Adam&Allison

What's everyones opinion on President Trump?

81 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

Overall I think he is doing a good job. That being said I didn't vote for him expecting him to be a choir boy and I disagree with him in some key areas. I challenge anyone though to find a candidate they agree with 100%. Here is the good and the bad in my opinion.

The good:

-tax cuts

-job creation policies (though I don't believe any president has full control over this his policies are helping)

-GDP above 4% (same thing as job creation policies)

-immigration policies

-staying out of fraudulent Paris climate accord

-staying out of TPP and trying to renegotiate NAFTA

-attempting to get us out of Obamacare and ending Obamacare tax penalty (though it would be nice If republicans in Congress would grow a spine and back him on this)

-attempting peace deal with North Korea (only time will tell if this will be successful)

-right to try law

The bad:

-getting involved in Syria 

-not getting out of Afghanistan 

-not immediately firing Obama hold overs who are working to sabotage his agenda

-hiring people like John Bolton

-not firing Jeff Sessions for the horrible job he is doing 

- the border wall (I support his overall immigration policy but I believe a physical wall will have little impact)

-moving Israeli embassy to Jerusalem (although he did follow through on his campaign policy in this regard)

I am probably missing some things but you get the idea. For those of you who have accused me of being a lock step Trump cult follower hopefully this post will put that notion to rest.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except for the bolded part.

16 minutes ago, Adam&Allison said:

Did you see the clip where Alex Jones from Infowars confronts Sanders in an airport and mentions that comment about how him saying white people don't know what it's like to be poor is inherently racist? 

Alex Jones... Oh my now you have opened a can of worms where is Val ??

BTW welcome to the underbelly of VJ

Just now, Nature Boy Flair said:

Alex Jones... Oh my now you have opened a can of worms where is Val ??

BTW welcome to the underbelly of VJ

Thank you! Glad to be here!

Alex Jones is for sure sure an interesting fellow. I do admit I find some of the InfoWars channels entertaining, mainly when some of their reporters will go to protests and question liberals on why they don't like Trump - and most of the time they don't really have an answer.  

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I give him a 5 out of 10 so far.

5 out of 10 is actually good, for me. It's the most I've given any president in the last couple of decades, because they all suck and make a ton of mistakes imo, and Trump is no different. But Obama only managed a 4 and Clinton would have probably gotten worse so I'd take it if I were you :D

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

28 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Same here but it's like the Philippines as well. My wife is happy with Duterte but she wishes he would shut his mouth sometimes, I am the same way with Trump.

I have mixed feelings on Duterte. I believe his heart is in the right place and he is doing some good (and is an outsider from the political establishment). However I cannot go along with summary executions of people accused of drug crimes (or anything else for that matter) though I do understand his stance on the issue considering where he came from. I think in some ways he is kind of like Trump in that he is an outsider and says what is on his mind without it being scripted. My wife on the other hand (along with most Filipinos she knows) likes pretty much everything he does.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

2 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

I have mixed feelings on Duterte. I believe his heart is in the right place and he is doing some good (and is an outsider from the political establishment). However I cannot go along with summary executions of people accused of drug crimes (or anything else for that matter) though I do understand his stance on the issue considering where he came from. I think in some ways he is kind of like Trump in that he is an outsider and says what is on his mind without it being scripted. My wife on the other hand (along with most Filipinos she knows) likes pretty much everything he does.

Well I have in laws who actually met him while he was a mayor in Davao, and my wife is from Davao City. So I am well away of what he has done for Davao City overall compared to what it was like. But I think overall the Philippines needed a drastic change of pace to hopefully knock it back in to shape so to speak.

Where is your wife from province wise?

8 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Well I have in laws who actually met him while he was a mayor in Davao, and my wife is from Davao City. So I am well away of what he has done for Davao City overall compared to what it was like. But I think overall the Philippines needed a drastic change of pace to hopefully knock it back in to shape so to speak.

Where is your wife from province wise?

Originally Leyte but moved to Laguna as a child. Her family is less than an hour from Manila.

2 hours ago, jg121783 said:

Overall I think he is doing a good job. That being said I didn't vote for him expecting him to be a choir boy and I disagree with him in some key areas. I challenge anyone though to find a candidate they agree with 100%. Here is the good and the bad in my opinion.

The good:

-tax cuts

-job creation policies (though I don't believe any president has full control over this his policies are helping)

-GDP above 4% (same thing as job creation policies)

-immigration policies

-attempting to get us out of Obamacare and ending Obamacare tax penalty (though it would be nice If republicans in Congress would grow a spine and back him on this)

-attempting peace deal with North Korea (only time will tell if this will be successful)

-right to try law

The bad:

-getting involved in Syria 

-not getting out of Afghanistan 

-hiring people like John Bolton

-not firing Jeff Sessions for the horrible job he is doing 

- the border wall (I support his overall immigration policy but I believe a physical wall will have little impact)

-moving Israeli embassy to Jerusalem (although he did follow through on his campaign policy in this regard)

I am probably missing some things but you get the idea. For those of you who have accused me of being a lock step Trump cult follower hopefully this post will put that notion to rest.

Surprisingly my assessment isn't too far from yours actually. I'll add/substract below:

The good:

-tax cuts - :thumbs: (though I don't think they are going to have as big of an impact on individuals as people hope, but great for big businesses. The wealthy will just get wealthier, as always)

-job creation policies (though I don't believe any president has full control over this his policies are helping) - :thumbs:

-GDP above 4% (same thing as job creation policies) -  :thumbs: (But i agree - This is more of an association then something he has done specifically...but it will certainly help him to get reelected)

-immigration policies - Plus/Minus - I think we definitely need to do something, but I'm not crazy about everything a lot of what he has done (the temporary "muslim ban" for example). I've seen an increased amount of animosity towards "outsiders" (particularly Muslims) and I don't think he is doing enough to discourage that

-attempting to get us out of Obamacare and ending Obamacare tax penalty (though it would be nice If republicans in Congress would grow a spine and back him on this) - I'm fine with him trying to replace Obamacare, but ending the tax penalty without making any other changes in a bad idea. It makes things worse until you can make things better later on, and we have no idea when that will be

-attempting peace deal with North Korea (only time will tell if this will be successful) - :thumbs:

-right to try law - :thumbs:

The bad:

-getting involved in Syria - :thumbs:

-not getting out of Afghanistan - :thumbs:

-hiring people like John Bolton - :thumbs:

-not firing Jeff Sessions for the horrible job he is doing  - He had to recuse himself given the situation. Then getting fired would have looked pretty bad so it's probably for the best that he didn't.

- the border wall (I support his overall immigration policy but I believe a physical wall will have little impact) - :thumbs:

-moving Israeli embassy to Jerusalem (although he did follow through on his campaign policy in this regard) - :thumbs:

Ending the Iran Deal (surprised you didn't put this in your good section) - While it was a non-binding agreement in the sense that he was perfectly in his power to end it, I don't agree with ending it because all objective evidence suggested it was doing its job

- General international respect for the US has declined (Just from my personal experience, and granted that mostly comes from European countries)

As I said above - I think he has either encouraged or not discouraged enough divisiveness and animosity towards "others", mostly towards Muslims but generally towards people who don't agree with him. He is by no means solely responsible for this but he certainly isn't trying to take the high road

As someone said early in the thread - If the economy is doing well, he'll probably be reelected in 2020. That's the way things are headed right now. I first joined this forum (CEHST specifically) the day after his election and from the beginning I always figured his strength would be in the economy (in part because of his background, and in part because it was already improving and so it was going to be easy for him to piggyback off that). 

(I realized after the fact that the thumbs up in the "Bad" section may make it seem like I like those things -- thumbs up means I agree with you)

Edited by bcking

1 hour ago, bcking said:

-tax cuts - :thumbs: (though I don't think they are going to have as big of an impact on individuals as people hope, but great for big businesses. The wealthy will just get wealthier, as always)

My CPA actually estimates I will get about $4000 more back under the new tax law if my income stays the same. I can do a lot for my family with that extra $4000. The tax bill cuts taxes for pretty much everyone. Sure when it comes to dollar amounts rich people and corporations will save way more than my family but they also pay in way more so I'm okay with that. Taxes are too high for everyone.

1 hour ago, bcking said:

I'm fine with him trying to replace Obamacare, but ending the tax penalty without making any other changes in a bad idea. It makes things worse until you can make things better later on, and we have no idea when that will be

I don't think someone who can't afford health insurance should have a to pay a tax penalty under any circumstances. That doesn't help anyone. First a health care bill gets passed that jacks up health insurance rates to unaffordable levels for many then they have to pay a tax penalty on top of it. Tell me how that is fair or reasonable.

At the end of the day we disagree on some important issues but we seem to agree on just as much if not more. I suspect many people fall in that same group and might not realize it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I give him 3/10

Good

Nomination of Gorsuch

Potential peace deal with NK

ICE enforcement (though much of everything else I disagree with).

Bad

Everything related to Trade - Its one thing to focus on the trade balance with China, but its illogical to target countries like Canada who we actually have a surplus with. The policies lack direction. We could easily pull out the book on how China treats our exports and do a ####### for tat which would make it harder for China to reciprocate against.

Immigration

The wall fiasco, the muslim ban, reneging on DACA. The only thing I support is more enforcement from ICE. 

Syria

Inconsistency, we are in, we are out etc. (Personally, I support slow withdraw).

Tax Cuts

Whilst I personally am enjoying it, its sped up an already ticking time bomb of deficit spending.

Personally I don't think he'll run for reelection. Also where is the 4% GDP people are mentioning coming from? I've only seen 2.2 to 3.2 percent. 

Previous presidents (with hindsight for reference) Obama - 6/10, Bush - 5/10, Clinton 6/10, Bush Sr. 8/10, Reagan 6/10, Carter, 4/10, Ford 5/10, Nixon 5/10, LBJ 4/10, JFK DNF,  Eisenhower, 9/10, Truman 5/10, 

Edited by Sonea

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Sonea said:

I give him 3/10

Good

Nomination of Gorsuch

Potential peace deal with NK

ICE enforcement (though much of everything else I disagree with).

Bad

Everything related to Trade - Its one thing to focus on the trade balance with China, but its illogical to target countries like Canada who we actually have a surplus with. The policies lack direction. We could easily pull out the book on how China treats our exports and do a ####### for tat which would make it harder for China to reciprocate against.

Immigration

The wall fiasco, the muslim ban, reneging on DACA. The only thing I support is more enforcement from ICE. 

Syria

Inconsistency, we are in, we are out etc. (Personally, I support slow withdraw).

Tax Cuts

Whilst I personally am enjoying it, its sped up an already ticking time bomb of deficit spending.

Personally I don't think he'll run for reelection. Also where is the 4% GDP people are mentioning coming from? I've only seen 2.2 to 3.2 percent. 

Previous presidents (with hindsight for reference) Obama - 6/10, Bush - 5/10, Clinton 6/10, Bush Sr. 8/10, Reagan 6/10, Carter, 4/10, Ford 5/10, Nixon 5/10, LBJ 4/10, JFK DNF,  Eisenhower, 9/10, Truman 5/10, 

Interesting. Apparently I can not use a term related to a nipple here. Weird.

Edited by Sonea

58 minutes ago, bcking said:

Why stop at one?

Trump would probably try to replace all 4 faces with his face.

And the left would try to have some of the current faces removed for being slave owning racists.