MarksMate

Applying for SS number through EAD.

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys, another question. 

?

We are doing AOS paperwork now and saw on the EAD application form question 9 and 10. Can you apply for a social security number this way if so, does it take as long as however long your EAD would take to get. Is it better to get it by going to the office in person. Is there a rush to get a SSN? apart from working when the time comes what else would I use it for?

Thanks

K1                                                                                                       AOS

20 March 2017: We got engaged!!                                             13 June 2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06 June 2017 - Sent I-129F                                                         15 June 2018 - USCIS signature received.

12 June 2017 - Case was received.                                           20 June 2018 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

14 June 2017 - NOA1                                                                   22 June 2018 - Cash checked

14 December 2017- NOA2                                                          23 June 2018 - Hardcopy i797 for AOS/EAD/AP

26 January 2018 - NVC Scan Date                                            17 July 2018 - Biometrics appt

29 January 2018 - NVC Number                                                24 July 2018 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

07 February 2018  -Medical                                                        27 Sept 2018 - Call to request EAD expedite based on pending job offer/financial hardship

20 February 2018 -Interview: APPROVED!                               6 Oct 2018 - Letter in mail stating "Your case is currently under review"

21 February 2018- Visa Issued                                                  16 Nov 2018 - EAD Approved                                                                             

23 February 2018-Visa in hand                                                  24 Nov 2018 - EAD/AP received in mail

20 March 2018 -POE: Los Angeles                                            26 Nov 2018 - SSN mail received 

20 May 2018-Marriage                                                                06 Nov 2018 - Interview Scheduled

16 March 2019 - Interview 

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 1:01 PM, MarksMate said:

?

We are doing AOS paperwork now and saw on the EAD application form question 9 and 10. Can you apply for a social security number this way if so, does it take as long as however long your EAD would take to get. Is it better to get it by going to the office in person. Is there a rush to get a SSN? apart from working when the time comes what else would I use it for?

Thanks

Yes, you can apply for SSN with your EAD application. However, you won't receive the SSN until a few days after you receive your EAD card. Currently, the EAD is taking 4/6 months on average, and in many cases much longer. 

I applied for SSN with the EAD as I didn't realise that I could go to the office and apply for it in person. This meant that until I received my EAD and SSN I couldn't open a bank account or get added to my wife's health insurance as I didn't have an SSN (apparently you don't need it for health insurance but her company insisted it was a requirement).

Based on my experience I would advise you apply for SSN in person and not with the EAD, so that you get it quicker. However, keep in mind there is a time limit within which you have to apply for the SSN in person, as you must have more than 2 weeks left of the original 90 days that you were given when you entered the country to get married on your K1 visa. After this point, you cannot apply for SSN in person until you have your EAD card. 

1 hour ago, FlashLG said:

Yes, you can apply for SSN with your EAD application. However, you won't receive the SSN until a few days after you receive your EAD card. Currently, the EAD is taking 4/6 months on average, and in many cases much longer. 

I applied for SSN with the EAD as I didn't realise that I could go to the office and apply for it in person. This meant that until I received my EAD and SSN I couldn't open a bank account or get added to my wife's health insurance as I didn't have an SSN (apparently you don't need it for health insurance but her company insisted it was a requirement).

Based on my experience I would advise you apply for SSN in person and not with the EAD, so that you get it quicker. However, keep in mind there is a time limit within which you have to apply for the SSN in person, as you must have more than 2 weeks left of the original 90 days that you were given when you entered the country to get married on your K1 visa. After this point, you cannot apply for SSN in person until you have your EAD card. 

It was too late for me to apply for a SSN in person as my i94 was going to expire within 14 days. I applied via the EAD, I was able to be added to my husbands bank account and was able to be added to his medical insurance too. Only problem I have is not being able to volunteer or get my drivers license. 

K1                                                                                                       AOS

20 March 2017: We got engaged!!                                             13 June 2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06 June 2017 - Sent I-129F                                                         15 June 2018 - USCIS signature received.

12 June 2017 - Case was received.                                           20 June 2018 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

14 June 2017 - NOA1                                                                   22 June 2018 - Cash checked

14 December 2017- NOA2                                                          23 June 2018 - Hardcopy i797 for AOS/EAD/AP

26 January 2018 - NVC Scan Date                                            17 July 2018 - Biometrics appt

29 January 2018 - NVC Number                                                24 July 2018 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

07 February 2018  -Medical                                                        27 Sept 2018 - Call to request EAD expedite based on pending job offer/financial hardship

20 February 2018 -Interview: APPROVED!                               6 Oct 2018 - Letter in mail stating "Your case is currently under review"

21 February 2018- Visa Issued                                                  16 Nov 2018 - EAD Approved                                                                             

23 February 2018-Visa in hand                                                  24 Nov 2018 - EAD/AP received in mail

20 March 2018 -POE: Los Angeles                                            26 Nov 2018 - SSN mail received 

20 May 2018-Marriage                                                                06 Nov 2018 - Interview Scheduled

16 March 2019 - Interview 

On 5/31/2018 at 4:01 PM, MarksMate said:

?

Thanks

I just received my combo card for EAD/AP and SS card at the same time today. It is more convenient to answer yes on those questions to have them order your SS card for you.

Edited by msscarlette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.