D and L

Driver License for Fiance/wife

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

My fiance is here already and we've file for the AOS pending the application to be processed.  We have not received the receipt # yet.  Her visa states says that the expire date is June, 8th 2018 and that's what the driver license place is going by to issue her the temporary license.  They cannot issue something past that date.  

My question is, is there something that I can do to get her the ID so she can drive while waiting for her green card?  Average time to get a green card is 12 months but that's too long for her not to be able to drive.

Please help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Did she file for EAD/AP?  If so, you might have to wait until she has that.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, missileman said:

Did she file for EAD/AP?  If so, you might have to wait until she has that.

Yes we did and we're waiting for it to process as we speak.  But most likely there's no way of going at it until she get at least the EAD/AP right?

Check your States dmv requirements.

There is so many questions like this lately and all people should do is just check with their state..  I swear this is like 3rd time I'm answering this question this week. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, D and L said:

Yes we did and we're waiting for it to process as we speak.  But most likely there's no way of going at it until she get at least the EAD/AP right?

Are you in Texas?  If so,  she will have to provide documents as listed in this brochure:  https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-57.pdf

The above brochure lists the documents which suffice.

1.  Proof of Texas residency

2.  Proof of legal status in the US-  Work Authorization is one of the ways listed.

3.  Proof of Social Security #

4.  Proof of Identity

My wife got her Texas DL after a few months in the US.  The DPS was very strict on the requirements..

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, Roel said:

Check your States dmv requirements.

There is so many questions like this lately and all people should do is just check with their state..  I swear this is like 3rd time I'm answering this question this week. 

I check with the local DMV already and they say that they have to go by the travel document.  I'm at a dead end i'm wasn't sure if there's any other way so turning my help to our fellow VJers. :)

5 minutes ago, missileman said:

Are you in Texas?  If so,  she will have to provide documents as listed in this brochure:  https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-57.pdf

The above brochure lists the documents which suffice.

1.  Proof of Texas residency

2.  Proof of legal status in the US-  Work Authorization is one of the ways listed.

3.  Proof of Social Security #

4.  Proof of Identity

My wife got her Texas DL after a few months in the US.  The DPS was very strict on the requirements..

Yes I am in Texas actually.  

1.  Proof of Texas residency - can you help specifying this?  She currently have a driving permit card but expire on June 8th, 2018.  Not sure what else can proof this.

2.  Legal status in US - waiting on this one.

3.  SS - we have the number, just with a note of not able to work and until we get the EAD

4.  Proof of identity - I guess her passport will work. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, D and L said:

Yes I am in Texas actually.  

1.  Proof of Texas residency - can you help specifying this?  She currently have a driving permit card but expire on June 8th, 2018.  Not sure what else can proof this.

2.  Legal status in US - waiting on this one.

3.  SS - we have the number, just with a note of not able to work and until we get the EAD

4.  Proof of identity - I guess her passport will work. 

It sounds like Proof of Texas residency has already been met.  I think you are out of options until her EAD arrives.  I wish I could offer a better option, but I just don't think you have any......Texas is very strict on proof of legal presence in the US.  Unfortunately, this is one of the downsides of a K-1 vs CR-1.....good luck to you and your wife.

Proof of legal presence is listed in this image:

image.png.17c6d7091602c46e3332b6a0309680ec.png

1 minute ago, missileman said:

It sounds like Proof of Texas residency has already been met.  I think you are out of options until her EAD arrives.  I wish I could offer a better option, but I just don't think you have any......Texas is very strict on proof of legal presence in the US.  Unfortunately, this is one of the downsides of a K-1 vs CR-1.....good luck to you and your wife.

Proof of legal presence is listed in this image:

image.png.17c6d7091602c46e3332b6a0309680ec.png

Thank you so much.  You've help a lot already.  At least now I don't have to go keep on searching for ways

So you already had official info from dmv but though maybe vj users know some secret way to obtain driver license? :P

Sorry gotta wait for EAD.  Some States accept i94 if is still valid. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Dee elle said:

Proof of residency ... things like utility bill in her name at her address... bank account... lease rental document. 

Its the legal status you won’t meet until the EAD/ AP is received.. and then TX will probably link the drivers licence  expiry to the expiry on the EAD/AP ...12 months. 

I agree.  I think the "Legal Presence in the US" is the issue until EAD arrival......I think she met the Texas Residency requirement in order to get her learner's permit......

1 minute ago, missileman said:

I agree.  I think the "Legal Presence in the US" is the issue until EAD arrival......I think she met the Texas Residency requirement in order to get her learner's permit......

Yes.  When we were at the DMV, he verified the visa and me as the petitioner and then verified my info regarding my Texas residency with a few documents and then she's good to get the permit.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.