Umka36

California's new water restrictions send residents fleeing to saner states

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, IDWAF said:

I agree completely.  In the past, entire species were wiped out.  We as humans have the smarts to overcome (at least a percentage of us SHOULD survive).  But the earth is VERY effective of purging those things which do not live in harmony with it, as well as things that are part of the earth itself.

I also think this would happen with or without mankind; we are only going to hasten it’s occurrence based on our carbon footprint.

Well one of the problems is that our lives also depends on the survival of species. Like the bees that are now down to 1/3 of what they used to be and if they die we have about 4 years left to live. 

And to respond to your other post: yes, I know it would take all of us to make some serious changes and I know it's not going to happen. So now we're just going to stand on the sidelines as islands disappear and deal with stronger and more frequent hurricanes and other natural disasters that are made worse by what we're doing to the planet. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
13 hours ago, Unidentified said:

That's the problem with people today. They only care about themselves. I am not worried about myself. I feel sorry for the people already forced to leave their home because of the rising sea levels and having to put up with people brushing it off like it's nothing because it's not affecting them. 

But yeah, don't worry because it's not happening to you. Meanwhile, the planet is overpopulated and we're using up resources like it's never ending and live on this planet like there's a Planet B somewhere out there. 

Why do I even bother...

IF man is actually the cause for global climate change, then THIS is the root problem.  What should we do about it?

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Unidentified said:

Well one of the problems is that our lives also depends on the survival of species. Like the bees that are now down to 1/3 of what they used to be and if they die we have about 4 years left to live. 

And to respond to your other post: yes, I know it would take all of us to make some serious changes and I know it's not going to happen. So now we're just going to stand on the sidelines as islands disappear and deal with stronger and more frequent hurricanes and other natural disasters that are made worse by what we're doing to the planet. 

The bee claim is another one I have a hard time with.  As a former bee keeper myself, I know full well how important they are.  But to think that the end of bees is the end of humans... that is a stretch, IMHO.  Many other insects and animals pollinate plants, though not as well as bees.  

“Island disappearing” is a tad strong, at least in the next 1,000 years.  But you are right, it will happen eventually, unless something triggers another ice age before a total meltdown.  Bear in mind, as people focus on the North Pole, the South Pole is growing daily.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

The bee claim is another one I have a hard time with.  As a former bee keeper myself, I know full well how important they are.  But to think that the end of bees is the end of humans... that is a stretch, IMHO.  Many other insects and animals pollinate plants, though not as well as bees.  

“Island disappearing” is a tad strong, at least in the next 1,000 years.  But you are right, it will happen eventually, unless something triggers another ice age before a total meltdown.  Bear in mind, as people focus on the North Pole, the South Pole is growing daily.

I think you forgot to read one of the articles I posted earlier. It has already happened.

Bees pollinate the majority of the crops we use for food. If not all people die, at least most of them will starve to death because we won't be able to feed everyone. Not that we can now either. 

2 hours ago, Unidentified said:

I think you forgot to read one of the articles I posted earlier. It has already happened.

Bees pollinate the majority of the crops we use for food. If not all people die, at least most of them will starve to death because we won't be able to feed everyone. Not that we can now either. 

We will just  eat more meat. Problem solved

2 hours ago, Unidentified said:

If an island already disappeared, then it will come back when the ocean levels drop, and it wasn’t high enough to be safe to begin with.  Remember, a few (hundred thousand) years ago, the sea level was 400 feet lower than it is today.  Meaning Florida and California (and other water-touching bodies of land) were a LOT larger.  

As to the bees dying off thing... like I said, I kept bees, and I know how they are prolific pollinators.  But I have a problem with saying we will all starve without bees, because pollination happens without them, too. Crops might be fewer, but we as humans would figure out a way to cross-pollinate for stronger crops if the bees were to all die (hopefully never happens).  Even the wind causes cross-pollination.

”Pollination may occur as cross-pollination between plants, or when bees, insects and birds transport and replant pollinated seeds and spores. Pollination takes place naturally in several ways, without human intervention. Some plants have the ability to repopulate among each other via the technique of cross-pollination, although most organisms rely on wind currents or pollinators, such as bees, birds and other insects to complete the process.”

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

We will just  eat more meat. Problem solved

Oh really? What meat? We're feeding cows etc with so much of our crops we could have been able to feed the entire planet if we stopped eating meat...

9 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Oh really? What meat? We're feeding cows etc with so much of our crops we could have been able to feed the entire planet if we stopped eating meat...

Then we would all be slowly dying of vitamin B deficiencies.  Vegans are not healthy.

Timeline
3 hours ago, IDWAF said:

You said we could feed the road with our crops if we didn’t eat meat.  Vegans don’t eat meat, right?

Vegans are not the only ones not eating meat. They just take it one step further than vegetarians or pescatarians. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 hours ago, IDWAF said:

grasshoppers taste a lot like raw green beans

Bald eagle tastes like chicken, it's also said.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).