faithful12

Geen card through employer?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Hello, 

I wasnt sure under which topic to post this query. 

I have a GC with my employer, which automatically provides GC to my spouse and kids. 

However I am not happy with my employer. 

Is there any possibility my spouse can apply for a GC through his present employer? Will him already having a GC affect his GC application? What are the options of applying a GC for him through his company? 

Any information highly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

if you are a LPR, then you are a resident, period, you won't loose your residency status if you leave the company. it is not a work visa that can be revoked, it is a GC. you can leave your employer and work wherever you like. You aren't tied to your employer for the rest of your life

you don't need to apply for another GC, a GC is a GC

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

From what I've heard is if we dont work.for the employer that filed our GC it could lead to.problems while applying for citizenship. Also they say if reported the UScis could revoke your GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

not true

you will apply for citizenship after 5 years of being a GC holder

nobody can take your GC away, unless you commit a crime, but not your employer

Edited by aleful

1 hour ago, faithful12 said:

From what I've heard is if we dont work.for the employer that filed our GC it could lead to.problems while applying for citizenship. Also they say if reported the UScis could revoke your GC

Sounds like nonsense from your company trying to keep you there...? 

As others have said, a GC is a GC. Once you have one, you are in no way tied to your employer. Your employer may sponsor you for one but after that they have no hold on you. The GC has no link back to them and nothing they do can affect it.   And your husband can work for anyone he wants to with his GC.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Timeline

Leaving employer immediately after obtaining ir via that employer can be viewed negatively.  Of you have remained at least 6 months after receiving your GC, you are most likely OK.

From your question it appears that you are not properly informed about the GC and citizenship process.  You need to sign up for classes so you are prepared for the naturalization test and are prepared for what lies ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

"Your employer may sponsor you for one but after that they have no hold on you."

This is only true from a government perspective.  This should be called out though for anyone playing around with greencards and employment:  the greencard isn't tied to the employer from the view of the government (agreeing with people above), but there may be a legal contract between the employer and the employee so that changing jobs later may have a penalty within a certain length of time. 

I am going through this right now actually.  The fulltime employee offer letter to my existing contractor, in which I take over his H1B sponsorship and then start his greencard process, specifically states that if I sponsor him, and he leaves before 2 years, he will need to reimburse my company a certain amount and I will also cease all support of the greencard process if it hasn't been completed at the time of departure.    This has been the case for every Fortune 100 company I have worked at.

It sounds to me like there is some confusion in this thread about implications of transitioning an H1B visa versus a Greencard.   Sponsorship of a H1B visa does require some paperwork to transition to a different employer that will sponsor.  Greencard doesn't, but that legal contract I mention above, if it exists, could have a financial penalty or lose of greencard in process (not yet obtained).

Edited by mtempelaar

3 minutes ago, mtempelaar said:

"Your employer may sponsor you for one but after that they have no hold on you."

This is only true from a government perspective.  This should be called out though for anyone playing around with greencards and employment:  the greencard isn't tied to the employer from the view of the government (agreeing with people above), but there may be a legal contract between the employer and the employee so that changing jobs later may have a penalty within a certain length of time. 

I am going through this right now actually.  The fulltime employee offer letter to my existing contractor, in which I take over his H1B sponsorship and then start his greencard process, specifically states that if I sponsor him, and he leaves before 2 years, he will need to reimburse my company a certain amount and I will also cease all support of the greencard process if it hasn't been completed at the time of departure.    This has been the case for every Fortune 100 company I have worked at.

This isn't directly tied to the OP's post but I wanted to call out this in response to the quote above so no incorrect info out there.

Context is a fine thing. My answer was in response to “From what I've heard is if we dont work.for the employer that filed our GC it could lead to.problems while applying for citizenship. Also they say if reported the UScis could revoke your GC”. I’m sure if I tried hard enough I could pull something you said above out of context and caution someone else on what you said too ...

I would assume the OP would know if they had signed a contract (though, maybe not in which case your clarification would be useful to her). And perhaps you have worked for careful companies but there seem to be many people who dump their employers when they get their green cards judging by numerous posts in this and other forums. Kind of surprised more companies aren’t as careful as yours tbh, but there you have it. Btw, you also don’t state precisely what hold other than $$ the company has over you once the GC process is complete, just that they can withdraw support for it before then. 

34 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Context is a fine thing. My answer was in response to “From what I've heard is if we dont work.for the employer that filed our GC it could lead to.problems while applying for citizenship. Also they say if reported the UScis could revoke your GC”. I’m sure if I tried hard enough I could pull something you said above out of context and caution someone else on what you said too ...

I would assume the OP would know if they had signed a contract (though, maybe not in which case your clarification would be useful to her). And perhaps you have worked for careful companies but there seem to be many people who dump their employers when they get their green cards judging by numerous posts in this and other forums. Kind of surprised more companies aren’t as careful as yours tbh, but there you have it. Btw, you also don’t state precisely what hold other than $$ the company has over you once the GC process is complete, just that they can withdraw support for it before then. 

My company would withdraw support for the greencard if not yet completed and the financial penalty is high.   If they do have a greencard through us and they quit at 6 months, yes we would go after them financially.   We may take the money from their last paycheck or vacation payout, and if that isn't sufficient, they would hear from our lawyers.  

I did have someone who we were sponsoring for a greencard and then she went on long term disability.  She had been forced to return by HR when she couldn't provide a valid medical reason for continued long term disability.  When she came back, she quit after a week.   I was angered that we held the position for her for a year when I desperately needed someone in that role, but we decided not to go after the money. We did, however, cease greencard sponsorship which she hadn't received yet.

Some companies don't so the legal contract because they haven't been burned enough times or having on staff lawyers isn't financially feasible.  A fortune 100 company is going to have an entire department of lawyers.

It sounds to me like the OP doesn't fully understand the process and rights, so many not understand what was paperwork signed and for what purpose.   I don't know...just wanted to throw that out there for full picture.

26 minutes ago, mtempelaar said:

My company would withdraw support for the greencard if not yet completed and the financial penalty is high.   If they do have a greencard through us and they quit at 6 months, yes we would go after them financially.   We may take the money from their last paycheck or vacation payout, and if that isn't sufficient, they would hear from our lawyers.  

I did have someone who we were sponsoring for a greencard and then she went on long term disability.  She had been forced to return by HR when she couldn't provide a valid medical reason for continued long term disability.  When she came back, she quit after a week.   I was angered that we held the position for her for a year when I desperately needed someone in that role, but we decided not to go after the money. We did, however, cease greencard sponsorship which she hadn't received yet.

Some companies don't so the legal contract because they haven't been burned enough times or having on staff lawyers isn't financially feasible.  A fortune 100 company is going to have an entire department of lawyers.

It sounds to me like the OP doesn't fully understand the process and rights, so many not understand what was paperwork signed and for what purpose.   I don't know...just wanted to throw that out there for full picture.

OP clearly not working for a Fortune 100 company with an army of lawyers and HR people who explain things properly but a scammy little one trying to frighten her into staying with them judging by what she’s said.  Again, she claims her and family already all have green cards.

Edited by SusieQQQ

NEVER sign a contract that you do not intend to honor.  NEVER sign a contract you do not understand. If you have questions, hire your own independent attorney to review the contract.

Reports of employment based visa and green card issues make me believe the employee is out to scam the employer more frequently rather than the other way around. People will sign anything just to come to the US and then wonder why they have problems when they violate the terms of the contract they signed.  While many of the contracts may have unenforceable terms, do you really have the funds or time to fight it out in court?

With a GC you can leave your employer whenever you feel like it. However, they will check to make sure that your GC was obtained in good faith. So if you quit the sponsoring job a week or two after getting the GC, that surly can raise a red flag during the citizenship step. So the question is not about the legality of changing jobs after getting the GC (it's 100% legal) but rather about your intentions at the time of filing the I-485/I-140.

Most attorneys suggest waiting for 6 months with changing jobs, after receiving an EB GC. This period, though, is totally arbitrarily picked and is not a law. The 180-day period is probably originating from the the AC21 rule, which applies to pending I-140 cases. 

In short, if your desire to change jobs only arose after receiving the GC, you'll be fine. This is similar to family-based cases - you don't want to divorce the day after getting greened...   

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

17 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

Reports of employment based visa and green card issues make me believe the employee is out to scam the employer more frequently rather than the other way around. People will sign anything just to come to the US and then wonder why they have problems when they violate the terms of the contract they signed.  While many of the contracts may have unenforceable terms, do you really have the funds or time to fight it out in court?

Generally I agree with you, but this case sounds different.

The work visa system is riddled with holes and ripe for abuse from so many angles. They need to fix it, because economically, it’s the most critical visas they issue.

32 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

NEVER sign a contract that you do not intend to honor.  NEVER sign a contract you do not understand. If you have questions, hire your own independent attorney to review the contract.

Abuse happens on both ends. Just like with family-based GCs. It all comes down to good faith. Employers like keeping their "H1B slave" cheap labor (mostly from India) and employees sometimes take positions just for the GC. Again, that's not different from FB. 

Edited by randomstairs
03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

The work visa issue has evolved and is in many ways controlled by earlier immigrants taking advantage of their countrymen.

I continue to be angered by those why refuse to consider American citizens and LPRs before going abroad for a worker.  I would advise anyone that a STEM degree in engineering and IT is only a stop  on a career path to a totally different degree.  It is cheaper to hire a foreign guest worker than to keep an older, skilled worker. And people wonder why things don't work like they used to.

Note: I received my first engineering degree 49 years ago. I would not do it again not because I did not love the work but because of the uncertainty of it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.