67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will only have one pack of birth control on me when I move to the US next month. What are my options as far as continuing to stay on BC?

My doctor here in Canada has given me refills for a year, but I only get about 3 packs at a time. My mom has offered to get my prescription from the pharmacy and then get them to me when she comes to visit. Is this illegal/not the right way to go about it?

I really have no idea what to do.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The US has a cool thing called Planned Parenthood. You can go there and make an appointment (or just walk-in) and get birth control through them if you like. You don't need insurance but you'll have to pay. Not too much though. Though they aren't in every city so check it out. 

But having your mom bring it for you will also probably work. My US doctor suggested the same thing when I moved to Germany. 

Nebraska Service Centre / Frankfurt Embassy

2016/03/30 - Married!

2017/07/14 - Sent off our I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox (Filed from abroad)

2017/07/24 - NOA1 (sent to Nebraska)

2018/03/02 - NOA2 (Approved!)

2018/03/19 - "We sent your petition to the Department of State"

2018/03/23 - NVC received petition

2018/05/17 - Case# received and fees paid

2018/05/21 - Case# changed -- can't log in with the new one so "we've sent in a 'ticket' to get it fixed"

2018/05/22 - Scan date. Ticket worked, submitted all our paperwork until the wee hours of the morning. 

2018/06/11 - CC!!! "Documentarily Qualified"

2018/06/25 - Got interview date for July 11; but we must reschedule for August. 

2018/06/26 - Medical

2018/06/28 - New interview date received (for August 13th)

2018/08/13 - Interview in Frankfurt!!! They asked for certified translations.

2018/08/28 - Sent in translations

2018/09/06 - CEAC status changed to "ISSUED!!!"

2018/09/13 - Passport received in the mail! Everything is beautiful.

Timeline
Just now, jesserz said:

The US has a cool thing called Planned Parenthood. You can go there and make an appointment (or just walk-in) and get birth control through them if you like. You don't need insurance but you'll have to pay. Not too much though. Though they aren't in every city so check it out. 

But having your mom bring it for you will also probably work. My US doctor suggested the same thing when I moved to Germany. 

I'd prefer my mom just bringing it to me so I can stay on the same pill. I'm just worried of getting in trouble somehow, for some reason. This is allowed?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Can you buy them online from a DEA approved distributor? If not, have your mom bring the first batch and once you get health insurance, you can start getting them here or check if Planned Parenthood is an option for non-residents. I've had 6 months of supply with me when i came over :D

Timeline
Just now, madiartzer said:

I'd prefer my mom just bringing it to me so I can stay on the same pill. I'm just worried of getting in trouble somehow, for some reason. This is allowed?

Have you checked if the pill is available here? If it is, there's a high chance your new physician will take that into account and not switch it.

Timeline

This links to a pdf but it's official :

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/foreign_countries.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi5k_CWzpjbAhULr6QKHUjmAFwQFggnMAE&usg=AOvVaw35AAFi_bTvH6hzjT3KncRo

So yes, she can. So long as she's not distributing it and it's no more than 3 months worth. 

2016/03/30 - Married!

2017/07/14 - Sent off our I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox (Filed from abroad)

2018/05/21 - Case# changed -- can't log in with the new one so "we've sent in a 'ticket' to get it fixed"

2018/05/22 - Scan date. Ticket worked, submitted all our paperwork until the wee hours of the morning. 

2018/06/26 - Medical

Timeline
1 minute ago, iulia.matey said:

Have you checked if the pill is available here? If it is, there's a high chance your new physician will take that into account and not switch it.

No I haven't! The brand I'm on is Canadian I'm pretty sure, so I just assumed it wasn't in the US, how do I check this? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, madiartzer said:

No I haven't! The brand I'm on is Canadian I'm pretty sure, so I just assumed it wasn't in the US, how do I check this? 

Hmm i've looked by brand and "usa price" to see if/where i'd be able to find it. If a chain pharmacy holds it you'll have no issues getting it anywhere in the country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the "Moving to the US" forum -- topic isn't a visa process.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

4 hours ago, madiartzer said:

I will only have one pack of birth control on me when I move to the US next month. What are my options as far as continuing to stay on BC?

My doctor here in Canada has given me refills for a year, but I only get about 3 packs at a time. My mom has offered to get my prescription from the pharmacy and then get them to me when she comes to visit. Is this illegal/not the right way to go about it?

I really have no idea what to do.

Birth control are prescription in Canada?  Are they cheap? Seems as if countries that make the prescription in order to charge more for them.

We tried the Planned parenthood thing in USA, You have to make and appointment and pay like $120 for and exam, then they will write  a script and we paid like $30 to $35 per each month pills.

What we do now is when my wife goes home to Philippines she just buys them there which in just and OTC, and gets a name brand made by Pfizzer for like $3 per month, vs the 10 times cost in USA.

We made a trip to Cancun over Christmas and picked up a year supply there at a pharmacy,  Cost was inline with Philippines price and it was OTC as well.   

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

21 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Birth control are prescription in Canada?  Are they cheap? Seems as if countries that make the prescription in order to charge more for them.

We tried the Planned parenthood thing in USA, You have to make and appointment and pay like $120 for and exam, then they will write  a script and we paid like $30 to $35 per each month pills.

What we do now is when my wife goes home to Philippines she just buys them there which in just and OTC, and gets a name brand made by Pfizzer for like $3 per month, vs the 10 times cost in USA.

We made a trip to Cancun over Christmas and picked up a year supply there at a pharmacy,  Cost was inline with Philippines price and it was OTC as well.   

Oh lord... I have a prescription for birth control in the USA and it's free with my health insurance.  I have yet to pay for birth control in the USA. 

When I was in Canada it was $20 a month for pills, a little more for the ring, and $90 for 3m for the depo-shot. 

OP I suggest trying to see if they have it down here, get a written prescription from your doctor.  They may provide you with the generic version.  You can ask for the non-generic of course and without health insurance it'll be approximately the same price in Canada. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline
8 hours ago, jesserz said:

This links to a pdf but it's official :

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/foreign_countries.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi5k_CWzpjbAhULr6QKHUjmAFwQFggnMAE&usg=AOvVaw35AAFi_bTvH6hzjT3KncRo

So yes, she can. So long as she's not distributing it and it's no more than 3 months worth. 

Mom can't bring it over.  It's not for her own use. 

From your PDF:  The individual seeking to import the drug affirms that the drug is for the patient’s own use and provides the name and address of the doctor licensed in the U.S. responsible for his or her treatment with the product, or provides evidence that the product is for continuation of treatment begun in a foreign country.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

Mom can't bring it over.  It's not for her own use. 

From your PDF:  The individual seeking to import the drug affirms that the drug is for the patient’s own use and provides the name and address of the doctor licensed in the U.S. responsible for his or her treatment with the product, or provides evidence that the product is for continuation of treatment begun in a foreign country.

Good looking out.

2016/03/30 - Married!

2018/06/26 - Medical

Timeline
4 hours ago, NikLR said:

Oh lord... I have a prescription for birth control in the USA and it's free with my health insurance.  I have yet to pay for birth control in the USA. 

When I was in Canada it was $20 a month for pills, a little more for the ring, and $90 for 3m for the depo-shot. 

OP I suggest trying to see if they have it down here, get a written prescription from your doctor.  They may provide you with the generic version.  You can ask for the non-generic of course and without health insurance it'll be approximately the same price in Canada. 

I believe that the brand I’m on currently is already a generic version! So I could ask my doctor to provide me with a written prescription and get that filled in the US?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.