level could waive some part of student loan if they decide to work in these communities for a while. They already do this for nursing, it is called NURSE Corps loan repayment program. https://bhw.hrsa.gov/loansscholarships/nursecorps/lrp

Filed: Timeline
20 hours ago, charmander said:

I don't know what other countries have it but in Turkey they have mandatory working requirements for doctors and dentists right after they finish school. I believe it is for 1.5-2 years. They usually send them to eastern part of the country where they have difficulty attracting talent. Maybe US could do a similar thing, the gov't either at state or federal level could waive some part of student loan if they decide to work in these communities for a while. They already do this for nursing, it is called NURSE Corps loan repayment program. https://bhw.hrsa.gov/loansscholarships/nursecorps/lrp

Worked for a few doctors/PA back in the days who went through the military path to pay for medical school.

2 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

He brought a dialysis unit to his rural town ... good deed? or wildly profitable?

Probably both in all actuality.