Mina90

ICE To Send 1600 Detainees To Federal Prisons

25 posts in this topic

"U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement says it has acquired new space in federal prisons to house immigrant detainees — more than 1,600 beds."

"A facility in Victorville, Calif., will house the most detainees — 1,000 — while locations in Seattle; La Tuna, Texas; Sheridan, Ore.; and Phoenix will hold between 102 and 230 detainees."

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/08/618182740/ice-to-send-1-600-detainees-to-federal-prisons

Wow.  I haven't followed the news in a while but I keep hearing bits/pieces of this. Seems like they are really enforcing this and really cracking down those trying to get across illegally. 

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Mina90
Can't spell today

1 minute ago, IDWAF said:

Great news, minus the part where we have to pay for their stay with our tax dollars.  Hopefully the incarcerations will be short while they are deported quickly.

The article says it's meant to be temporary until they can obtain a long-term detention facilities. :unsure:

It also says there's been 52,000 arrests in the first quarter of this year, which is a sharp increase since last year. They are really putting the "zero-tolerance" policy in effect.

1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

Great news, minus the part where we have to pay for their stay with our tax dollars.  Hopefully the incarcerations will be short while they are deported quickly.

Why not just send them back where they came from. Put one of those Snake Pliskin things in them 

3 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Crime don't pay 

Of course. We should create harsh punishment for the children of people who break laws. Teach those children a lesson before they are old enough to make the decision for themselves. They should have had a maturity level beyond their age and became emancipated minors prior to their parents bringing them here. What they were only 6? They're never too young.

Edited by bcking

38 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

This happens to US children as well. Yet we don't hear much about it.

exactly. I dont see all the cry me a river, for the children of criminals that go to jail here. Happens every day 

1 minute ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

exactly. I dont see all the cry me a river, for the children of criminals that go to jail here. Happens every day 

I agree.

I think we should be turn our focus towards all the LEGAL people in our country rather than worry so much of the consequences for those who choose illegal routes. 

We can't really help those people who choose not to help themselves, right? Nor can we help those or their families that choose the wrong way to do things.

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Mina90 said:

The article says it's meant to be temporary until they can obtain a long-term detention facilities. :unsure:

It also says there's been 52,000 arrests in the first quarter of this year, which is a sharp increase since last year. They are really putting the "zero-tolerance" policy in effect.

Bear in mind that though there appears to be a rise in arrests, the numbers are actually way down because of the change in language under Obama.  Starting in 2012, it became the norm to NOT go after illegals unless they were engaged in illegal activity.  So if an illegal was arrested for a minor infraction, the police were not allowed to contact ICE.  

ICE removals overall are actually down this year, but ICE interior removals (not a border catch) are up.  I posted about this several months ago, but there was so much to hate about the fat orange Nixon that it wasn’t important.

Some simple numbers and charts might explain it better:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/dec/19/have-deportations-increased-under-donald-trump-her/

3 hours ago, Mina90 said:

I agree.

I think we should be turn our focus towards all the LEGAL people in our country rather than worry so much of the consequences for those who choose illegal routes. 

We can't really help those people who choose not to help themselves, right? Nor can we help those or their families that choose the wrong way to do things.

Agreed. I think we need have a zero tolerance policy for illegal aliens but at the same time we need to streamline the process for people doing things the legal way. Having gone through the immigration process with my wife and step son I see a lot of room for improvement and streamlining in the process.

As I said I would like to see a zero tolerance policy for illegal aliens. We need a system that provides zero incentive for someone to come here illegally and punishment for repeat offenders. No government assistance whatsoever at the federal, state or local level and any politician at any level violating that in any way is charged with a felony and goes to prison. Anyone who employs or aids an illegal alien in any way financially gets charged with a felony and goes to prison. The first time you come here illegally you simply get deported with a warning to not come back or there will be consequences. The second time you get 6 months in prison then your deported. Any subsequent offense would be double the prison time of the previous offense then deportation. That coupled with a streamlined legal process open to anyone who can prove they are financially self sufficient or have means to become financially self sufficient (education, ect.), don't have a criminal record and don't pose a health risk to anyone would solve at least 90% of our illegal immigration problem.

I think our legal immigration system needs a major overhaul. Things take longer than they have to, it's expensive, redundant and inefficient. A lot of the paperwork could be converted into an online form that could at least in part be processed by computers. That would make things faster and maybe less expensive. With my wife and step son we had to deal with multiple government agencies which all essentially asked for the same information. If they could share the information between agencies more efficiently or better yet have one agency that does everything that would speed things up. I'm sure other things could be done but you guys get the idea. Basically make it easy for people that won't be a drain on our society to come here legally and make illegal immigration so prohibitive it won't be practical for most people.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

2 hours ago, IDWAF said:

Bear in mind that though there appears to be a rise in arrests, the numbers are actually way down because of the change in language under Obama.  Starting in 2012, it became the norm to NOT go after illegals unless they were engaged in illegal activity.  So if an illegal was arrested for a minor infraction, the police were not allowed to contact ICE.  

ICE removals overall are actually down this year, but ICE interior removals (not a border catch) are up.  I posted about this several months ago, but there was so much to hate about the fat orange Nixon that it wasn’t important.

Some simple numbers and charts might explain it better:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/dec/19/have-deportations-increased-under-donald-trump-her/

Oh, wow. I did not know that. Thought-provoking, really. LOL at your description of Trump. I understand people have differing opinions on the president, but shouldn't let that dictate their judgement on the important things.

3 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

Agreed. I think we need have a zero tolerance policy for illegal aliens but at the same time we need to streamline the process for people doing things the legal way. Having gone through the immigration process with my wife and step son I see a lot of room for improvement and streamlining in the process.

As I said I would like to see a zero tolerance policy for illegal aliens. We need a system that provides zero incentive for someone to come here illegally and punishment for repeat offenders. No government assistance whatsoever at the federal, state or local level and any politician at any level violating that in any way is charged with a felony and goes to prison. Anyone who employs or aids an illegal alien in any way financially gets charged with a felony and goes to prison. The first time you come here illegally you simply get deported with a warning to not come back or there will be consequences. The second time you get 6 months in prison then your deported. Any subsequent offense would be double the prison time of the previous offense then deportation. That coupled with a streamlined legal process open to anyone who can prove they are financially self sufficient or have means to become financially self sufficient (education, ect.), don't have a criminal record and don't pose a health risk to anyone would solve at least 90% of our illegal immigration problem.

I think our legal immigration system needs a major overhaul. Things take longer than they have to, it's expensive, redundant and inefficient. A lot of the paperwork could be converted into an online form that could at least in part be processed by computers. That would make things faster and maybe less expensive. With my wife and step son we had to deal with multiple government agencies which all essentially asked for the same information. If they could share the information between agencies more efficiently or better yet have one agency that does everything that would speed things up. I'm sure other things could be done but you guys get the idea. Basically make it easy for people that won't be a drain on our society to come here legally and make illegal immigration so prohibitive it won't be practical for most people.

Really good points and I absolutely agree with you. It's too bad that we probably won't see such a drastic overhaul anytime soon (I'm thinking I won't live to see it lol). This will probably take a long time to even see a difference in the immigration system. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Whole bunch of articles all the time in the Texas newspapers about the plights of individual illegals.

Long one today about a 5-year-old who was separated from his illegal father.

Yes, heartbreaking that the little ones -- who can't understand -- have to suffer.

However, I have no clue why these people don't head to Costa Rica, Panama, or South America instead of here.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I have it on good authority that, in asylum hearings, the USCIS officers do not ask, "If we grant you asylum and let you stay, what do you have to offer the U.S.?"  That would be chief among what I, and perhaps many others of us, would want to know.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).