Jenny17655

Question about waivers and extreme hardship

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

OK maybe I am misunderstanding this completely but I am very confused.  Hypothetical scenario, say someone has their visa denied because of minor drug offense from long ago.  The embassy says this offense is eligible for a waiver.  So now the applicant has to prove extreme hardship for the waiver to be approved????  The extreme hardship would qualify for an expedite, I thought.  Most people do not fit the extreme hardship category.  So although they are eligible for a waiver they probably won't get it.  If I am completely wrong please explain to me what I am missing.

Filed: Timeline
22 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

OK maybe I am misunderstanding this completely but I am very confused.  Hypothetical scenario, say someone has their visa denied because of minor drug offense from long ago.  The embassy says this offense is eligible for a waiver.  So now the applicant has to prove extreme hardship for the waiver to be approved????  The extreme hardship would qualify for an expedite, I thought.  Most people do not fit the extreme hardship category.  So although they are eligible for a waiver they probably won't get it.  If I am completely wrong please explain to me what I am missing.

The petitioner (not the visa applicant) must prove an extreme hardship to the petitioner to qualify for the waiver.  An extreme hardship to the applicant is irrelevant.

USCIS is not going to expedite an extreme hardship request. 

If they don't meet the extreme hardship requirement, they aren't eligible for the waiver.  (There is no such thing as not meeting the extreme hardship requirement and being eligible for the waiver.  Being able to apply for a waiver is not the same as being eligible for a waiver.  Many can apply, but only some are eligible after proving their extreme hardships.)

What is this hypothetical minor drug offense from long ago?  

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Theoretical a waiver can be expedited, most waivers would be I 601's which take c 14 months.

Usually the Petitioner would engage the service of a Lawyer, some people are capable of DIY but seems not that case here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

The petitioner (not the visa applicant) must prove an extreme hardship to the petitioner to qualify for the waiver.  An extreme hardship to the applicant is irrelevant.

USCIS is not going to expedite an extreme hardship request. 

If they don't meet the extreme hardship requirement, they aren't eligible for the waiver.  (There is no such thing as not meeting the extreme hardship requirement and being eligible for the waiver.  Being able to apply for a waiver is not the same as being eligible for a waiver.  Many can apply, but only some are eligible after proving their extreme hardships.)

What is this hypothetical minor drug offense from long ago?  

From my hours of reading in the forums I see that a one time marijuana offense would be the only drug related incident, for example, that may be eligible for a waiver.  So then the USC has to prove extreme hardship for beneficiary to benefit from that waiver???

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Very much depend on the particular situation, obviously may drug issues are not waiverable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

From my hours of reading in the forums I see that a one time marijuana offense would be the only drug related incident, for example, that may be eligible for a waiver.  So then the USC has to prove extreme hardship for beneficiary to benefit from that waiver???

For a hypothetical, you got some specific concerns there.  Read the waiver instructions to see if your beneficiary may be eligible for the waiver.  It depends on what the beneficiary's hypothetical drug offenses are.

The USC has to prove an extreme hardship to him/her in order for the beneficiary to get the waiver.  It has to be more than merely missing the person.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

For a hypothetical, you got some specific concerns there.  Read the waiver instructions to see if your beneficiary may be eligible for the waiver.  It depends on what the beneficiary's hypothetical drug offenses are.

The USC has to prove an extreme hardship to him/her in order for the beneficiary to get the waiver.  It has to be more than merely missing the person.

Well you asked for a specific example so I just tried to give you one.  This is not MY concern as I haven't even received my NOA2 yet.  I was just trying to understand how the waiver eligibility and extreme hardship go together. I have had 6 months to read everything and this is unclear to me

Edited by Jenny17655

An extreme hardship to qualify for a waiver is different than a expedite request. A hardship can include separation from children, mental issues requiring care, physical issues requiring assistance, etc. Specifics matter, and a well presented waiver goes a long way.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration Discussion, from K1 P&P - The OP is asking a hypothetical question.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.