Le&Dy

Visiting while waiting for K1 & how long?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi All. My Fiancé applied for a K1 Visa for me in March and I'm hoping to get some insight from others in the same position - I know it's early days for us compared to some of you and I realize the current processing times are showing 5 - 7 months, but I also see case inquiries are back in November so I'm just wondering how long everyone's been waiting? I am a freelance designer so am able to work pretty much anywhere with my Australian clients, so I had been going back and forth between Australia and the US staying for 2weeks - 3months at a time (on a B1 tourist visa I attained a few years ago when I backpacked the US) But on my last visit to the US in January I was taken in for questioning and told it didn't look good that I was spending so much time there and I was only able to stay for 1 month and told that we needed to find an alternative arrangement if we wanted to continue our relationship, and so we got engaged (love also had something to do with it haha). So now I'm back in Australia waiting and continuously checking our visa status (a useless and heartbreaking process). Going 7+ months apart is looking extremely excruciating so I'd love to be able to go over midway for a few weeks to spend some time together but I'm scared they won't let me in with my history. Any ideas? How long is the process taking for others? Thanks and good luck everyone!

Edited by Le&Dy

Timeline

25 minutes ago, Roel said:

Of course they might deny you entry. You already have been warned. 

But you also might be let in without issues. 

Honesly no one will know here. 

Current waiting times are more like 8 months to 12 months. 

You're not the first nor the last one to wait and be away from your partner. ;)

Thanks Roel. After reading through posts I thought it may be more like 8 - 12months. I wish there was some sort of bridging visa that allowed those waiting to be with their partners until the next step. It's a difficult process for us all. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

Keep your trip length short... weeks month months.. take evidence of returning to Australia.. work contracts, rental or mortgage commitments .. you are almost 6 months since your last visit so that is a positive. 

In reality no one can guarantee but the advice given by the CPB last time has been followed.. you are moving forward with your relationship by legal methods.. don’t carry any paperwork like birth certificates etc that could be construed as proof of intention to stay.. good luck 

Thanks Dee Elle. I work for myself and am currently living with family so I don't have much backing me as evidence of returning. Feels like a huge gamble trying to go back over so much to think about. Thanks for your response and advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Can your fiance visit you? I don't know how strict Australian customs is. My fiance has visited me in the UK twice as much as I've visited him. It's much easier for him to get in the UK, he doesn't need an ESTA. It's helped us bridge the gap by pacing our time apart in to manageable chunks. Or meet somewhere neutral for a holiday?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, Le&Dy said:

Thanks Dee Elle. I work for myself and am currently living with family so I don't have much backing me as evidence of returning. Feels like a huge gamble trying to go back over so much to think about. Thanks for your response and advice.

I have visited on ESTA three times since December, never had any issues. After filing for the K1 I visited for 4 weeks in April. At POE I was asked for the purpose of my visit and I thruthfully answered "to visit my fiancé". The officer asked me how long I'm staying and that's it. I was prepared to tell her that we filed for the K1 and are following the process and therefore I have no intention of staying (why would you throw several hundred dollars out the window in February to then just stay in the US two months later and risk being deported...oh well...). All I had on me was a letter from my employee stating that I am still employed and expected back at my office on date xx. Since you work for yourself, maybe you can provide current bank statements (showing you have clients that are paying you) or orders that you have received for future work, insurance contracts, rental contract, etc. In my opinion you don't have to worry too much about being able to enter. As unfortunate as it is, but I assume that beneficiaries from countries that have a hard and long time getting approved will experience a hassle, not you. That said, there never is any guarantee of being granted entry, but that goes for everyone, even without a pending visa application. 

K1

2018-02-09: I-129F sent

2018-02-15: NOA1

2018-08-16: NOA2

2018-10-11: Interview 

2018-10-19: Visa received

2018-12-06: US entry

2018-12-15: Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

2019-02-26: Filed

2019-03-05: NOA

2019-06-12: Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751)

Potomac Service Center

2021-05-07: Filed

2021-05-12: NOA

2021-08-26: Biometrics

2023-03-11: 48-month extension letter received

2024-02-07: RFE 

2024-02-14: Response to RFE received

2024-02-15: I-751 approved

Citizenship (N-400)

2024-04-02: Filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Le&Dy said:

But on my last visit to the US in January I was taken in for questioning and told it didn't look good that I was spending so much time there

"A word to the wise is sufficient"-  You have been warned, so you are at risk for denial on any visit.  Many, many of us have/had been apart from our spouse for more than a year during the process. It's just part of the process due to the enormous number of petitions submitted each month. Patience and staying busy is the key for this process.

Good luck in your journey.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you have been working in the US which is a no no.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, ST_RO said:

I have visited on ESTA three times since December, never had any issues. After filing for the K1 I visited for 4 weeks in April. At POE I was asked for the purpose of my visit and I thruthfully answered "to visit my fiancé". The officer asked me how long I'm staying and that's it. I was prepared to tell her that we filed for the K1 and are following the process and therefore I have no intention of staying (why would you throw several hundred dollars out the window in February to then just stay in the US two months later and risk being deported...oh well...). All I had on me was a letter from my employee stating that I am still employed and expected back at my office on date xx. Since you work for yourself, maybe you can provide current bank statements (showing you have clients that are paying you) or orders that you have received for future work, insurance contracts, rental contract, etc. In my opinion you don't have to worry too much about being able to enter. As unfortunate as it is, but I assume that beneficiaries from countries that have a hard and long time getting approved will experience a hassle, not you. That said, there never is any guarantee of being granted entry, but that goes for everyone, even without a pending visa application. 

Thanks for your response ST_RO. Gives me a bit of faith that I might get in.

Timeline
35 minutes ago, missileman said:

"A word to the wise is sufficient"-  You have been warned, so you are at risk for denial on any visit.  Many, many of us have/had been apart from our spouse for more than a year during the process. It's just part of the process due to the enormous number of petitions submitted each month. Patience and staying busy is the key for this process.

Good luck in your journey.

Thanks Missileman. I was warned but we have also done the right thing and respected what I was told. But I can see it would be a huge gamble. Thanks for your response!

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Sounds like you have been working in the US which is a no no.

Well that's what they accused me of and tried to pressure me into "confessing". But I really don't think I did anything wrong. Any work I did while in the US was online for my Australian clients, paying in Australian dollars into an Australian bank account which I pay Australian taxes on. They sure made me feel like a criminal none the less though.

Timeline
3 hours ago, fip & jim said:

Can your fiance visit you? I don't know how strict Australian customs is. My fiance has visited me in the UK twice as much as I've visited him. It's much easier for him to get in the UK, he doesn't need an ESTA. It's helped us bridge the gap by pacing our time apart in to manageable chunks. Or meet somewhere neutral for a holiday?

Thanks for the tip fip & Jim. I think that might be our best bet if he can get some time off.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Le&Dy said:

Well that's what they accused me of and tried to pressure me into "confessing". But I really don't think I did anything wrong. Any work I did while in the US was online for my Australian clients, paying in Australian dollars into an Australian bank account which I pay Australian taxes on. They sure made me feel like a criminal none the less though.

You were working whilst in the US.

As a visitor.

Makes me wonder why you went for the K1 and the long delay in getting EAD.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You were working whilst in the US.

As a visitor.

Makes me wonder why you went for the K1 and the long delay in getting EAD.

Didn't really see another option?

37 minutes ago, Le&Dy said:

What you did is in a gray area. Those CBP officers seem to believe your circumstances was crossing the line into unauthorized work while inside the US.

1 minute ago, Le&Dy said:

Didn't really see another option?

Visit your partner and see the country?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.