Teemo

Port of Entry - do they go through your phones?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone had experience with officers at a port of going through your phone, or requesting to?

I was using a work visa a few years to come into the country (from Toronto), and that happened to me...felt like quite the invasion of privacy, over and above the invasion of privacy one should expect and accept in secondary inspection. And it was awkward for him to go through my contacts, ask me how I know them, or when he went through my email/texts and asking what some meant. Especially when he found one embarrassing, sexual-related email, read it out loud and said "this is provocative." Like, none of your business. 

Is this still common? Anyway to refuse it and still be let in (as a non-US citizen)? I'm open to almost anything else in terms of inspection, questioning, interviewing, searching my person and my luggage, etc, but going through the personal contents on my phone seems excessive and painful.

It should be said that of course I have nothing to hide or fear. I have entered lawfully, with inspection, dozens of times. But haven't re-entered in the last 4 years. This is about limits to the invasion of privacy, not trying to hide anything. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Teemo said:

This is about limits to the invasion of privacy, not trying to hide anything. 

Invasion of privacy? Do you place security of the nation above or below "invasion of privacy"?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Yes, they can look at your phone, your laptop, etc.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Although it's definitely a point of controversy, they can absolutely do this. Sorry. This process makes your life an open book, we all have to do it.

With that said it's not incredibly common. But it is possible. If they do it, just hand it over and let them do what they do.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, missileman said:

Invasion of privacy? Do you place security of the nation above or below "invasion of privacy"?

Nice. Like I said I am open to everything else and I have nothing to hide. My question was if there is a limit or not, and if it was common or not. I believe those are fair questions. And if they say they have to go through my phone then I will let them go through my phone. 

I can already see this thread is going to go south if an otherwise reasonable person equates asking about searching through phones with not caring about national security. 

Mods feel free to close this thread please since i already received my answer. @Pitaya @Ontarkie

Edited by Teemo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought Canada could do this also to people if they wanted... I have heard of it being done anyways. So each country do have their own rights to see information if they feel they need to technically. Sucks but that is the case.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thread locked to further replies as requested by the OP

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.