LeoUSA

Two different names

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I dont know if this happened before but I need your help please.

My father in Law has 2 names .. in USA his name is different than his name in his home country (Syria)

So all the civil records here in syria have his name different than his name in his US passport

So when translating the document .. the translator said that she will put his name as written in USA which is different from the original paper that is being translated

what do you think i should do

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Amr8 said:

Hello everyone,

I dont know if this happened before but I need your help please.

My father in Law has 2 names .. in USA his name is different than his name in his home country (Syria)

So all the civil records here in syria have his name different than his name in his US passport

So when translating the document .. the translator said that she will put his name as written in USA which is different from the original paper that is being translated

what do you think i should do

thank you

What do you need his name for? Depending on what you need it for I wouldn't change the name on the documents. 

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

What do you need his name for? Depending on what you need it for I wouldn't change the name on the documents. 

Well his name in my marriage certificate for example .. it is different from his name in US :/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Amr8 said:

I am translating my marriage certificate and familial extract for the interview

I'm no expert but with such an official paper like that I'd keep his Syrian name on it and then just have something that proves his name change and just explain to them he took a new name after becoming a citizen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You will have a stronger case if you provide the details as you have here. Any discrepancy will be picked up on anyway and then they will ask for more evidence, so provide the information from the beginning. Provide a covering letter explaining. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

You will have a stronger case if you provide the details as you have here. Any discrepancy will be picked up on anyway and then they will ask for more evidence, so provide the information from the beginning. Provide a covering letter explaining. 

I will let the transltor translate his name as written in USA and ill add a letter explaining this with a copy of his US passport

sounds good enough?

24 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

I'm no expert but with such an official paper like that I'd keep his Syrian name on it and then just have something that proves his name change and just explain to them he took a new name after becoming a citizen.

Thank you

Edited by Amr8

Filed: Timeline
23 minutes ago, Amr8 said:

I will let the transltor translate his name as written in USA and ill add a letter explaining this with a copy of his US passport

sounds good enough?

Thank you

How will you prove that the two names belong to the same person?   What's the legal document that shows the name change?  How would John Smith be the same person as James Smith?

Furthermore, changing the name means that the translation is not accurate; the name has been changed.  That creates a problem when the translator certifies that the translation is accurate.  This will cause the translation to be rejected.

You need a legal document showing the name change.  A letter is not enough.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

How will you prove that the two names belong to the same person?   What's the legal document that shows the name change?  How would John Smith be the same person as James Smith?

Furthermore, changing the name means that the translation is not accurate; the name has been changed.  That creates a problem when the translator certifies that the translation is accurate.  This will cause the translation to be rejected.

Well i have my wife’s birth certificte both in syria and USA .. in usa her father is mike but in syria his name is mohammed .. this is legal enough i guess

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

Well i sent the same translation to uscis and nvc and faced no problems .. i dont think it is a big deal .. if it was a big deal, i would have got an RFE back then

Just now, Amr8 said:

Well i have my wife’s birth certificte both in syria and USA .. in usa her father is mike but in syria his name is mohammed .. this is legal enough i guess

It's not proof of a legal name change.  You have two documents with two names.  

You need one document showing the legal name change.  How did your FIL legally change his name? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jojo92122 said:

It's not proof of a legal name change.  You have two documents with two names.  

You need one document showing the legal name change.  How did your FIL legally change his name? 

When he became a US citizen, he changed his name 

1 minute ago, Amr8 said:

Well i sent the same translation to uscis and nvc and faced no problems .. i dont think it is a big deal .. if it was a big deal, i would have got an RFE back then

USCIS and the NVC do not deny or approve visas; the US Embassy will deny or approve visas.  Just because documents are accepted by USCIS and the NVC does not mean they will stand up to scrutiny at the US Embassy.

1 minute ago, Amr8 said:

When he became a US citizen, he changed his name 

Then send in the document from that.  Show the legal name change from that.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

USCIS and the NVC do not deny or approve visas; the US Embassy will deny or approve visas.  Just because documents are accepted by USCIS and the NVC does not mean they will stand up to scrutiny at the US Embassy.

Then send in the document from that.  Show the legal name change from that.  

I dont think he has that paper with him anymore .. ill try my best bringing it .. but if i couldnt bring it .. i would have to explain that to the CO during the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.