Caleb J

Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey guys! So my mother in law wants to visit the U.S to see her daughter(she’s here as a permanent resident.)

She spoke to a travel agent who’s told her that her income will be insufficient and they’ll most likely deny her visa. Now I know that we can be the ones that’ll pay for her expenses. I know this won’t guarantee her visa being approved due to other factors involved(ties to country, etc). 

My questions are:

1. Do I need to send tax returns or will W2s suffice? 

2. Do we need so sign an affidavit of support for a tourist visa?

3. I’m home in the U.S, so can they accept any scanned (and signed) letters and documents or do they have to be original and signed?

4. Do I need to send supporting documents such as copies of birth certificate, U.S passport, driver’s license, etc? Does my wife as well(greencard, ID)?

Pre Immigration:

Oct, 2010: Met my spouse!

May, 05/04/2014: Began dating!

Jan 01/01/2015: Engaged.

Jul 07/17/2015: Married!

USCIS CR-1/IR-1:
Dec 12/28/2015: Mailed I-130 (Chicago Lockbox)
Jan 01/04/2016: NOA 1 (California)
Jan 01/26/2016: NOA 2 (USCIS)
Feb: Sent to NVC.
TOTAL DAYS IN USCIS: 22 days.
NVC Stage
Feb 02/14/2016: NVC received case.
Feb 02/23/2016: NVC issued Case and Invoice #.
Feb 02/25/2016: Received Case & Invoice Number from NVC.
Feb 02/25/2016: Filled out and completed DS-261.
Feb 02/27/2016: Invoice fee to pay Affidavit of Support.
Mar 03/15/2016: Paid Affidavit of Support fee.
Mar 03/18/2016: Affidavit of Support fee paid status.
Mar 03/18/2016: Invoice to pay IV fee, Paid IV fee,
Mar 03/23/2016: Completed DS-260.
Mar 05/11/2016: Ceac Case shows ready and expedited to Rio(unknowingly)
May 05/31/2016: Sent in AOS & IV package.
May 05/31/2016: Case complete. Received Medical Letter and Interview scheduled for June 17th, 2016.
June 06/01/2016: Medical exam schedule for 06/15/2016.
June 06/17/2016: VISA APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you don't do anything or send anything. she must qualify on her own merits. she must show strong ties to her country and that she will return

and that she has no intent to stay since she has a daughter who could eventually file for her once she is a US Citizen

so none of those questions are relevant for a tourist visa.

To answer your questions...

1. Nope

2. Nope

3. Nope

4. Nope

This is the biggest mistake people make when helping friends and family with tourist visa. You do nothing. They have to apply on their own. There is no sponsorship for a visitor visa. All of the stuff you want to send will not help, in fact, sometimes it actually her her chances because it shows you are capable to take care of her if she decides not to return to her country and live in the US illegally.

Evidence from family in the US does nothing. Think about it, if you want to go to China for a visit, due you have to provide all of that that you posted?

Best you can do is help her through the application process. You mother will just have to apply with evidence that show strong ties to her country. In other words, the interviewing officer wants to see evidence that she must return to Brazil. Not that she wants to come to the US. Have her apply and see. Sometimes the elderly are able to attain visitor visas.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well I was just waiting for someone to post something similar to this since I went through the exact same situation two months ago. Everything I saw online was exact what @NuestraUnion @aleful are saying BUT in my case I partially agree with that. 

Basically I`m a GC holder and wanted my mom and brother (youngish) to come and visit my family here (myself and wife, plus her parents). When I saw all these messages saying that she needs to qualify on her own, there is no sponsorship etc etc I basically almost decided not to pursue her visa anymore but wanted to try anyway. She come from a very simple family, never really travelled abroad, barely nationally, she would need help to fill out all papers, gather everything together etc....

Long story short, they were approved and that made me believe that if they were able to do it, anyone can and I will tell you why. My mom doesnt have anything "big" on her name, pays rent, doesnt have a permanent job etc etc....

She filled the DS and I reviewed with her everything online, we added that I was going to pay for her try, filled the family section pretty straight forward, got residence, bank statements and company letter proof....from my end, in addition to that I also wrote an invitation letter.

So, not only that, we`ve got the rent contract copy, my brothers school contract and a bunch of other papers that could potentially increase her chances of being approved.

The day before the interview, I review everything with her, made sure she understood every single paper in case the IO ask her something related. 

My moms and brother interview date. They both went, arrived 40 mins before, entered the line, was called to the interview. The IO agent asked where they were going to, how long, when I entered US and how andddd APPROVED. 

So I have quite a few points here to mention. While lots of people say that a GC or US Citizen cant really sponsor a B2 visa and whoever is coming needs to qualify on their own and as much as I (partially) agree with that, I also believe that everyone have a different story and that is why you should try it anyways. 

Make sure she is prepared and understand the visa process, make sure you collect as much as documentation you can from her side and your side (in my moms case, they didnt use any of my documentation I sent), wont hurt to have it all. Last but not least......

To your questions

1- No

2- No

3- They will accept digital docs, doesnt need to be original. I only sent copies

4- I did send my birthcertificate, bank statements, proof of residence etc....

Good luck and if you need anything else, send me a PM.

Ps: I hope that can help other people going through the same situation. And I am not saying that what was said before isnt true, I am basically saying that it is possible.

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Filed: Timeline

As an observation my SIL comes here once every year and a half or so from Brazil and stays for a month. Has she ever had trouble getting a visa in the 30 years her sister has lived here. No. Has she ever overstayed. No. She is a self employed psycholgist. They see her comings and goings and there is no problem. 

Her husband comes less frequently. He has never had a problem. The one time he came he was the press secretary for a Brazilian Cabinet Minister. The US Immigration guy was impressed. He didnt use his official passport as it was a personal trip.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most people visit without issues, naturally we tend to see the outliers the unusual cases on here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.