OnwardUs

Attorneys for online consultations for diversity lottery

15 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, OnwardUs said:

I scheduled an online consultation with an attorney and told me his firm does not give advice on diversity lotteries.

Are there any attorneys that offer online consultation for diversity lottery?

What is your question because we might be able to help you out.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

There are very few attorneys that advise correctly on the Diversity Lottery.  Message either me or SusieQQQ if it's personal.  DV was our path to get to the US and we might be able to help you out.  Or, at the very least, identify if you really do need an attorney (DV is very specific and there's little an attorney can do for you).

Alternatively, go to the Britsimonsays website (google it).  He will likely have an answer for you.

Edited by EmilyW

1 hour ago, EmilyW said:

There are very few attorneys that advise correctly on the Diversity Lottery.  Message either me or SusieQQQ if it's personal.  DV was our path to get to the US and we might be able to help you out.  Or, at the very least, identify if you really do need an attorney (DV is very specific and there's little an attorney can do for you).

Alternatively, go to the Britsimonsays website (google it).  He will likely have an answer for you.

What she said

many attorneys mess up DV rather than help, because it’s a pretty small part of overall immigration and the overwhelming majority of people process it themselves so very few attorneys actually understand it. 

unless you need a waiver or something (and the time limits of DV make a successful waiver process fairly unlikely) there’s unlikely to be a need for an attorney. Who advised you to get one? If it’s an online attorney website, that’s what they always say to everyone...

Edited by SusieQQQ

3 minutes ago, OnwardUs said:

Reddit and I might need a waiver.

Reddit um ok

so the way the waiver process works is this: you go for an interview, you get denied if there is a problem, the interviewing officer will tell you if there is a waiver available, and if so you apply for that waiver and wait to see the outcome, if it’s granted you will get the DV. Now the issue is that waivers can take months to process (I’m not sure exactly the length but I know it’s long), and all diversity visas have to be issued by the end of the fiscal year. So this may work if you have a low case number and are scheduled early in the fiscal year. If your case number is high and scheduled later there is almost no chance the process will be completed in time even if you qualify for a waiver. 

Now i know you don’t want to divulge too much but this is the Internet, we don’t know who you are, and if you state what the waiver is for there will hopefully be someone who can at least indicated what the processing time for that type of waiver usually is. Also if you can give us a slightly blanked version of your case number (x out the last 2 digits if it’s a 3 digit number, or the last 3 otherwise eg EU12xxx) we can try figure out how low or high it might be, though there is some guesswork in that.

by the way if it’s a waiver involved you don’t need an attorney who does DV, you need an attorney that does waivers for immigration cases.

7 minutes ago, OnwardUs said:

Thanks. We have already spoken about this in a PM. I just want to consult a lawyer on what would be the best way to present my case in the DS260 form, and whether it would be worth applying since it can have potential ramifications.

My Case number is 00012XXX

I’m also not sure what you mean by “best way to present” in the DS260, the form is a series of questions that requires factual answers. They are either accurate or they are not. So I have to assume at this point that you will be answering yes to one of the questions that requires you to explain the circumstances. In that case yes it’s probably worth contacting a lawyer to check on the likelihood of you being granted a waiver in your particular circumstances. 

Hmm, the timing could be very tight. That number was only current in March in the current fiscal year,although it has been earlier in some past years.  So if the waiver process takes 6 months or longer, it could be a problem. They will also need to reallocate a visa number to you as your original one will be reallocated to someone else if there is an initial refusal. The closer to the end of the fiscal year you get, the riskier that is.

i do agree with Emily that you should probably ask on the britsimonsays site too, and see if his view is different.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Immigrant waivers are taking c 14 months, I601.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Immigrant waivers are taking c 14 months, I601.

Wow 

yes then if a waiver is needed no way it will get done in time even if OP interviews on day 1 of the fiscal year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.