GP1977

Calls to Ukraine From USA

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Waiting on NOA2 at the moment but while I had some downtime this weekend I was looking into phone calls from the USA to Ukraine once she gets here. It looks like Lycamobile allows free calls from USA to Kyivstar Ukraine under theire international calling plans which start at $20/mo.  I am very familiar with Kyivstar but does anyone here have any experience with Lycamobile? IT looks like it might be a partner with Tmobile here in the USA.  THe cost seems low and I wanted to hear feedback from anyone here as to the quality if anyone has experience with it.

ALso, I know whatsapp, viber, etc are all free but her mother lives half of the year in an area with no wifi, etc so a regular phone call will have to me made.

Thanks

Edited by GP1977

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have a Google Fi phone. The rates are cheap and you can hear very clearly. It's possible to use Google voice from any computer and make a call. The rates are the same. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Definitely look into VoIP phone service. I have ooma, and their unlimited international plan is around 18.00 a month. You have to buy a ooma device, but that's under 100. I've seen them for 49.99 on sale. Check where you can call with that unlimited plan, but it covers a lot of landline and mobile. And the call quality is the best out of all the VoIP I have tried.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 6/5/2018 at 8:56 PM, Loren Y said:

Definitely look into VoIP phone service. I have ooma, and their unlimited international plan is around 18.00 a month. You have to buy a ooma device, but that's under 100. I've seen them for 49.99 on sale. Check where you can call with that unlimited plan, but it covers a lot of landline and mobile. And the call quality is the best out of all the VoIP I have tried.

Ooma's rates for Ukraine are 15 cents a minute to a landline and 30 cents per minute to a mobile.

K1 / K2 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Kyiv, Ukriane

I-129-F mailed to USCIS 2017-11-10

Case Status received (NOA1) by USCIS: 2017-11-14

Check cashed: 2017-11-17

Case Received Email Notification: 2017-11-17

Case status available on myUSCIS: 2017-11-20

NOA1 Hardcopy received by mail: 2017-11-24

NOA2 Approval (204 days): 2018-06-06

Approval status updated on  new website: 2018-06-08

-- no updates on old website, no text, no email --

NOA2 Hardcopy received by mail: 2018-06-12

NVC Case Number Generated (21 days since NOA2): 2018-06-27

Case Left NVC: 2018-07-10 (13 days at NVC)

Case Received by Embassy: 2018-07-12 (2 days travel time!)

Medical Exam: 2018-07-16

Interview: 2018-08-08 (Approved)

Entry: 2018-09-19 (Chicago POE)

Marriage: 2018-10-12

"New" Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

"Old" Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There is also an option within Skype to call landlines. My wife pays for a monthly service to call her Mom's landline in Russia. She seems to like it.

Visa Received: 2015-03-02 (K1 - See timeline for details)
US Entry: 2015-04-09
POE: Portland, OR
Marriage: 2015-06-20
I-485/I-756 Sent: 2015-06-30
EAD Card Received: 2015-10-02    
I-485 Approval: 2016-01-13
Greencard Received: 2016-01-23

I-751 Filed ROC: 2017-10-18

I-751 Received NOA1 18mo. Extension: 2018-10-16

N-400 Filed Online: 2018-11-25

I-751 Interview/Approval: 2019-05-22

N-400 Interview/Approval: 2019-05-22

Citizenship Oath: 2019-09-21

Timeline
18 hours ago, BigRedCat said:

Why would you pay for calls? Just use Whatsapp or Telegram. My wife talks to her mom everday in Russia on Whatsapp for free. 

Yeah I know whatsapp and viber are free.  IF you read my initial post, you would see that I said her mother lives half of the year in the village where there is no wifi access so whatsapp is not an option.

Timeline

As as FYI i got a lycamobile sim card today to test out the quality. For $19.99 a month (no contract - its pay as you go) you can call anywhere in the uS Free, many different countries and anyone on the Kyvistar network. THe call quality is great. Its actually using a Tmobile tower so in essence its tmobiile service.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 6/17/2018 at 9:59 PM, GP1977 said:

Yeah I know whatsapp and viber are free.  IF you read my initial post, you would see that I said her mother lives half of the year in the village where there is no wifi access so whatsapp is not an option.

Does it also have no cellular coverage? 3G coverage is pretty extensive nowadays, and data plans are dirt cheap.

Spoiler

☑ Started the whole thing – December 13, 2016

☑ PWD request filed – January 19, 2017 

☑ PWD issued – April 7

☑ PERM certification filed – July 18

☑ PERM approved – November 14, 2017

☑ I-140 filed with PP – January 30, 2018 

☑ I-140 approved – February 27

☑ I-140 sent to NVC – March 19

NVC case number issued – May 17

NVC Scan Date – June 11

NVC Case Complete – June 14

☑ Interview scheduled – July 16

☑ Medical exam – July 17

☑ Interview completed – August 21

☑ Visa received – August 27

☐ Touch down – September 28

Timeline
16 hours ago, artml said:

Does it also have no cellular coverage? 3G coverage is pretty extensive nowadays, and data plans are dirt cheap.

Yes, you are correct. Data plans are dirt cheap. I pay less than $10/mo when i go to visit.  The area in which her mother lives in for 6 months out of the year has no internet connection.   You can pick up a cell signal but you can't  even send/receive text messages with whatsapp.  I have been their myself before and I can receive and make phone calls but thats it.  THe country just got 4g this spring  so hopefully the internet in that area will improve soon.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:35 PM, GP1977 said:

Yes, you are correct. Data plans are dirt cheap. I pay less than $10/mo when i go to visit.  The area in which her mother lives in for 6 months out of the year has no internet connection.   You can pick up a cell signal but you can't  even send/receive text messages with whatsapp.  I have been their myself before and I can receive and make phone calls but thats it.  THe country just got 4g this spring  so hopefully the internet in that area will improve soon.

Lyca is a good find.  Its pretty normal for the Dacha in the country to have cell phone service without data.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.