Umka36

California's new water restrictions send residents fleeing to saner states

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
13 hours ago, IDWAF said:

To be even more clear, the site says "expected" & "predicted" sea levels and flooding.  

Ocean levels have risen about 7.8 inches in the past 100 years, which is an average of 0.078 inches per year.  Might be a bit early to start advertising ocean front property in AZ.

Yeah I am not saying it's going to happen anytime soon and I doubt there will be water front property in AZ. I am just saying that the US and other parts of the world are already seeing issues with the rise in sea levels. 

Timeline
On 6/6/2018 at 2:12 PM, OriZ said:

lol...one really should not be forced to breathe ammonia. Capping how much water someone can use is so third world it's not even funny. You can charge them more per gallon above a certain threshold(that's what they did in Israel when there was a serious water issue), but not entirely prevent them from access to the water, imo. 

Oh, wait, SJW will never accept the fact that the rich will be able to afford to use more water than the poor, so lets make everyone stink. Kinda like they wanna make everyone poor. Great.

What does ammonia has to do with this?

Filed: Timeline
7 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Yeah I am not saying it's going to happen anytime soon and I doubt there will be water front property in AZ. I am just saying that the US and other parts of the world are already seeing issues with the rise in sea levels. 

I have not heard this.  Can you provide a link to actual happenings?

Take a clear glass, and put some water in it.  Draw a line with a marker where the line is.  Now add 3 drops of water.  Compare to the line.  That’s about a years’ worth of “increased tidal rise”.  Now add 27 more drops of water.  That’s about 10 years’ worth of rise.  If you compare the new 10-year level to the original mark, you might see why I don’t think it’s a concern for anyone alive today.

Edited by IDWAF

Timeline
3 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

I have not heard this.  Can you provide a link to actual happenings?

Take a clear glass, and put some water in it.  Draw a line with a marker where the line is.  Now add 3 drops of water.  Compare to the line.  That’s about a years’ worth of “increased tidal rise”.  Now add 27 more drops of water.  That’s about 10 years’ worth of rise.  If you compare the new 10-year level to the original mark, you might see why I don’t think it’s a concern for anyone alive today.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/ng-interactive/2017/nov/03/three-degree-world-cities-drowned-global-warming

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/08/13/542645647/in-egypt-a-rising-sea-and-growing-worries-about-climate-changes-effects

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2017/09/09/new-study-finds-8-islands-swallowed-by-rising-sea-level/#56e978f55283

"But the oceans are not like a bathtub. The water doesn't rise uniformly."

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/24/566280048/the-sea-level-threat-to-cities-depends-on-where-the-ice-melts-not-just-how-fast

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let me know when it rises over a mile.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

22 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

You, your children, and THEIR children will die of old age before you have to worry about sea levels.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Past-150000-Years-of-Sea-Level-History-Suggests-High-Rates-of-Future-Sea-Level-Rise.html

Like anything else in this world, it ebbs and flows.  Once it gets TOO warm, it will freeze again.  And then it will warm again.  The earth can take care of itself.

Consider that at certain points in history, the water rose over 130 meters.  That’s about 400 feet in CA speak.  I don’t think the 0.5 up to 12mm per year we have experienced in the past 200 years is really much of a comparison.

Edited by IDWAF

Timeline
4 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

You, your children, and THEIR children will die of old age before you have to worry about sea levels.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Past-150000-Years-of-Sea-Level-History-Suggests-High-Rates-of-Future-Sea-Level-Rise.html

Like anything else in this world, it ebbs and flows.  Once it gets TOO warm, it will freeze again.  And then it will warm again.  The earth can take care of itself.

Consider that at certain points in history, the water rose over 130 meters.  That’s about 400 feet in CA speak.  I don’t think the 0.5 up to 12mm per year we have experienced in the past 200 years is really much of a comparison.

That's the problem with people today. They only care about themselves. I am not worried about myself. I feel sorry for the people already forced to leave their home because of the rising sea levels and having to put up with people brushing it off like it's nothing because it's not affecting them. 

But yeah, don't worry because it's not happening to you. Meanwhile, the planet is overpopulated and we're using up resources like it's never ending and live on this planet like there's a Planet B somewhere out there. 

Why do I even bother...

7 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

That's the problem with people today. They only care about themselves. I am not worried about myself. I feel sorry for the people already forced to leave their home because of the rising sea levels and having to put up with people brushing it off like it's nothing because it's not affecting them. 

But yeah, don't worry because it's not happening to you. Meanwhile, the planet is overpopulated and we're using up resources like it's never ending and live on this planet like there's a Planet B somewhere out there. 

Why do I even bother...

So tell us what YOU are doing to make the planet a better place?  

Here’s the thing... if you live on a beach, or a river bank, you are subject to flooding over and over.  As sea levels rise (and they will), you will get wetter the closer to shore you live.  And guess what?  In 500 years, when there is another ice age, people will complain about how cold it is, and how the sea levels are dropping, and so on and so forth.

Without us, the earth will change.  With us, the earth will change faster.  That’s life on our planet.  Nothing you can do about it, except complain or accept the reality.

@Unidentified - Please don’t take my post above as a personal attack.  But realize that unless ALL of us were to give up our lifestyle, nothing will change in this century.  Air travel would have to nearly cease, automobiles would have to be given up, factories and plants closed, etc., to even being to make a reversal in the way things are going.  I know I am not willing to give up my vehicle (though my personal carbon footprint is pretty darn small), and I am not going to live without electricity, so I am to blame as much as anyone. 

Can we as humans make a difference?  Absolutely.  But are we willing to, as a planet?  I don’t see it ever happening.  The earth will continue on its path, until such a time as another ice age comes along, and the ongoing process of destruction and decay of everything man has created will continue, and the cycle will continue.  Just like it did before we came about.

1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

Also consider that this type of change often caused mass extinction to go along with it. I don't think we can even guess how changes of this magnitude would effect a population of 10 billion people because we have never been at this point before. 

I think it's probably accurate to say the earth can definitely survive and recover from these types of events, but whether or not humans can remains to be seen.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

27 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Also consider that this type of change often caused mass extinction to go along with it. I don't think we can even guess how changes of this magnitude would effect a population of 10 billion people because we have never been at this point before. 

I think it's probably accurate to say the earth can definitely survive and recover from these types of events, but whether or not humans can remains to be seen.

I agree completely.  In the past, entire species were wiped out.  We as humans have the smarts to overcome (at least a percentage of us SHOULD survive).  But the earth is VERY effective of purging those things which do not live in harmony with it, as well as things that are part of the earth itself.

I also think this would happen with or without mankind; we are only going to hasten it’s occurrence based on our carbon footprint.