Citizen24

I just graduated and I'm moving to USA, how do I find a job

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am 21 years old, I graduated college in 2017 and acquired my Bachelor in Commerce in India. I went for Masters in Commerce Part 1, which is a degree in itself. This marked the completion of 16 years of education for me.

I have cleared 2 levels of Chartered Accountancy in India (equivalent of CPA in India) and worked as an article in a CA Firm for about 10 months. Then I got preoccupied with the green card processing, so I took up a simple Content Writing internship as a work from home thing to earn some extra bucks.

I want to pursue Masters in Finance in USA along with CFA and I am planning on starting college in Fall or Winter 2019.

I want to work somewhere in USA, something with a finance background, before I start applying for college.

Do you think I can get a job or an internship that will not only give me with some practical understanding of the subject and  help me with college applications, but also earn me some decent amount of money? I'm not expecting a big pay, just something to get me through the month is okay too; given that I'm a fresher.

Any help is greatly appreciated :) 

Sure, just look around for job offers and pretty sure you'll find something . Do your own research. Send out resumes. This is not something we can do for you. ;)

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Roel said:

Sure, just look around for job offers and pretty sure you'll find something . Do your own research. Send out resumes. This is not something we can do for you. ;)

Oh yeah of course I dont expect help in that respect.

I just asked this question to get an idea of whether I am qualified to find a good job or internship there with my qualifications. If not, what else do I need to do as preparation before I land there.

36 minutes ago, uv1996 said:

Hi everyone,

I am 21 years old, I graduated college in 2017 and acquired my Bachelor in Commerce in India. I went for Masters in Commerce Part 1, which is a degree in itself. This marked the completion of 16 years of education for me.

I have cleared 2 levels of Chartered Accountancy in India (equivalent of CPA in India) and worked as an article in a CA Firm for about 10 months. Then I got preoccupied with the green card processing, so I took up a simple Content Writing internship as a work from home thing to earn some extra bucks.

I want to pursue Masters in Finance in USA along with CFA and I am planning on starting college in Fall or Winter 2019.

I want to work somewhere in USA, something with a finance background, before I start applying for college.

Do you think I can get a job or an internship that will not only give me with some practical understanding of the subject and  help me with college applications, but also earn me some decent amount of money? I'm not expecting a big pay, just something to get me through the month is okay too; given that I'm a fresher.

Any help is greatly appreciated :) 

Hi I can tell u it's easy read in being with work permits now being slowed down by ucis it's become difficult to work in the US as a foreigner. However the process works line this u have to locate companies that are willing to hire u according to ur qualifications but the catch is this there cannot be any US person that can do ur job or have ur qualifications. If they cannot find one they can then offer u the job. There are two types of ways one if the company requires u then they can process ur work permit however if the company still needs but says in order for u to get this job u have to do ur own work permit then u will have to do it thru the normal channels at ur closest US embassy. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Davidg74 said:

Hi I can tell u it's easy read in being with work permits now being slowed down by ucis it's become difficult to work in the US as a foreigner. However the process works line this u have to locate companies that are willing to hire u according to ur qualifications but the catch is this there cannot be any US person that can do ur job or have ur qualifications. If they cannot find one they can then offer u the job. There are two types of ways one if the company requires u then they can process ur work permit however if the company still needs but says in order for u to get this job u have to do ur own work permit then u will have to do it thru the normal channels at ur closest US embassy. 

I have a green card. Do I still have to do this entire procedure? 

Timeline
Just now, Davidg74 said:

Nope ur set all u need to do is go back to the US and just look for a job 

Thank you so much for your help :) 

Just a question..

In your opinion, do you think I'll be able to find myself a finance internship to work at before applying for college? Given that I dont have any background in Finance but in Accountancy?

2 minutes ago, uv1996 said:

Thank you so much for your help :) 

Just a question..

In your opinion, do you think I'll be able to find myself a finance internship to work at before applying for college? Given that I dont have any background in Finance but in Accountancy?

Best advice  is try. There are companies out there u just need to look around in the area u gonna live. U can also try monster careers.com set up a free acct with them fill in ur details and look for jobs there plus add ur resume so companies and search for ur qualifications. 

Timeline
Just now, Davidg74 said:

Best advice  is try. There are companies out there u just need to look around in the area u gonna live. U can also try monster careers.com set up a free acct with them fill in ur details and look for jobs there plus add ur resume so companies and search for ur qualifications. 

Alright thanks, you've been a great help :) 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

For all things job-related, I always recommend the blog AskAManager.org, which is written by a hiring manager and has really practical advice on everything from resume writing to interviewing and beyond. Best wishes!

Filed: Timeline

With a green card, you are authorized to work.  This is an immigration board, not a job search board.  If you want help with immigration matters, then VJ is a good resource.  VJ is not a good resource for looking for a job.  You should try the job boards; Indeed, Monster, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Having a degree helps a lot but foreign diplomas and degrees are not a guaranteed. I've been here for 6 years and although it has not being quite a challenge, you need to be ready for the idea of starting on a really basic/entry position and work your way up. But definitely having the knowledge, a degree, speaking decent English and working towards an US degree  will definitely help you to later find a job the suits your experience.

Many Universities have HR department that can help you find paid and unpaid internships. I worked for PricewaterhouseCooper (PWC) for several years and they love to recruit people like you: fresh out of college and with no experience or relative short term experience. KPMG, Ernst&Young have the same process

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline
3 hours ago, Amit&Julie said:

For all things job-related, I always recommend the blog AskAManager.org, which is written by a hiring manager and has really practical advice on everything from resume writing to interviewing and beyond. Best wishes!

Thank you so much :)) I'll definitely check it out.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Andrea&Henry said:

Having a degree helps a lot but foreign diplomas and degrees are not a guaranteed. I've been here for 6 years and although it has not being quite a challenge, you need to be ready for the idea of starting on a really basic/entry position and work your way up. But definitely having the knowledge, a degree, speaking decent English and working towards an US degree  will definitely help you to later find a job the suits your experience.

Many Universities have HR department that can help you find paid and unpaid internships. I worked for PricewaterhouseCooper (PWC) for several years and they love to recruit people like you: fresh out of college and with no experience or relative short term experience. KPMG, Ernst&Young have the same process

Yes I am prepared to start off with an entry level job in my field. 

This is great advice, thank you so much :) I will definitely look into it :) Thanks again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

You can’t just pack up and decide to move here if you’re not a citizen or an LPR. You’d have to find on your own a company that would give you a job and sponsor you with a work visa. You gotta apply and get all the stuff and your visa before coming here. It’s not a simple “I wanna move and I have a degree” situation. Unfortunately your degree and education is something very common in the US and there are a lot of people with the same background and education as you who are citizens or LPR. So you’re gonna have to fight all that because you’re gonna have to prove to the company that would be sponsoring you that you are better than all of the people here already. So good luck with that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.