Klwintersmith

Montreal K1 visa experience!

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our interview was this morning at 8! We were approved!!!! Yaaay!!! This process is a stressful one not going to lie to anyone. It took us over a year from start to finish. 

I'll give some tips to anyone going through the process in Montreal! 

1. Be there at least 20-30 minutes early! The appointment times don't mean anything...it's whoever gets there first gets in first (if you're in the same time). So we had our appointment for 8 we got there at 725 and there was already 5 people in front of us! The consulate doesn't open until 730 but we got there early to get ahead of the line.

2. The guards are nice very professional. 

3. We brought our cell phones they just took them at the door and gave them back when we left.

4. Once inside there are snack and drink vending machines but when we went the drink machine was broken (there is a water fountain by the men's washroom). The machines take Canadian currency. We weren't sure so we brought both types just to be safe.

5. Small kids play area with books.

6. We had a lady at the first window (brown hair and glasses) that was amazing!! Same with the lady conducting the actual interview. 

7. All the staff was very understanding of our toddlers energy and need to run. 

8. The actual interview took all of 5 minutes (how we met, how long we have dated, what he does for work, etc) simple relationship questions that anyone should know!

9. There is a photobooth in the elevator waiting area for visa pictures in case you forgot them. It charges $10 for them. We didn't use it so not sure if it's cash or card but either way it's there.

10. We entered the building at about 745 and were completely done and on our way by 9! 

The best thing to do is to breathe try not to be nervous. The interview seemed to be the easiest part of the whole year long process! 

Timeline

Thanks for the info and CONGRATULATIONS!!! My interview is June 6th.  Could you please reply here when you find out that your visa has been mailed? And when you receive it?  I'm trying to figure out how quick I can be on my way to the States after the interview. 

Edited by reblem14

Timeline

Congratulations! I started process in July 2017 (date I received NOA1) and nearing the end I hope! quick timeline question if u don't mind .. on may 9th , 2018 I received a notice stating my case had been forwarded from NVC to Montreal. How long did it take for you to get a letter from Montreal with additional info (i.e. appointment date)? I'm not really sure what happens next. I know I'm sitting here waiting..im just not sure what I'm waiting for exactly...a letter to arrive I think :( Thanks for the help!! #movingtoMichigan :)

Edited by Canadiancubicle

Timeline
15 hours ago, reblem14 said:

Thanks for the info and CONGRATULATIONS!!! My interview is June 6th.  Could you please reply here when you find out that your visa has been mailed? And when you receive it?  I'm trying to figure out how quick I can be on my way to the States after the interview. 

i had in interview in Montreal May 22, my appointment time was 7:30 i got there at 6:55 (4 people ahead of me also), everything above is exactly as it is quick easy.

I was out of the interview and back at my hotel by 8:30. I check on the Ceac site at 11:00am and it said Administrative Processing. I received an email May 23 at 11:00 am that my pass port was ready to ship. I got an update from Canada post via email that it was being picked up yesterday afternoon, check this morning it says I will be able to pick it up today.

Interview May 22 pick up passport at Calgary post office May 24 I couldn't find anywhere any good info about priority shipment so i just decided to save the $20 and pick it up and I'm thinking that might of been just as fast if not faster to just pick up the passport.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Canadiancubicle said:

Congratulations! I started process in July 2017 (date I received NOA1) and nearing the end I hope! quick timeline question if u don't mind .. on may 9th , 2018 I received a notice stating my case had been forwarded from NVC to Montreal. How long did it take for you to get a letter from Montreal with additional info (i.e. appointment date)? I'm not really sure what happens next. I know I'm sitting here waiting..im just not sure what I'm waiting for exactly...a letter to arrive I think :( Thanks for the help!! #movingtoMichigan :)

The next thing you will receive is an email or a letter from the Montreal Consulate with Packet 3 instructions. (Can't get a straight answer if it comes by email or mail) Some swear Montreal only corresponds by email, others swear they got their Packet 3 instructions by mail. 

I'm in the same boat as you it seems. My case has been at the Montreal Consulate since May 8 and I have not heard a word yet. Another member had their case received by Montreal on Friday, and they received their email with Packet 3 instructions on the following Tuesday! I don't know why it's quicker for some than others. Hopefully we hear something soon! 

K-1 Visa AOS Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

10/18/18 - Sent AOS Package to Chicago

10/25/18 - USCIS took AOS fee (credit card payment)

10/30/18 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

11/02/18 - Biometrics Appointment Letter & NOA1 Hard Copies Received

11/13/18 - Biometrics Appointment

11/13/18 - Received RFIE (forgot to include husband’s full tax return)

11/13/18 - AOS status updated to "On November 13, We Sent You A Request For Initial Evidence"

11/29/18 - RFIE response delivered to USCIS

03/25/19 - AOS status updated to "Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview"

04/02/19 - AOS status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled"

04/04/19 - Received Interview Letter

05/07/19 - Green Card Interview - Baltimore (did not get on the spot approval)

05/07/19 - AOS status updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed"

05/29/19 - EAD status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced"

06/01/19 - EAD & AP 1-797 hard copies received

06/02/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Mailed To Me"

06/03/19 - Received updated SSN card with married name.

06/03/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By USPS"

06/04/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office"

06/04/19 - Received Combo Card in the mail

07/13/19 - AOS status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced"

07/16/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Mailed To Me"

07/17/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By USPS"

07/19/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office"

07/19/19 - Received Green Card in the mail

Timeline
1 hour ago, TNTidaho said:

i had in interview in Montreal May 22, my appointment time was 7:30 i got there at 6:55 (4 people ahead of me also), everything above is exactly as it is quick easy.

I was out of the interview and back at my hotel by 8:30. I check on the Ceac site at 11:00am and it said Administrative Processing. I received an email May 23 at 11:00 am that my pass port was ready to ship. I got an update from Canada post via email that it was being picked up yesterday afternoon, check this morning it says I will be able to pick it up today.

Interview May 22 pick up passport at Calgary post office May 24 I couldn't find anywhere any good info about priority shipment so i just decided to save the $20 and pick it up and I'm thinking that might of been just as fast if not faster to just pick up the passport.

Awesome, that's such a fast turn around!  For me it'll be mailed from Montreal to Ottawa so it should be there in the same amount of time or faster.  That's such good news!   Is it shipped Canada Post XpressPost?   Congratulations on you approval :) 

~~moved to embassy and consulate discussion from K1 process and procedures.  Topic is about interview at consulate~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Just  a quick update ..i received my packet 3 instructions in mail on Monday :) ( im a july 2017 filer ) . Another quick question... in the list of docs required in the instructions..its says "police certificate" . What is that?? Is it something i need to contact my local police dept to get? I dont have any offences except for speeding tickets. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Canadiancubicle said:

Just  a quick update ..i received my packet 3 instructions in mail on Monday :) ( im a july 2017 filer ) . Another quick question... in the list of docs required in the instructions..its says "police certificate" . What is that?? Is it something i need to contact my local police dept to get? I dont have any offences except for speeding tickets. 

Yes, you need to get a criminal record check through the police. If you don't have a criminal record, you just need the one where they search name & dob for any criminal record. You can probably do it online if you go to the website of your local police. I did mine online and received it in about 3 business days. It was around $50. 

K-1 Visa AOS Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

11/13/18 - AOS status updated to "On November 13, We Sent You A Request For Initial Evidence"

05/07/19 - AOS status updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed"

Timeline

Thanks for the criminal record check info. I found the website and submitted the request online. Should be here in 2-3 days :)  Total cost $62.15 with tax. 

Timeline
20 hours ago, Canadiancubicle said:

Thanks for the criminal record check info. I found the website and submitted the request online. Should be here in 2-3 days :)  Total cost $62.15 with tax. 

Awesome! :)

K-1 Visa AOS Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

Timeline
On 5/24/2018 at 10:58 AM, reblem14 said:

Awesome, that's such a fast turn around!  For me it'll be mailed from Montreal to Ottawa so it should be there in the same amount of time or faster.  That's such good news!   Is it shipped Canada Post XpressPost?   Congratulations on you approval :) 

Ottawa here too! :D

K-1 Visa AOS Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

21 hours ago, Canadiancubicle said:

Make sure you get a physical copy.  A photocopy or printed copy is not good enough.  Needs an embossed seal. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks for this review! So detailed! For evidence, did you bring copies of your entire petition? My fiance and I have been together for 7 years and we have a hefty amount of documents for evidence (leases, insurance contracts, plane tickets all over, etc,etc) I'm thinking of bringing only key documents instead of every page sent with the 129f (our petition was 200+ pages) 😲

Timeline

oh gosh. i didnt know about the embossed seal?? The website i went to https://www.commissionaires.ca didnt have that option. It only offered an "enhanced" check but that required a fingerprint scan. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.