1,652 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, apinchofstella said:

I got a SSN when I was an Aupair in the US. I got married and received the marriage certificate. Can I go and get my name changed on my SSN? Or after I received EAD Card?

Pretty sure you don't have to wait for EAD. If you have the marriage certificate, then you can just take it and go to the SSA. I believe that's what @Swissmiss82 did?

h

1 hour ago, LizM said:

Pretty sure you don't have to wait for EAD. If you have the marriage certificate, then you can just take it and go to the SSA. I believe that's what @Swissmiss82 did?

@apinchofstella yes, @LizM is right.

I was an aupair too, had a SSN and i just went to the office, gave them my old name with passport, so they found me in the system.

And i handed them the marriage cert, so they asked a few security questions (name of parents etc) and that was it :)

i'm sure you'll get it immediately too!

ahhhhh @Shoegum is a june filer too :D yaaaay! so happy we are in the same boat! 

N-400: 12/05/2023 (confirmed fingerprints are re-used)

Interview scheduled for: 05/09/2024

1 hour ago, LizM said:

I apply for my wife's SS the monday after our wedding May 14 with her single name because we didn't have the certificate yet. 

We got the ss card yesterday, I went to day to get the name updated to the married name but they told me since her status expires on June 14 they couldn't make any changes and now i have to wait until the immigration documents are done to do the name update.

Has anyone applied for an State ID? 

1 hour ago, MariaB Soria said:

I apply for my wife's SS the monday after our wedding May 14 with her single name because we didn't have the certificate yet. 

We got the ss card yesterday, I went to day to get the name updated to the married name but they told me since her status expires on June 14 they couldn't make any changes and now i have to wait until the immigration documents are done to do the name update.

Has anyone applied for an State ID? 

Ahh right! Thanks for reminding me, I didn't think about that.

So to be clear @apinchofstella - if you have more than 14 days left until your I-94 expires, then you can do what @Swissmiss82 did. If not, you will probably have to wait for your EAD :)

h

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd share my timeline so far. I first sent my AOS on APRIL 24th. 22 days later I received a very damaged big envelope in the mail with my rejection green slip - the I-485 form was an expired one. So I redid all my paperwork.

• Friday, June 1stSent AOS again via USPS certified mail
  • Monday, June 4th - Delivered to the Chicago Lockbox
  • Tuesday, June 5th - $1,225 charged on my credit card (we chose to pay with the G-1450 form)
  • Wednesday, June 6th - Received e-notifications via e-mail and texts (3 in total, one for each form)

Is this the average time? It seems very fast, I only hope we're this lucky. I'm only asking because I don't know exactly how long the first AOS package took to reject, since the envelope it came in was a new USPS one and it was obviously lost or mishandled by them, so maybe that's why it took 3 weeks to get back to us.

K1 Timeline --> I-129F Sent : 2017-01-03 ~~ I-129F ~~ NOA2 : 2017-04-21 ~~ Interview : 2017-07-24 ~~ Visa : 2017-07-26 ~~ US Entry : 2017-07-29 ~~ Marriage : 2017-08-29 ~~

AOS  Timeline ~~ Package Filed : 2018-06-01 ~~ Bio. Appt. : 2018-06-25 ~~

4 minutes ago, MagdalenaB said:

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd share my timeline so far. I first sent my AOS on APRIL 24th. 22 days later I received a very damaged big envelope in the mail with my rejection green slip - the I-485 form was an expired one. So I redid all my paperwork.

• Tuesday, June 5th - $1,225 charged on my credit card (we chose to pay with the G-1450 form)
  • Wednesday, June 6th - Received e-notifications via e-mail and texts (3 in total, one for each form)

Is this the average time? It seems very fast, I only hope we're this lucky. I'm only asking because I don't know exactly how long the first AOS package took to reject, since the envelope it came in was a new USPS one and it was obviously lost or mishandled by them, so maybe that's why it took 3 weeks to get back to us.

That’s pretty fast, I mailed the same time and my package delivered this Monday and they still haven’t charged my check yet.

I-485/765/131:

06/01/2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP through UPS, received NOA1 on 6/11. Received bio appointment on 6/15 and completed on scheduled date 6/29.

07/06/2018 - Submitted EAD expedite request with job offer, reason was financial loss. Received EAD/AP combo card on 08/04. AOS changed to 'Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview' on 7/24.

07/23/2019 - AOS interview was scheduled on 8/27. In the interview USCIS can't make decision because original K1 file got split up somewhere.

11/25/2019 - AOS got approved, received the actual card in mail on 12/2.

I-751:

09/05/2021 - Sent ROC through FedEx, delivered on 9/7, received message e-notification on 9/9 stated case was received, check is cashed on 9/10, NOA1 in mailbox on 9/13.

10/28/2021 - Fingerprints have been taken (Reuse).

01/17/2023 -  Case was transferred To Another Office

01/26/2023 - Case Was Approved

N-400:

08/28/2022 - Submitted N-400 online, NOA1 on 08/29/2022, with estimate time 10 months for decision. Biometrics is reused.

11/23/2022 - Interview was scheduled on 1/11/2023, it was a combo interview for I751/N400. Both cases were verbally approved. System hasn't been updated yet. 

01/26/2023 - Form N-400 recommended to be approved --> Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled

02/06/2023 -  Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed, Oath on 2/22

02/22/2023 - Oath Ceremony, applied passport the same day, with estimated receiving date in middle of May. ALL DONE!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Nick&Vicki said:

That’s pretty fast, I mailed the same time and my package delivered this Monday and they still haven’t charged my check yet.

Maybe it went faster because we decided to go with the Credit Card Payment option. The first package submission went out with two money orders totaling $1,225 .

K1 Timeline --> I-129F Sent : 2017-01-03 ~~ I-129F ~~ NOA2 : 2017-04-21 ~~ Interview : 2017-07-24 ~~ Visa : 2017-07-26 ~~ US Entry : 2017-07-29 ~~ Marriage : 2017-08-29 ~~

AOS  Timeline ~~ Package Filed : 2018-06-01 ~~ Bio. Appt. : 2018-06-25 ~~

55 minutes ago, MagdalenaB said:

Hey everyone!

I think you're in the normal timeline. We sent out the package Monday, it was delivered to the USCIS Wednesday, and today they have reserved an amount of $1,225 on my husband's credit card. We did the G-1450 form as well. Your post makes me hopeful that I too will get some e-notifications tomorrow :)

h

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On June 6, 2018 at 9:27 AM, Shoegum said:

Sent ours 2 days ago expected to be delivered tomorrow :)

Heyyyyy @Shoegum! Fellow K-1 May 2017 Filer here. Congrats on getting your K1 approval. I wonder if there are any more K-1 May 2017 Filer's in this topic? We just did the Biometrics and are waiting now. I guess another interview is coming.

"Do not worry about anything, but in everything, by prayer and

petition, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, that is superior to every frame of mind, shall be garrisoning your hearts and your apprehensions in Christ Jesus."

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Houston TX
Date Filed : 2022-03-12
NOA Date : 2022-03-13
Bio. Appt. :  
Interview Date : 2023-01-06
Approved : Yes
Oath Ceremony : 2023-01-21

USPS INFORMED DELIVERYhttps://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Update my case:

6/1/2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP through UPS

6/4/2018 - Delivered to Chicago lockbox

6/7/2018 - Received emails/texts at 10pm with the receipt numbers

I-485/765/131:

06/01/2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP through UPS, received NOA1 on 6/11. Received bio appointment on 6/15 and completed on scheduled date 6/29.

07/06/2018 - Submitted EAD expedite request with job offer, reason was financial loss. Received EAD/AP combo card on 08/04. AOS changed to 'Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview' on 7/24.

07/23/2019 - AOS interview was scheduled on 8/27. In the interview USCIS can't make decision because original K1 file got split up somewhere.

11/25/2019 - AOS got approved, received the actual card in mail on 12/2.

I-751:

09/05/2021 - Sent ROC through FedEx, delivered on 9/7, received message e-notification on 9/9 stated case was received, check is cashed on 9/10, NOA1 in mailbox on 9/13.

10/28/2021 - Fingerprints have been taken (Reuse).

01/17/2023 -  Case was transferred To Another Office

01/26/2023 - Case Was Approved

N-400:

08/28/2022 - Submitted N-400 online, NOA1 on 08/29/2022, with estimate time 10 months for decision. Biometrics is reused.

11/23/2022 - Interview was scheduled on 1/11/2023, it was a combo interview for I751/N400. Both cases were verbally approved. System hasn't been updated yet. 

01/26/2023 - Form N-400 recommended to be approved --> Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled

02/06/2023 -  Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed, Oath on 2/22

02/22/2023 - Oath Ceremony, applied passport the same day, with estimated receiving date in middle of May. ALL DONE!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 6-6-2018 at 8:30 AM, LizM said:

Yay! Was the 31st of May the date you sent off the package or the date it reached the USCIS? :)

I just received a notification that my package was delivered this morning, but I guess the NOA1s may take a few days.

Yea I send my package on the 31st of May. 

They charged the 1225 dollar today. Hopefully everything goes as fast as this.

yaaaay we got the notification overnight with all 3 case numbers :D

now let the fun begin again with the waiting time! hahaha

oh and btw, it says "received, June 1st..." but we did not get the notifcation until yesterday, 7th. 

the email says the NOA1 will arrive in within 7-10 days, so let's see :) 

N-400: 12/05/2023 (confirmed fingerprints are re-used)

Interview scheduled for: 05/09/2024

34 minutes ago, Swissmiss82 said:

yaaaay we got the notification overnight with all 3 case numbers :D

now let the fun begin again with the waiting time! hahaha

oh and btw, it says "received, June 1st..." but we did not get the notifcation until yesterday, 7th. 

the email says the NOA1 will arrive in within 7-10 days, so let's see :) 

Yay! Have they cashed the check yet? :D We used the new credit card payment and they reserved an amount so I am hopeful it worked! I was just a bit nervous since it was relatively new. 

h

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.