Scotty23

Anyone been pregnant and out of status?

95 posts in this topic

Hello, right now I have been in the middle of filing for AOS from esta based on my marriage to a us citizen. We recently found out I am pregnant. I went for my medical appointment last week - everything was fine but I have to go to an ob to get an MMR vaccine before I can get my medical paperwork back to send off my application. 

Problem is I have no insurance, my husband missed the cut off date to add me to his. I have also been out of status since August.

I just wondered if anyone here has been in the same or a similar situation and could tell me if there is a way for me to get insurance or am I best to pay out of pocket? 

I have called round a few places and got some prices- very pricey compared to our free healthcare back home in the uk lol. 

any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

Ps. If you don’t have advice please don’t comment, stressed enough so I don’t need the negative comments or opinions from people who just come on here to critisize others. 

Well, you definitely don't want pregnancy and birth without insurance. That will cost you at least 10,000$ to 20,000$ IF there is no complications. 

Buy  some insurance ASAP.  It is what it is and no insurance will be free or cheap. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

4 minutes ago, Roel said:

Well, you definitely don't want pregnancy and birth without insurance. That will cost you at least 10,000$ to 20,000$ IF there is no complications. 

Buy  some insurance ASAP.  It is what it is and no insurance will be free or cheap. 

So I can just go online and buy my own insurance? I don’t need a social security number or anything? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

If you need the truth, it will be stressfull for you. Health insurance is VERY expensive in the USA, but your expenses if you don't have an insurance will be even higher than if you had one. There's nothing free or cheap, do not even compare to your "free healthcare back home in the uk", it's a totally different story. Be ready to pay at least $15K-$20K out of your pocket to give a birth, if you have no insurance. It's if everything does go smoothly. It might be more if it does not.

Edited by Springrain22

8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Since the child will be a USC, there is possibly some aid available via Emergency Medicaid. This is not a means-tested benefit so it won't impact the public charge concern. As for details, unfortunately, I don't have those...and I think the process varies by state.

I hope all VJers will be respectful and helpful, but this is an open forum and users are permitted to post so long as it doesn't violate the VJ TOS. It is against the TOS to inhibit others from posting. So just ignore any advice that you don't find helpful, and/or report anything that you feel violates the TOS.

I did read something about Medicaid but didn’t know how that would work with the public charge concern. I think you can only apply for that if you are about to give birth. 

Thank you for your help

4 minutes ago, Springrain22 said:

If you need the truth, it will be stressfull for you. Health insurance is VERY expensive in the USA, but your expenses if you don't have an insurance will be even higher than if you had one. There's nothing free or cheap, do not even compare to your "free healthcare back home in the uk", it's totally different story. Be ready to pay $15K-$20K out of your pocket to give a birth, if you have no insurance.

I am totally willing to pay the insurance I don’t care how much that costs but didn’t think I could just go online and apply.. I thought I’d need to be on my husbands or have a ssn. that’s why I’m asking if anyone knows of another way rather than paying out of pocket. I’d rather pay a monthly fee for insurance than $600 for each visit (one clinic wanted that for each appointment) 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

When did you get married?

If you've found an OBGYN office you plan on sticking with call and ask about their billing options for having no insurance. They usually have a reduced rate for self paying patients. They can also give you options for if you don't have insurance further down the line. If you're not 12 or more weeks along yet you have a bit of time to sort some of your ducks out. The first couple of appointments can be pricey but some offices have payment plans available. Shop around. 

Whilst pregnancy itself isn't a life changing event, change of status is. We were able to get insurance through the healthcare marketplace with AOS pending but we had to call to get that sorted and it's only for a 90 day timeframe so if you're not that far in to the process it won't be a decent option since they cancel the policy if you don't provide the documents i.e. proof of status, SSN. 

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Scotty23 said:

I am totally willing to pay the insurance I don’t care how much that costs but didn’t think I could just go online and apply.. I thought I’d need to be on my husbands or have a ssn. that’s why I’m asking if anyone knows of another way rather than paying out of pocket. I’d rather pay a monthly fee for insurance than $600 for each visit (one clinic wanted that for each appointment) 

Go to a few insurance companies and apply, see what quote you get. Choose from what suits you best. The average price is 300-400 a month for a decent insurance (you still have deductibles to pay, but it's definitely not a "600 per visit" thing). You can also ask them about your future birth giving.

5 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

I would check with your husband’s insurance company again. Marriage and pregnancy qualify for an addition without it being in the open enrollment time. If that’s not possible, you’re gonna have to cough up the money for insurance until you’re available to enroll in your husband’s policy.  No insurance in America is a death sentence to be completely honest. You may be able to get some stuff done at planned parenthood if there is one close to where you live but you would still have to pay. Not as much as other places but still money. I don’t know if you can get vaccines at PP though but PP would be your best bet for your pregnancy if you don’t have insurance. But, girl, get insured ASAP. 

Ok thank you. I will ask him to check. Called planned parenthood and they weren’t helpful at all. So looking into insurance is a better option probably.  I just don’t know where to look

You don't have ssn? Why not? If your i94 is still valid, go get your number... or you'll be forced to wait months until you get your EAD

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

6 minutes ago, Ischnura said:

When did you get married?

If you've found an OBGYN office you plan on sticking with call and ask about their billing options for having no insurance. They usually have a reduced rate for self paying patients. They can also give you options for if you don't have insurance further down the line. If you're not 12 or more weeks along yet you have a bit of time to sort some of your ducks out. The first couple of appointments can be pricey but some offices have payment plans available. Shop around. 

Whilst pregnancy itself isn't a life changing event, change of status is. We were able to get insurance through the healthcare marketplace with AOS pending but we had to call to get that sorted and it's only for a 90 day timeframe so if you're not that far in to the process it won't be a decent option since they cancel the policy if you don't provide the documents i.e. proof of status, SSN. 

I got married July of last year. I have just been calling round asking prices so far, none of them have mentioned payment plans they have just told me the price for each visit. I have been out of status since August, so I don’t know if that would work for me? 

3 minutes ago, Roel said:

You don't have ssn? Why not? If your i94 is still valid, go get your number... or you'll be forced to wait months until you get your EAD.

IIRC, the OP came on an ESTA. They don't qualify for an SSN until they get an EAD or green card.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.