JMCKNG

K1 Interview Preparation I-134 Questions

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi All-

We received our NOA2 2 weeks ago and have started compiling all the necessary documents in order to be prepared for once we receive packet 3 for his interview in Spain. For the I-134 that I will be filling out, I will get my tax returns for the last year along with the letter from my employer. 

Question on the date of the letter from my employer, does it need to be within a certain time frame? I would like to reach out to my HR Dept. now although our interview probably won't be until July sometime. As well, I have seen mixed comments on the Bank Statements, is that required if you are decently above the poverty line in means of support? Will Tax statements and employer be enough or should I reach out to the bank to give statements of the Current Year just to show the direct deposits from work?

Thanks!! :dancing:

K1 Journey from Spain to USA :wub:
10-25-2017 I-129F Sent to Lewisville
10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NOA2 :jest:
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Interview Scheduled
XX-XX-XXXX POE :whistle:
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JMCKNG said:

Hi All-

We received our NOA2 2 weeks ago and have started compiling all the necessary documents in order to be prepared for once we receive packet 3 for his interview in Spain. For the I-134 that I will be filling out, I will get my tax returns for the last year along with the letter from my employer. 

Question on the date of the letter from my employer, does it need to be within a certain time frame? I would like to reach out to my HR Dept. now although our interview probably won't be until July sometime. As well, I have seen mixed comments on the Bank Statements, is that required if you are decently above the poverty line in means of support? Will Tax statements and employer be enough or should I reach out to the bank to give statements of the Current Year just to show the direct deposits from work?

I generally lean towards within 30 day time frame. 

If making enough annually honestly wouldn't worry about banking information unless you want to show large savings or other things like assets.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I think the date on my employment verification from my employer was within 30 days of the interview. I've never seen a specific timeframe anywhere, but I would think having it closer to the date rather than not is always a good idea, so as to better prove your currently employeed there. I waited until my then-fiancé had his interview date scheduled before I got that information from my employer.

As for bank statements - honestly, he said they didn't even look at that stuff during his interview. The Affidavit of Support and some of my tax paperwork was all they really looked at. I only sent the previous 30 days of bank statements, too. Just make sure to block out your full account number information, if it shows on your statements.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline
1 hour ago, JMCKNG said:

Hi All-

Hi! I had the letter from the bank just in case, the letter from his employer (I am the beneficiary) and the taxes. I'm from Spain as well and went through the K1 visa interview back on May 2017. If you want any info or the list of documents you'll have to send back as package 3, let me know! Of course, this would be just to have an idea. You would have to wait for them to send you the letter with the documents required in case they had the list updated.  

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Andsco said:

Hi! I had the letter from the bank just in case, the letter from his employer (I am the beneficiary) and the taxes. I'm from Spain as well and went through the K1 visa interview back on May 2017. If you want any info or the list of documents you'll have to send back as package 3, let me know! Of course, this would be just to have an idea. You would have to wait for them to send you the letter with the documents required in case they had the list updated.  

I was thinking of just including a letter from the bank for the past few months just in case. A fellow person from Spain! I have read the embassy reviews on VJ of Madrid but what was your personal experience with how the interview went and what topics they focused more on? I appreciate it! He is from Malaga! :)

10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, JMCKNG said:

I was thinking of just including a letter from the bank for the past few months just in case. A fellow person from Spain! I have read the embassy reviews on VJ of Madrid but what was your personal experience with how the interview went and what topics they focused more on? I appreciate it! He is from Malaga! :)

I found everyone extremely helpful! I got there (to the embassy) and they asked for my name. Once they found it, I had to leave everything with them and take ONLY the necessary stuff for the interview (they took my phone too) and gave me a key to give back before leaving. After, I walked up the stairs and got into a room with chairs and little windows where the interview would take place. First they called me to give the X-ray's, Medical envelope (remember, it has to be closed!! it is not acceptable to arrive with any of these open!) and then I gave the letters (employer and bank). After waiting for around 5 min, they called me for the interview and told me if I wanted to do it in English or Spanish (I have all the questions they asked me in my profile here in VJ! ) and I remember him asking me for pictures (which I brought a bunch where we are seen with family, friends and in different trips to different countries we went together). The interview itself took 5 min (if so) and it was really pleasant. After the interview, the man told me I was approved and that I would get my passport and visa in a week and that it would be sent to my home. 
Like he said, a week later I had my visa and 2 days later I was on my way to the US! ^_^ 

Tell him to make sure to have EVERYTHING ready before leaving to the US after he gets his visa as, once he is inside the country, he cannot leave until he gets an authorization or his GC!
Btw, I have family in Malaga as well! :D

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

Timeline
1 hour ago, Andsco said:

I found everyone extremely helpful! I got there (to the embassy) and they asked for my name. Once they found it, I had to leave everything with them and take ONLY the necessary stuff for the interview (they took my phone too) and gave me a key to give back before leaving. After, I walked up the stairs and got into a room with chairs and little windows where the interview would take place. First they called me to give the X-ray's, Medical envelope (remember, it has to be closed!! it is not acceptable to arrive with any of these open!) and then I gave the letters (employer and bank). After waiting for around 5 min, they called me for the interview and told me if I wanted to do it in English or Spanish (I have all the questions they asked me in my profile here in VJ! ) and I remember him asking me for pictures (which I brought a bunch where we are seen with family, friends and in different trips to different countries we went together). The interview itself took 5 min (if so) and it was really pleasant. After the interview, the man told me I was approved and that I would get my passport and visa in a week and that it would be sent to my home. 
Like he said, a week later I had my visa and 2 days later I was on my way to the US! ^_^ 

Tell him to make sure to have EVERYTHING ready before leaving to the US after he gets his visa as, once he is inside the country, he cannot leave until he gets an authorization or his GC!
Btw, I have family in Malaga as well! :D

This is great information! Thank you! We haven't received our case number yet from NVC but he already has obtained his police certificate, birth certificate, and is gathering his immunization records in order to get prepared to bring to the medical. He then will be in contact with a certified translator because it is under my understanding that all documents in Spanish have to be translated into English, as well for him to bring to the US in order to get our marriage license. 

When the medical and the interview were needing to be booked, after packet 3 was mailed, how available were the medical and interview time slots in regards to how quickly you were able to get an appointment?

10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Timeline
48 minutes ago, JMCKNG said:

This is great information! Thank you! We haven't received our case number yet from NVC but he already has obtained his police certificate, birth certificate, and is gathering his immunization records in order to get prepared to bring to the medical. He then will be in contact with a certified translator because it is under my understanding that all documents in Spanish have to be translated into English, as well for him to bring to the US in order to get our marriage license. 

When the medical and the interview were needing to be booked, after packet 3 was mailed, how available were the medical and interview time slots in regards to how quickly you were able to get an appointment?

Any day I said was just fine for them! What I did is to take the medical 1 week before the interview (because it takes a week for the results to come in) so, the morning of my interview, I went to the medical, took the results and went to the interview! About the translations..I am not 100% but I did hear that as long as the papers are either in English or Spanish, they are just fine. In my case I had german papers to bring as well so I did have to translate those. As long as the papers are used ONLY by the embassy, I believe they are fine either way (English or Spanish) but if the papers have to be used later on to apply for the AOS then yes, translate them to English. 
You could always contact the embassy by email (they do not answer the phone) and ask if the papers that has to be provided only to the embassy have to be translated and then see what they say. But like I said, papers that has to be sent later on for AOS..yes, translate. 

Edited by Andsco

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Andsco said:

Any day I said was just fine for them! What I did is to take the medical 1 week before the interview (because it takes a week for the results to come in) so, the morning of my interview, I went to the medical, took the results and went to the interview! About the translations..I am not 100% but I did hear that as long as the papers are either in English or Spanish, they are just fine. In my case I had german papers to bring as well so I did have to translate those. As long as the papers are used ONLY by the embassy, I believe they are fine either way (English or Spanish) but if the papers have to be used later on to apply for the AOS then yes, translate them to English. 
You could always contact the embassy by email (they do not answer the phone) and ask if the papers that has to be provided only to the embassy have to be translated and then see what they say. But like I said, papers that has to be sent later on for AOS..yes, translate. 

Wow that's great! Such useful information! So you didn't encounter any issues with long wait times after you received packet 3 with the doctor's office being too busy or the interview slots being a month away?! That's amazing news if that is the case. He went to the University of Birmingham for 5 years so he needs to get a police certificate from there as well in order to follow policy and he should be set. That's nice to know about the translations as well. I think he will just translate them in case because he has a friend who is certified and then we have the documents for back in the US for the marriage license and AOS.

10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JMCKNG said:

Wow that's great! Such useful information! So you didn't encounter any issues with long wait times after you received packet 3 with the doctor's office being too busy or the interview slots being a month away?! That's amazing news if that is the case. He went to the University of Birmingham for 5 years so he needs to get a police certificate from there as well in order to follow policy and he should be set. That's nice to know about the translations as well. I think he will just translate them in case because he has a friend who is certified and then we have the documents for back in the US for the marriage license and AOS.

Not at all! (about the waiting times) the only thing I had "problems" was with choosing the date of the interview with the embassy (there's counted interviews every month). As I was looking for a date, I saw one open for the same month at the end of it and I went for it haha I remember the girl at the embassy telling me that I was one of the quickest interviews they had (because my package got to the embassy the second week of May 2017 and the last week of May I was having my interview.) :lol:

Edited by Andsco

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

Timeline
14 hours ago, Andsco said:

Not at all! (about the waiting times) the only thing I had "problems" was with choosing the date of the interview with the embassy (there's counted interviews every month). As I was looking for a date, I saw one open for the same month at the end of it and I went for it haha I remember the girl at the embassy telling me that I was one of the quickest interviews they had (because my package got to the embassy the second week of May 2017 and the last week of May I was having my interview.) :lol:

That is really quick and great! When you mention "counted interviews every month" what does that mean? They have only a few days available per month of when you can interview?

10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 hours ago, JMCKNG said:

Hi All-

I wouldn't overthink this process...especially if your income meets the requirements. Just bring your latest tax return and the letter from your employer, if you get one right now it will be sufficient. Don't worry about bank statements, it isn't necessary. 

Timeline
Just now, javadown2 said:

I wouldn't overthink this process...especially if your income meets the requirements. Just bring your latest tax return and the letter from your employer, if you get one right now it will be sufficient. Don't worry about bank statements, it isn't necessary. 

Thanks! I was thinking that would be sufficient, I will probably include the last few months of bank statements just in case but I wouldn't think they would even be looked at, better safe than sorry I suppose with this process! 

10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, JMCKNG said:

Thanks! I was thinking that would be sufficient, I will probably include the last few months of bank statements just in case but I wouldn't think they would even be looked at, better safe than sorry I suppose with this process! 

Yes, I did the same thing but from a different country...they didn't even go over our financial paperwork. It doesn't hurt to have the extra pay stubs, but honestly it isn't really needed, just peace of mind :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.