Sibo

K1 Interview and Previous Marriage

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Long story short, my fiancé and I started our relationship before my marriage was finalized. My ex husband and I at that time were separated but we could not get divorce officially until we return to China at the same time. Obviously we applied for the K1 petition after the divorce was finalized. Basically my fiancé and I started dating in August of 2016, my divorce was finalized in July 2017, then we filed K1 in August 2017. Now my interview with the GUZ/China embassy is in a week.

(I came to the US on a J2 visa and I had to apply for a 2 year waiver which was approved in January 2018)

I have read mix reviews on how consular judges past divorces. First a lot of people have said as long as we were legally free to marry by the time we file the K1, then it is ok. Others have said that the consular may have moral standards and he/she could very well deny my visa because my divorce was not finalized before I moved on with my life. 

Does anyone have similar situation and how it affected the interview?

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sibo said:

Hi All,

Long story short, my fiancé and I started our relationship before my marriage was finalized. My ex husband and I at that time were separated but we could not get divorce officially until we return to China at the same time. Obviously we applied for the K1 petition after the divorce was finalized. Basically my fiancé and I started dating in August of 2016, my divorce was finalized in July 2017, then we filed K1 in August 2017. Now my interview with the GUZ/China embassy is in a week.

(I came to the US on a J2 visa and I had to apply for a 2 year waiver which was approved in January 2018)

I have read mix reviews on how consular judges past divorces. First a lot of people have said as long as we were legally free to marry by the time we file the K1, then it is ok. Others have said that the consular may have moral standards and he/she could very well deny my visa because my divorce was not finalized before I moved on with my life. 

Does anyone have similar situation and how it affected the interview?

Thanks

It might be better to ask this question in the China sub-forum as a lot of this can vary from office to office.  For USCIS as long as you were legally able to get married again it should not be an issue.  For the embassy interview I'd expect them to ask questions about the timeline, and to make sure the beneficiary seems to know everything about it and nothing was hidden. 

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/94-china/

K1 / K2 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Kyiv, Ukriane

I-129-F mailed to USCIS 2017-11-10

Case Status received (NOA1) by USCIS: 2017-11-14

Check cashed: 2017-11-17

Case Received Email Notification: 2017-11-17

Case status available on myUSCIS: 2017-11-20

NOA1 Hardcopy received by mail: 2017-11-24

NOA2 Approval (204 days): 2018-06-06

Approval status updated on  new website: 2018-06-08

-- no updates on old website, no text, no email --

NOA2 Hardcopy received by mail: 2018-06-12

NVC Case Number Generated (21 days since NOA2): 2018-06-27

Case Left NVC: 2018-07-10 (13 days at NVC)

Case Received by Embassy: 2018-07-12 (2 days travel time!)

Medical Exam: 2018-07-16

Interview: 2018-08-08 (Approved)

Entry: 2018-09-19 (Chicago POE)

Marriage: 2018-10-12

"New" Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

"Old" Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.