9 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey folks;

my case is filed under f2a and my husband is already eligible for citizenship! He’s willing to apply but we’ve a question; can he visit me while applying for it? If yes for how long he can stay & there will be any issues or drawbacks of traveling while naturalization is under process? TYI

Well in the application he will be asked about trips he has made. As a general rule he needs to have spent more time in the US than out. I'm sure there won't be an issue visiting you after he applies. But he needs to be back home for biometrics and interview. After the interview he will receive his oath ceremony notice which will again ask him about trips he has made. 

I'd suggest to file online because from what I've seen here it seems to go faster than paper. Once he had taken his oath he can upgrade your petition and a visa will be available for you. No need to wait for the priority date to become current. Once he is a citizen and has his passport he can visit you as long as he wants. 

Edited by little immigrant

Timeline
7 hours ago, little immigrant said:

Well in the application he will be asked about trips he has made. As a general rule he needs to have spent more time in the US than out. I'm sure there won't be an issue visiting you after he applies. But he needs to be back home for biometrics and interview. After the interview he will receive his oath ceremony notice which will again ask him about trips he has made. 

I'd suggest to file online because from what I've seen here it seems to go faster than paper. Once he had taken his oath he can upgrade your petition and a visa will be available for you. No need to wait for the priority date to become current. Once he is a citizen and has his passport he can visit you as long as he wants. 

Thanks so much bud❤️ So basically he can visit me right after applying for it? He just want to come for 2-3 weeks. And I’m sure there’s a huge margin between interview and applying? No? 

Well it also depends what field office he has. Some of them have really long waits, like a year between applying for citizenship and interviewing/oath (which can also have a month or more between them again depending on FO)

Timeline
Just now, SusieQQQ said:

Well it also depends what field office he has. Some of them have really long waits, like a year between applying for citizenship and interviewing/oath (which can also have a month or more between them again depending on FO)

He’s from Chicago so obviously he’ll go there

According to this processing time for N400 at Chicago is 11.5-15.5 months.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Unless you only recently filed, it’s quite possible your priority date will get current before he gets to be a citizen.

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

According to this processing time for N400 at Chicago is 11.5-15.5 months.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Unless you only recently filed, it’s quite possible your priority date will get current before he gets to be a citizen.

Yes I’m thinking about this too. I hope that my pd becomes current before he got his citizenship. I’ve no issues with that; what is bothering me is that can he visit me after applying? Won’t this affect his naturalization in any terms? I’m just super blank Rn! 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Sal11 said:

Yes I’m thinking about this too. I hope that my pd becomes current before he got his citizenship. I’ve no issues with that; what is bothering me is that can he visit me after applying? Won’t this affect his naturalization in any terms? I’m just super blank Rn! 

Don’t worry, he can visit him right after N400 submission or anytime he wants as long as he doesn’t miss biometrics, interview or oath. His short trips will not affect his N400 processing/approval.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
6 hours ago, arken said:

Don’t worry, he can visit him right after N400 submission or anytime he wants as long as he doesn’t miss biometrics, interview or oath. His short trips will not affect his N400 processing/approval.

Thank you so much ❤️❤️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.