Moon&Stars

Police Certificate from Ghana while living abroad

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We are currently in the waiting process for our NOA2 and are trying to determine when to start attempting to obtain a police certificate from Ghana. My fiance is Ghanian but lives abroad, so he cannot go to Accra and have his fingerprints done for the certificate. Does anyone have experience of getting a police certificate remotely and how long did that process take you? Did is go smoothly? Any advice is welcome!

Per the NVC website:

Follow the advice for non-residents. 

Police Records

Ghana Police Clearance Certificate: Available. 

Non-residents should send a request via international courier (DHL or Fedex) and pay the round trip courier cost in advance. Accompanying the letter requesting the police certificate should be a receipt for a completed bank transfer of $200 to Ecobank Ghana (Main Headquarters), A/C 1101530940211, Commissioner of Police CID account. The international courier should deliver the documents to:

Commissioner of Police
Criminal Investigations
Department Headquarters
PO Box GP505
Accra, Ghana"

In addition, the applicant should also send the following documents/information:

• The Bio-page of Applicant's Passport
  • Two Passport-sized Photographs
  • Full Name of Applicant
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Father's Name
  • Mother's Name
  • Home Town
  • Occupation
  • List of All Schools Attended, including Year of Entry & Year of Completion
  • Contact Address
  • Email Address
  • Telephone Number

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, JFH said:

Per the NVC website:

Follow the advice for non-residents. 

Police Records

Ghana Police Clearance Certificate: Available. 

Non-residents should send a request via international courier (DHL or Fedex) and pay the round trip courier cost in advance. Accompanying the letter requesting the police certificate should be a receipt for a completed bank transfer of $200 to Ecobank Ghana (Main Headquarters), A/C 1101530940211, Commissioner of Police CID account. The international courier should deliver the documents to:

Commissioner of Police
Criminal Investigations
Department Headquarters
PO Box GP505
Accra, Ghana"

In addition, the applicant should also send the following documents/information:

• The Bio-page of Applicant's Passport
  • Two Passport-sized Photographs
  • Full Name of Applicant
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Father's Name
  • Mother's Name
  • Home Town
  • Occupation
  • List of All Schools Attended, including Year of Entry & Year of Completion
  • Contact Address
  • Email Address
  • Telephone Number

Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of this. I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience of how long it actually took when doing it this way. I've heard some horror stories that people have been trying to obtain one from abroad for months and it never arrived. Yet it's only valid for 6 months once it is actually issued. I'm trying to get the timing right so that we can minimize delays and not have it expire.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 11:13 AM, Moon&Stars said:

Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of this. I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience of how long it actually took when doing it this way. I've heard some horror stories that people have been trying to obtain one from abroad for months and it never arrived. Yet it's only valid for 6 months once it is actually issued. I'm trying to get the timing right so that we can minimize delays and not have it expire.

Hi! Just wondering if you ever got an answer on this, or started the process of getting the police clearance. My fiance is about to try and request one from Ghana but says the website is not even working. Any help or insight into the process is helpful. I'm worried about how long the process will take. Thanks ! 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:40 AM, Luna3716 said:

Hi! Just wondering if you ever got an answer on this, or started the process of getting the police clearance. My fiance is about to try and request one from Ghana but says the website is not even working. Any help or insight into the process is helpful. I'm worried about how long the process will take. Thanks ! 

No, I never got an answer. We are going to be submitting the request this month. Hopefully it won't be difficult to obtain it, but you never know.

On 7/12/2018 at 4:13 PM, Moon&Stars said:

No, I never got an answer. We are going to be submitting the request this month. Hopefully it won't be difficult to obtain it, but you never know.

Thanks! Apparently the website is still not working to request a police certificate for Ghana. Have you had any luck with the website at all? We are not sure how to go about requesting one if the website is down...

Timeline
22 hours ago, Luna3716 said:

Thanks! Apparently the website is still not working to request a police certificate for Ghana. Have you had any luck with the website at all? We are not sure how to go about requesting one if the website is down...

Oh no! I just spent some time trying to find a way to request it through another website or an indirect link. I couldn't find anything. I filled out their online chat feature, so maybe someone will be able to help that way. If we don't figure it out soon, my fiance who is originally from there, will probably have to call or have someone go on his behalf to figure out how to do this. Oh if only technology worked all of the time! He won't have a chance to work on running it down until the beginning of August, so if it's still not fixed by then and we figure something out, I'll be sure to share. Thanks!

On 7/16/2018 at 3:52 PM, Moon&Stars said:

Oh no! I just spent some time trying to find a way to request it through another website or an indirect link. I couldn't find anything. I filled out their online chat feature, so maybe someone will be able to help that way. If we don't figure it out soon, my fiance who is originally from there, will probably have to call or have someone go on his behalf to figure out how to do this. Oh if only technology worked all of the time! He won't have a chance to work on running it down until the beginning of August, so if it's still not fixed by then and we figure something out, I'll be sure to share. Thanks!

Hey good news! The website is now up and running. Looks like its $250 and should take 10 working days to get. :) We are submitting it today and will let you know how things go.

http://www.eservices.gov.gh/gps/SitePages/Online Services Details.aspx 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Luna3716 said:

Hey good news! The website is now up and running. Looks like its $250 and should take 10 working days to get. :) We are submitting it today and will let you know how things go.

http://www.eservices.gov.gh/gps/SitePages/Online Services Details.aspx 

This is GREAT news! Thank you!!! I just forwarded that on to my fiancé. He will probably complete it soon. Keep me posted how it works for you all! Best wishes on this journey for you, may it be quick and without any more problems!

Timeline

Were you able to get it submitted? We just tried and received an error message when attempting to submit the application. How did this process work for you?

On 7/26/2018 at 2:01 PM, Moon&Stars said:

Were you able to get it submitted? We just tried and received an error message when attempting to submit the application. How did this process work for you?

Yes we were! My fiance did it, I can ask him to see why he thinks you guys might be getting an error message. Maybe just try it again and make sure everything is filled out? They confirmed they received our payment for it and I think now are just waiting for their letter to arrive.

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Moon&Stars and Luna3716, were you successful submitting from abroad? Would you mind sharing how long it took for them to process? Also the instructions say to pay for the roundtrip courier cost in advance -- can you share how you did this? Do I get a quote from the courier for the cost and then add that to the bank transfer?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.